Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

clutch weekend blues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch weekend blues...

hi all! i dunno if you remember me talking about my clutch being all messed up.... well the clutch cylinder and how i couldnt get it off.

well on sat. my friend helped me get the line out of the master clutch cyl. after we replaced the cyl... it shifted like a dream! OMG it was like 1000% better! no trouble shifting.... no grinding!

so this sun and mon my gf and i were going to go on a trip to San Diego and stay at a nice hotel! on our way down to san diego, we stoped and an in and out for some lunch. while in the drive thru line.... im sitting with my clutch peddle depressed and all of a sudden... CRACK! omg wtf was that? my clutch peddle felt all weird.... it wasnt depressing properly.... OMG!

i get my food and stuggle to the parking lot. in order to go from stop to first gear...i have to turn off the trukc, put it in first.... hold the clutch down, and start the engine with the "CLUTCH START CANCEL" button! i lunge forward and shift from there.

i inspected the new cyl.... it was ok. i look under my dash... and low and behold.... the metal bracketing that holds the pedal cracked! OMG! ARGH!

so yeh... wat a bummer. my gf was upset that we couldnt go to san diego. so there was a holiday inn in that same parking lot so we stayed the night there.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:23 PM

some pics of the damage

ok so i finally get the bracket out from under the dash. dang it was a pain in the arse! i checked out the write up on how to replace that plastic bushing for the clutch spring... looks like those are seperate brackets for the clutch and the brake!
UNFORTUNATELY it wasnt for mine! its ONE HUGE bracket. it was a TIGHT squeeze but i got it out of there! what a lame designe to put both brackets together! ARG!

the complete bracket, minus the brake pedal... i had to take that out so i could get the bracket out.
complete bracket

crack

crack

crack

toyota wanted $150 for the bracket! FORGET THAT! imma have my dad weld it for me

Last edited by joshik; 10-13-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:20 PM

Yep, that crack looks about right. It's not too common of a problem but it does happen, usually to people running heavier clutches like a centerforce. Just weld it up and it'll be better than new.

Oh, and if your clutch pedal has any play in the pivot bushings REPLACE THEM NOW!!! I'm not sure about your truck but in mine ('86) you can't get the bolt out with the bracket on the firewall, you have to pull the whole thing out to get to them. I'd say do them now no matter what shape they're in, can't hurt.

Last edited by Shane; 10-13-2003 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

clutch bracket

Same thing happened to me about a month ago.
Costs about $300 for the bracket, 2 hours labour.
I also had to have my tranny removed, to replace a bolt I broke from forcing the shifter...no choice...I was enroute to pick up my gf at the airport and 'sorry honey' wasn't going to cut it!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:19 PM

My clutch bracket is all repaired now. I installed it after i got home from work today! it took a lil while to installl but i got it in.

one question though.... now that i have a new master clutch cyl and a fixed bracket.... the clutch engages at the VERY TOP ... like the last INCH or so of the release. Its totally different from how it used to feel. Maybe im just used to a crappy clutch pedal... but now that its fixed, im not used to a proper pedal?

wat do u guys thinK?
Old 10-15-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Clutch release

Had mine done about 3 weeks prior to the bracket.
The release point is the opposite...very low and close to the floor...maybe an inch out.
One of us is set up wrong and I'm hoping it's YOU but knowing my luck with this rig it's gonna be me.
Maybe one of the wrenchers here will chime in with the correct answer...
Old 10-15-2003, 10:55 AM

how would we have set it up wrong? before the whole broken bracket, i replaced my clutch master cylinder. it made the clutch feel SOOOO much better than it did before! it was more "stiff" and the tranny shifted so easily! i did notice that the clutch engaged a little higher in the release but not like it is now.

now that i took off and replaced the bracket, it engages REALLY high in the release. i didnt change/adj the cyl or anything. just the bracket.

can we adjust the clutch pedal somehow?

one note, maybe its my clutch disc? while i was trying to drive home after the pedal broke.... in order to go from stop to 1st gear... i had to turn the truck off, put it in 1st, push the clutch down as much as i could, start the engine with the "clutch start cancel" button, and the truck would lunge forward and start to roll and then id just shift from there with no clutch. did i mess up the clutch? I HOPE its not that! i have a centerforce and dont want to buy a new one yet!
Old 10-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

There is a limited range of adjustment, but I didn't do the clutch myself, so I don't know how it's done.
Here's a link to a really good site that has .pdf files you can look through:
http://www.net-impress.com/4runner/cd/
Maybe you'll find it in the transmission section.
I don't think your clutch is fried, though.