CB radio mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 10:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
CB radio mod

Yep, even the CBs get a treat to a mod now and then
Earlier in the year the CB got a 24 watt chip put in to replace the 4 watt one.
People can clearly hear me when I speak.

A few Saturdays ago on our Greenwater trip we noticed Rob had the Roger Beep mod chip installed on his Uniden.
It makes a loud beep tone when you un-key the mic after talking.

This way in a large group you can clearly tell who it was who just got done talking.

I went to the shop that did my power chip install and got a Workman Electronics "Roger Five Tone" chip installed.
http://www.workman-elect.com/

The chip has 5 tones on it that can be fully adjustable for the tones, and the speed.
You can make one single tone, or have all five tones play when you un-key the mic.

Here is the module I got.

It also has a switch to turn the mod on or off.
I have a switch on the radio for hi & low tone for the speaker.
I never use the low tone as I like some treble in the speaker as it's easier to understand when someone is talking on the CB.

I had the guy disconnect the wires to that switch and wire the switch to the Roger 5 Tone chip instead.
The tone for the speaker is now set to high all the time, while the stock switch now controls the new toy.

Here is a short 832 kb video of the new mod.
Might be best to right click the link and save it, or it may cut out.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just make sure you have a defeat switch. It can get pretty irritating after a long day at close quarters and people will eventually complain about it.

When I installed mine, I defeated the channel 9 direct access switch in favor of the beep so that I can turn it off when I need stealth or when we are all close enough together that it is not needed.

The beep is handy when there are a lot of rigs together and I am leading the trail. When it's just me and one or two other rigs, there is no need to make everyone listen to it
Old 11-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yes, I have a defeat switch.
He took the radio hi/norm switch and used it for the chip mod.

All he had to do was disconnect the wires from the tone switch and leave them in the open position, and he capped them off.
If the wires touch, it's the same as if the switch were put in the normal position for the radio.
But I like treble, so he left the tone as the way I had it.

So now on the switch, I just put it on hi to use the Roger beep mod, or on normal to turn the mod off.

You can see the switch in the pic here.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/cbnight.jpg
It's right above the dimmer control knob.

The guy does great work. He soldered all the connection, then put shrink sleaving over them as Jay outlined in his wiring tips.
Then he used a heat gun and I see the tubing shrink down over the wires.
Pretty cool.

I may turn down the volume pot though, as it's quite loud in the cab, and the main CB volume knob does not effect the mods volume.

Corey
Old 11-19-2002, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Corey that's a pretty cool gadget you have there. Didn't know that kinda cool stuff was around for CB's.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Joey, they have echo boards too for CBs that will make your voice echo when keying up.

You can even get sound moduels that sound like Tarzan hollering, or a woman having an orgasim

They even have a mod that will record what others are saying, then it plays it back at them.

That's a little to far out there though.
But I do like this new mod a lot.
Corey
Old 11-19-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corey, do you know where one could purchase the chip or whatever that boosts the output power of a CB, and maybe some DIY instructions? I'd need more power!
Old 11-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Adam, here are a few tweaks, but probably not for the radio you have.
http://www.superior.net/~haggis/power.html

Most CB shops don't cahrge more than $50 to super tune a radio with the new chip.
They basically solder it in, and cut a few wires here and there.

Not all radios can be done though. I know the big Cobra like mine, and the smaller #25, and a lot of the metal chassis Unidens can be.

A lot of the less expensive plastic chassis radios can not be super tuned.

Just found this site.
http://www.radiomods.co.nz/

http://www.geocities.com/tylercb_56304/

I can't make heads or tails out of most of those mods above though.
I'd say it took the guy 15 minutes at the most when he put the higher output chip in mine.

It's worth having a shop do it that does this all the time.
Corey
Old 11-19-2002, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blissful ignorance...

pardon my ignorance, but as long we're talking about CB modifications, isn't it illegal (in the US) to bump your output above 4 watts? (12 watts for SSB)

I know it's done all over the place, which has always confused my neophyte self...

what's the real deal here? don't ask, don't tell?

fcc rules?!?

I've found the same stuff on the FCC site before, but I can't find it now.

Is this just a terminology gap on my part?
Old 11-19-2002, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

You are 100% correct. It is illegal modify a CB radio to transmit more than 4 watts in AM mode. Here is a quotation from the FCC website.

May I raise the power output of my CB unit?
Absolutely not! That would be unfair to the other users sharing the channel by raising the level of radio noise. You must not attach a "linear," "linear amplifier" or any other type of power amplifier to your CB unit (CB Rule 11). Moreover, you must not modify your CB unit internally. Doing so cancels its certification and you forfeit your authorization to use it (CB Rule 10).
But, with the CB band being largely ignored by the FCC, lots of people do it. If the FCC gets complaints about you or happens to stumble upon you by some means, they can and WILL fine or jail you.

It is also illegal to broadcast tones in the CB band, so "Roger Beeps" are also illegal.

(b) You may use your CB station to transmit a tone signal only when
the signal is used to make contact or to continue communications.
(Examples of circuits using these signals are tone operated squelch and
selective calling circuits.) If the signal is an audible tone, it must
last no longer than 15 seconds at one time. If the signal is a
subaudible tone, it may be transmitted continuously only as long as you
are talking.
Neither are things you likely should advertise in public places if you are a cautious sort.

The complete text of Title 47, Section 95 is here; http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi...ction=retrieve

Last edited by WATRD; 11-19-2002 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:31 PM

Cool, if I ever get a frickin' CB back in my truck it'll have a k-beep card in it, similar to yours but shorter.

Bah, who cares about illegal stuff, that's why we call it the "Children's Band" As long as you don't run a huge linear on a base station you have nothing to worry about. Now if you were to screw around on other bands such as any of the ham bands you better watch out. :eek:
Old 11-19-2002, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
forget i asked!
and pardon me while i return to my blissfull ignorance!

ok, ahem... a more er... useful question...

are there any SSB capable units that will fit in a single DIN slot? I want to yank my double DIN stereo, and replace with a CB and single DIN stereo. I've seen lots of people with this configuration, but hadn't noticed any that were SSB capable.

Or does that just make them too big?

Thanks!

(man, do I ever I love this place!!!!)
Old 11-20-2002, 05:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yes, back in the old days when I was growing up the FCC was real tight on how you operated your CB and use to monitor the bands.

If you transmitted for more than 5 minutes at a time, or played music, they'd track you down.

But times have changed. Truckers run linear amps, hog the channels for hours at a time, and cuss up a storm.
Did you know it's also illegal to swear on the CB?

Most CB shops would be out of business for doing these power mods, but they are not.
reason? The FCC could give a rats ass about a little mod now such as a power chip like I have that bumps the output to 24 to 25 watts or so.
I'm not sure on their take of the linear now, but many are running them, and they don't seem to get busted.

I'm not about to run a linear though. If I need that range or power, I'll get my ham license so I can transmit that far.
But CB is just as Shane said, it's the children's band now.

Yeah, if all these mods were illegal now such as I have, all the CB shops would be getting hauled into court or sued by owners getting their CBs confiscated by the FCC.

As far as a nice CB that will fit right in your dash that has USB, and LSB, the Midland 79-290 is a hot ticket.
I'd have one, but the only thing I don't care about that model it has no PA function on it.
I often use the PA function to monitor the CB while I am out of the rig.
I have the PA speaker under the hood, and it's nice to hear it outside when needed.

Here are some install pics of the 79-290:
Rich's 2000 4Runner

In Ken's FJ62

Shane, I saw that card you mentioned also.
I beleive mine can do the same thing I think by adjusting the 5 pots for the tones, and then speeding them up, or slowing the signal down.
Corey