Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should easily be able to route the coax through on of the rubber grommets in the firewall. I got 0 gauge wire through it so anything can be done, I dont know what you would run that would be near as thick as my 0 gauge.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by dbikeman
You should easily be able to route the coax through on of the rubber grommets in the firewall. I got 0 gauge wire through it so anything can be done, I dont know what you would run that would be near as thick as my 0 gauge.
I know i could clear the cable.. its the end connector that i am worried about! I heard i can get a cable that i can put an end on or something ? Any help is appreciated
Old 05-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

I routed mine passed the weather seal on the passenger side. My coax was already set, it wasn't one of those you solder the cap on when you're done with installation.

Towards the bottom of the passenger side on the Tacoma, there's a little crack in the door jamb that leads into the fender. It pinches the cable but I haven't had too many problems with it.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I routed mine passed the weather seal on the passenger side. My coax was already set, it wasn't one of those you solder the cap on when you're done with installation.

Towards the bottom of the passenger side on the Tacoma, there's a little crack in the door jamb that leads into the fender. It pinches the cable but I haven't had too many problems with it.

I'll check it out and see if its the same thing on my 3rd gen pickup. If not i might just get one that i have to solder or whatever.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:00 PM

My cb power wire is linked into the ciggarette lighter power wire so that way it comes on with the car and wont drain the battery. The antenna wire is no prob, you can jam just about anything through the friewall ports, (the rubber holoe plugs with the wires going through them) Just slice a small slit int othe one you want to push it through (there is one on either side) and jam it through! then run it to wherever you want to mount the antenna. good luck!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

That's a FAT coax to jam through the grommet. I tried like crazy and wasn't successful when I tried.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:58 PM

That's a FAT coax to jam through the grommet. I tried like crazy and wasn't successful when I tried.
I got it threw a grommet on the passenger side a little pushing did the trick. I had everything installed and i had tested my CB seemed to be working good. Took it for a drive and it sounded ok... The antenna was kinda old but was a decent one! Checked the SWR was at like 1.5 but wasn't adjustable so it was ok. Decide to finally put everything together and take a trip to a town thats 30 miles from me. I get 7 miles down the road and a mile on the freeway and i smell what seems to be electrical smoked.. I look at my friend and am like you smell that ? and hes all no... im like it might be me.. Anyway lil further and im like UH O cause i could really smell it... so i shut down all my electronics and had an exit about a mile away i was going ot stop at.... then all the sudden i see SMOKE coming my CB! I pulled off the exit slammed on the brakes poped the hood JUMPED out and RIPPED the wires out of the connector i had on the battery for the CB. Came home took everything out and my antenna off. Guess i won't have a CB until i get some money and get the cobra that fits perfectly under the CD Player, i aint doing the spacer thing again!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like an antenna problem to me???

I read that keying the mic without having the antenna properly hooked up risked frying the insides.
Unless maybe the power was hooked up wrong? Doesn't sound like you were using the mic when it started smoking.

Either way, sorry to hear about the loss of the CB - I hope you get the problem figured out

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 05-06-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:06 AM

Sounds like an antenna problem to me???

I read that keying the mic without having the antenna properly hooked up risked frying the insides.
Unless maybe the power was hooked up wrong? Doesn't sound like you were using the mic when it started smoking.

Either way, sorry to hear about the loss of the CB - I hope you get the problem figured out
I knew that if the SWR was over 3 that it would fry but it was only at 1.5! i had everything hooked up correctly i believe! I guess next time i go to do it im getting new antenna and everything!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I dunno - could it be anything else other than the antenna?
Anybody out there know? Maybe it was a faulty CB?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:52 AM

Well, I dunno - could it be anything else other than the antenna?
Anybody out there know? Maybe it was a faulty CB?
I dont really know unless the ground wasn't good... It works fine for my stereo :wtf: Anyway i guess it aint that big of deal... Just a crap load of work for nothing!