Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Radio

I know nothing, except what I have read about CB's. Has anyone ever tried one of these Cobra HH28 ? Are they any good?

Keep in mind I will only use it about 6 times per year when I go wheelin with a group. Usually in the mountains of NM or CO.

If anyone has any tips or an idea where to get an inexpensive but capable unit let me know.

Thanks,
Old 08-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I would avoid handhelds altogehter.
They simply don't have the range, and hard to hold.

There are tons of posts here about CBs if you plug it into the search here.

Some model of Cobras will ft right into your dash below the stereo.
Also try the search and plug in username mytruck, and cb for the keyword.
Jim has a nice little Uniden that is in the dash, and has many nice features including a speaker out, and also a PA speaker out too.

Also look on YotaTech Community, then look for the link YotaTech on the web.
There is a link in there for Firestik's site, and they have valuable info on CBs and antennas in their FAQ section.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:39 AM

I really like my cobra 18wx. One of the reasons I got it was because it has the front mounted internal speaker, and I was planning to install it in my dash, and it fit perfectly. It also has memory and channel scan and all sorts of goodies. A little bit pricey at 65 bucks, but I believe it was worth it, even though I only use mine about 4-5 times per year.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, the 18 model is the one that Jackson has in his rig.

From his sites menu on the left side, choose "Add Ons" from it, and the Cobra 18 is at the top.
Fits in the dash nice.

If you want a PA feature though, it doesn't have the capability.
The PA function is not a real big deal, but I use it to monitor the CB when I am out of the rig so I can hear it.
I have a waterproof horn under the hood that broadcasts the receiving end only.

When you transmit with the PA function, you are not "live" on the air, only your voice comes out of the PA speaker.
Good for yelling at stupid drivers
Old 08-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Jim,

Sounds like you're in the same position I was in a year ago. Unfortunately, I had never been on a group run prior to last year's CO jam and didn't really know what options were available. It turns out I was the only one without a CB and I missed a lot of action. Do everything in your power to have one by next week, even if it is a handheld.

As far as handhelds, Alan (HaveBlue) borrowed Scott's (JadeRunner) old Cobra one for a group ride a couple months back. It had a small window antenna and I have to say it worked great. Alan has since installed the same unit as Scott and myself have, the WXST II, which is mentioned above. Many other locals and other folks across the country have picked one up as well. I recommend it if you have a single DIN open. It's a very clean unit.

I'm going to check with Scott to see if he would let us borrow his handheld again for someone who still may be without a radio. Hopefully, you'll have one by then.

If you have any other questions about the CB I have and what you need for it, let me know. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Darren

I do not have a single DIN opening, I still have the stock deck. I plan on just mounting it under the glove box or something. I will get one though.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:59 AM

Don't discount RadioShack units, I picked up a cheap one on sale once when I needed a second radio for a road trip. Not many features, but works quite well.

Remember that the antenna is at least as important as the radio.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

I got one!

I stopped at a local CB shop after work today and I picked up a used C18 WXST II for $40.

After the antenna and tuning I was out the door for $80. I think that was a good deal.

I decided to go with a Wilson "Little Wil". For as much as I will use it, it seems like my best option.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:06 AM

wow those ARE little......
Old 08-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Good deal, Jim! Where did you end up going?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:42 AM

I have the Radio Shack TRC-514 CB with the digital compass, Indiglo type display, PA, EXT speaker jack, and channel controls on the mike. It also has three programmable priority channels, RF gain as well as the usual volume and squelch and a 9/19 selector. The best part is that is equipped with jacks for standard communications headsets- 1/8" and 1/16" for PTT or hands free VOX operation. It is too bad that they don't sell them anymore!

For the antenna I have the Radio Shack base loaded 66 inch "All Terrain" antenna with a 90* folding knuckle and a small coil spring on a 4 element radial ground plane in a luggage rack type clamp on mount that is centered on my vehicle for the most efficient radiation pattern.

The only problem is driving in the woods where my antenna acts like a big machete, cutting off leaves and branches and filling the bed of my truck.