Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CAT Missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAT Missing

For all the animal lovers out there, my cat Tumbles is safe at home.

It is this Cat that is missing - F'n Methheads

On Sat. morning, I was running late and finally got all my fishing and camping gear loaded. When I started my truck I nearly myself. It sounded the magic motor fairy did a Big V8 swap during the night. Unfortunately, it was just a missing catalytic converter. If you haven't heard of this, it is becoming quite a common thing. They are stolen and taken to scrap the metals. I personally thought it was more of a west coast thing, but the missing cat fairy struck good 'ol me here in MD. Apparently, all SUV's are targeted, but easy access underneath is key. The cop that took the report said he sees lots of Toyota's hit and that thieves have been as bold as to hit cars in broad daylight at gym, etc. parking lots. They cut them out with a sawzall or the wheel style pipe cutters. I live in an apartment complex and no one saw or heard anything. My alarm apparently didn't go off either. A poor girl who just moved in has an older Toyota Pickup and got hit too.

I am thinking a skidplate like protector may turn thieves away, but am concerned that the Cat might make too much heat and needs the airflow. People say not to park on leaves long because the cat could start a fire (ask little Anthony Soprano). What do you guys think?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM

dude that sucks.. have you priced a new cat converter?? tip- dont go to the dealership for one. eek! i have heard of these things happening but luckily they havent hit my area yet-- knock on wood..

btw noticed you fly fish. ever come down to NC to flyfish?

Last edited by mkgarrison5; 04-15-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM

Well did some more searching and found this thread only a week or so old. Happened in DC area (close to me). https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/9...cement-141797/
Does a Budbuilt cover the Cat?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:37 AM

speaking of meth and cats by the looks of ur kitty, look slike he just did a hit
Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bummer nice kitty though
Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 PM

I don't think BudBuilt goes over the cat. You need good air flow, as it heats up pretty good. So far, no one has thought of any preventative measures against this. And normally, I would say get a garage, but these guys are going at full daylight in open parking lots. If mine ever gets hit, I'd really be tempted to just go with a test pipe (calm down, you tree huggers. I'm only kidding..... ... ... ?)
Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Why not a perforated skid plate that would cover that area?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 PM

My CAT was stolen on Friday night in downtown SF. Millions people around. Put after market, it don't have any value.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 PM

guys,

there are reports like this in San diego. mostly the cars being targeted are lifted toyota's anything where theifs can get under cut and get out in a hurry. replacement cats as you guys know are 750 from the dealer. where they are being sold i dont know. my friend called me a while ago about this. luckily it was only half way cut off. beware of the low life tweakers
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM

Sorry to hear about the theft!

I guess the only solution is to lift your truck so tall that thiefs cant reach it!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM

The Bud Built belly pan does cover the cat. Check out http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ scroll down to rhe Tacoma and 4Runner section. That's what I have under my rig and the only thing that is accessible is the flange after the cat.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mikgrail3
The Bud Built belly pan does cover the cat. Check out http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ scroll down to rhe Tacoma and 4Runner section. That's what I have under my rig and the only thing that is accessible is the flange after the cat.
Such an expensive solution to a problem we shouldn't have to deal with in the first place. So messed up. The only upside is that it's either $500ish now or $750 + later! Sux.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine got stolen too.. Here's my new one. Had it welded on. I guess since my 4runner was old they only charged a little over a hundred. I have heard if you have the newer ones like yourself its gonna be upwards of $300.

Mine was stolen in broad daylight and I saw 2 other 4runners like mine, and they had theirs stolen too. Needless to say, it freaks you out when you start it up and it sounds like something is wrong.

After some research I learned that you have 2 options, unless you wanna replace it with stock and have it get stolen again...
1) Put a high-flow cat in there that has no worth
2) Put a test pipe between the two and change it before you smog (if you guys have smog checks...)
Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
dude that sucks.. have you priced a new cat converter?? tip- dont go to the dealership for one. eek! i have heard of these things happening but luckily they havent hit my area yet-- knock on wood..

btw noticed you fly fish. ever come down to NC to flyfish?
I have not hit NC yet. I will be moving to Blacksburg Va at the end of the summer and will be sure too. I have thought about hitting some of those tailwaters during winter and heard good things about the Housitonic (spelling way off). Do you fly fish?

Originally Posted by 98runner210
speaking of meth and cats by the looks of ur kitty, look slike he just did a hit
His name is Tumbles because he only takes 3-4 steps and tumbles over. He is neurologic and basically looks drunk all the time. Once you get over the horror of some of the falls he takes, he is really funny to watch. My girlfriend works at a Vet. Hosp. and that is why we are moving to Blacksburg so she can go to Vet. school.

Originally Posted by cackalak han
I don't think BudBuilt goes over the cat. You need good air flow, as it heats up pretty good. So far, no one has thought of any preventative measures against this. And normally, I would say get a garage, but these guys are going at full daylight in open parking lots. If mine ever gets hit, I'd really be tempted to just go with a test pipe (calm down, you tree huggers. I'm only kidding..... ... ... ?)
Looks Like Budbuilt Belly pan does a pretty good job of covering the cat. Also I ran accross this. No prices though.
http://catclamp.com/catclamp.asp

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Sorry to hear about the theft!

I guess the only solution is to lift your truck so tall that thiefs cant reach it!
LOL

Originally Posted by Man4God
Such an expensive solution to a problem we shouldn't have to deal with in the first place. So messed up. The only upside is that it's either $500ish now or $750 + later! Sux.
Yeah, but darn is it a good excuse to get some budbuilts. Now if we could only get an insurance rebate for it.

Originally Posted by infiltrator
After some research I learned that you have 2 options, unless you wanna replace it with stock and have it get stolen again...
1) Put a high-flow cat in there that has no worth
2) Put a test pipe between the two and change it before you smog (if you guys have smog checks...)
1 - I figure a tweaker is not going to be able to tell the difference between aftermarket and stock until the damage has already been done.
2 - Of course, I am about 2 weeks overdue for an emissions test. Costing me a nother $15 every month overdue.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 PM

hey Goin I'm moving down to Radford, VA at beginning of June, its just a few minutes south of Blackburg on 81. Shoot me a pm sometime and maybe we can hit some trails later this year.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM

OMG this is sooo gay, i hate having to worry about this....I was at a concert the other night in downtown Santa Cruz and i was so scared i was going to come out after the show, start my truck and hear that crazy roar of a missing cat...luckily i didnt, but....I SHOULDNT EVEN HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT!!!....damn tweakers
Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Goin
Looks Like Budbuilt Belly pan does a pretty good job of covering the cat. Also I ran accross this. No prices though.
http://catclamp.com/catclamp.asp
I don't know. Look at this pic

I haven't seen that cat clamp before. Looks like a pretty good product.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 PM

I would give you mine but mines been taken off a long time ago...lol.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
does insurance pick up the $$ to replace the CAT?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by cgeorge
does insurance pick up the $$ to replace the CAT?
it should if you have a good comprehensive plan bc its theft. check your insurance company first and see.. that way you will know what direction you need to go to if that ever happens.. so help me god i better not catch someone in the act bc they will tote the azz whipping of their life. personally i tihnk they should be wacked and tossed off a bridge..

Goin, yeah i fly fish. i am not that great at it but i catch fish every now and then. my main problem (mainly bc i dont get to go too often) is nymphing and getting the drift right. there are tons of creeks and a handful of tailwaters to fish. when you move to VA sign on with this forum. they are great bunch of guys with lots of info and will point you to most creeks and rivers. just dont ask for honey holes and wild waters bc they will boot you lol.. but if you get goody goody with a few they will gladly point out to you some cool sheet

southeastflyfishingforum.com

Quick Reply: CAT Missing