Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can't find a DRL disable thread for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't find a DRL disable thread for me

I have searched all the Daytime Running Light disable threads, and all the writeups have different looking boxes/connectors than mine.

I need help on a 2000 4Runner Limited... Here are the pics of mine to see if anyone knows my year and which wire to cut...

(i.e. the writeup from https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=DRL+Disable looks nothing like my box or connector [01 or 02])

Thanks!

Last edited by R1-4Runner; 10-15-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
this help at all click
Old 10-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
this help at all click
Just to make sure I got this right... the bulliten says mine would be Connector D6; Pin #2 (or maybe D8.. kind of blurry)

Can anyone tell me how to read this? I have a picture that I Lettered and Numbered on my connector.. I can't tell if this would be equivilent to my Row 1 Letter D, or Row 2 Letter I

Last edited by R1-4Runner; 10-15-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year 4Runner do you have?

The above tech article works for certain year 3rd gens. I disabled mine, but I had to do mine a little different since mine's an '02.

Check out this write-up. This one shows you have to have an "on/off" function for your DRLs. I didn't go that far w/ mine, but the write-up helped for my year: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127/2002-4runner-drl-disable-off-capability-87596/

All I had to do was cut one wire and I was done! No more DRLs.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
All I had to do was cut one wire and I was done! No more DRLs.
Makes sense since DRL's work on a relay.....cut either +/- and the relay is dead.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 AM

The article you are using only applies to the '01 and '02 models. The prior years (including my 2000 4Runner) have the relay box under the hood near the battery.

Certain versions of this mod also eliminate the headlight's auto-off feature, so be careful how you choose to do it.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
The article you are using only applies to the '01 and '02 models. The prior years (including my 2000 4Runner) have the relay box under the hood near the battery.

Certain versions of this mod also eliminate the headlight's auto-off feature, so be careful how you choose to do it.
I saw that there is a fuse in the fuse box titles "DRL". I have pulled it with no luck there. Is there another box you are referring to?

p.s. I have a 2000 Limited
Old 10-17-2006, 04:00 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
My 2000 SR5 has a connector between the battery and the fender that can be unplugged to defeat the DRL's. It has no impact on the remaining light functions nor my fog lights. I don't understand why you'd want to follow the TSB and cut wires when all you have to do is unplug 1 connector...
Old 10-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a box near my battery to unplug to disable my drls. My wife's 2000 has that box, but she likes her drls and wouldn't let me disable hers.

For '01 & '02, there is no "majic box". I had no option but to snip a single wire. I can easily wire it back if I ever get rid of the truck or want drls.

Oh and by the way, the auto-off headlight feature still works on my truck too.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OH DEAR GOD NO! you mean i might have to MANUALLY! turn them on when it gets dark?!?!? GOD SAVE US ALLL.... the world is comming to an end....

<sarcasm off>
Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by snap-on
Quote:

OH DEAR GOD NO! you mean i might have to MANUALLY! turn them on when it gets dark?!?!? GOD SAVE US ALLL.... the world is comming to an end....

<sarcasm off>
funny, but I think paddlenbike was talking about the lights turning "off" automatically...not "on" when it's dark?

Anotherwords, when it's dark outside and you've already turned you headlights on and later you shut off your 4Runner, the headlights will cut off automatically after a few minutes or when you open one of your doors even w/ the headlight control still in the "on" position.

When left in the "on" position, many older vehicles headlights will remain on even after the vehicle has been shut off, thus draining your battery.

In my case, if I forget to turn my headlights off at night after I have shut my 4Runner off (which I have done a couple times), the lights will automatically turn off when I exit the vehicle.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-17-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM

Old 10-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

I think what snap on is referring to is the same thing though, BECAUSE of my auto off feature, I never turn my headlights off...I leave my headlight switch ON all the time, when the truck is off, the lights are off, when its on, so are they....Which I know in this case would defeat the purpose of getting rid of the DRL's... I was just saying...
Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rick F.
My 2000 SR5 has a connector between the battery and the fender that can be unplugged to defeat the DRL's. It has no impact on the remaining light functions nor my fog lights. I don't understand why you'd want to follow the TSB and cut wires when all you have to do is unplug 1 connector...

Anyone have a picture of what this "magic box" looks like in under the hood. Or atleast color/title on the box to help me find it better.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

I don't have a pic of it, but it's a small black box about 2" x 2" (I think anyway) in diameter and it's located in the engine bay on the driver side fender right next to the battery. You would see a cable running to it that can be unplugged from the box.

If no one has a pic, I'll take one tonight of my wife's 2000 4Runner.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by R1-4Runner
Anyone have a picture of what this "magic box" looks like in under the hood. Or atleast color/title on the box to help me find it better.

Thanks!
I posted some pics about a year ago but can't find them at the moment. The pics are on my PC at home (where I am not... don't tell my boss...). I'll try to post them this evening.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:21 AM

why would you want to disable daytime running lights? so people can't see you coming or something? it's like using turn signals, just gives your next move away to the enemy!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

originally posted by ISAAC338
why would you want to disable daytime running lights? so people can't see you coming or something? it's like using turn signals, just gives your next move away to the enemy!
Simply put...because we can

Using your turn signals greatly helps others BEHIND you realize that you are about to make a sudden left or right turn. I strongly believe in turn signals and have seen many vehicle accidents take place b/c a driver suddenly turned w/o giving the driver behind him a heads up.

Headlights on the other hand, help others in FRONT of you see that you’re coming. But in my case, I don't drive on the wrong side of the road, so unless they are in my lane, there should not be a problem. Many cars today do not utilize DRLs, and it has seemed to work so far. As soon as it gets dusk, I turn my headlights on, but during the day, I choose to turn them off. DRLs are probably a great safety feature; I just would not compare them to turn signals.

With that said, I've burned a couple aftermarket headlight bulbs up having DRLs on other vehicles. Now I can get longer bulb life w/ my aftermarket bulbs w/o the DRLs activated.

Second, when I'm driving the freeway (which happens more than none) and someone's going 60mph in the fast lane, I want him or her to move over and get out of my way. Before w/ DRLs, some people would not even notice me flicking my brights at them simply b/c the driving lights stay on. However, they move out of my way a lot faster when I flick my headlights on and off at them w/ the DRLs off. W/ DRLs, I can't manually turn on/off the lights. Who knows, maybe it's just these southern drivers, but I can't stand it when someone pokes along in the fast lane. IT'S NOT A DRIVING LANE PEOPLE, IT'S A PASSING LANE! Sorry, I've wanted to get that out for a while now. Now back on topic.

And third, it's hard to "follow" or "sneak up" on someone during the day or night and you can't turn your headlights off while you're driving. They can see you in their review mirror very easily...trust me. It's a long story. I used to do some private investigator work.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

I clipped just one wire on my 01 to disable mine. Not sure whch wire anymore but I can look if you need me to.

I did mine because I got a bit tired of having the Base gate guards ask me if I could turn off my headlights when entering base before dawn. Now I can turn them off and not blind the guys working the base gates.

All the other cool features like auto off still work.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Found it. This is the Toyota Factory proceedure for this mod for 01/02's

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=drl+mod

Quick Reply: Can't find a DRL disable thread for me