Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Camshaft Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft Q

Hope it is ok to post this question here. I have a 83 Chevy Scottsdale, it was my girlfriends, but has become my truck now. She let her brother drive it after she got her 4Runner, and he jacked it up. It was perfect. He hit a couple of street signs, scratched the hell out of it, and parked it at their Moms house. We went to move it a long time ago, because after their Mom got a divorce, the house became a rental, and it couldn't stay there. So I climbed in and started her right up. Put her in drive and.. NO POWER!! I mean I could floor it and she would start to putt along, but it was horrible!! She had a hard time on a couple of hills, and I had to punch her to get to 45. So we got it to her dads, and there she has sat for about 2+years. I want to get her up and running again, because we need a pick-up, and before her brother got a hold of it it was a great truck. I'm thinking it is a flattened camshaft that is the problem. That punk was seen power braking it a few times, and driving like an a$$. What do you guys think? The cams would be a pretty easy fix, so I think I should get some thoughts from you guys, just in case I am telling myself that after I put in new cams all will be well. Any help would be great. I hope to get that 350 roaring back to life ASAP.

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Does it smoke at all? I have never heard of a cam wearing to that extent prematurely. I would have to wonder if the a hole didn't run it out of oil and toasted the rings.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

No smoke, and it had plenty of oil...dirty (dark) oil, but plenty of it. Engine sounded great, but it took allot of RPM to get any speed out of it.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

BTW did I mention he went through two brand new tires!! The rear ones of cource, the front tires still look good. That boy Power braked ALL OF THE TIME!!
Old 02-23-2005, 03:04 PM

I doubt it's the cam. I pulled a cam out of my 360 duster that was completely flattened on three lobes and well on its way with the rest of them and the thing was STILL hotter than a popcorn fart.... and sniffed so clean on emmissions they ran it a second time because they couldn't believe they didn't screw up the first test!

If the thing has been sitting for two years+, then I would suspect dead gas first, sticky/plugged injectors second, timing third, bad plugwires/cap/rotor functions fourth, and.. um... I'd have to see what it's doing in person beyond that.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

O yea, dead gas, that's probably all it is.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:22 PM

If he was seen pwr braking then I would also check the trannie.....the eng is putting out the power but the box that is getting the power can transfer it to the wheels.....
Old 02-23-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by dragon564
If he was seen pwr braking then I would also check the trannie.....the eng is putting out the power but the box that is getting the power can transfer it to the wheels.....

OOOooo yeah... If that's a slush-box, and he was prone to powerbraking, it's possible he swelled the Tq convertor resulting in MASSIVE slip. Those things rely on specific tolerances to function properly, and if you build up too much pressure in the 'verter you can swell the case and open up those tolerances allowing fluid to slip past the impellers/stators.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Phssthpok
I doubt it's the cam. I pulled a cam out of my 360 duster that was completely flattened on three lobes and well on its way with the rest of them and the thing was STILL hotter than a popcorn fart.... and sniffed so clean on emmissions they ran it a second time because they couldn't believe they didn't screw up the first test!

If the thing has been sitting for two years+, then I would suspect dead gas first, sticky/plugged injectors second, timing third, bad plugwires/cap/rotor functions fourth, and.. um... I'd have to see what it's doing in person beyond that.
Well it wasn't dead gas at the time. It ran that way 2 years ago. It hasen't been started since. 2nd it is a carb engine. The engine sounds great, so I'm not sure. Think the tranny is the most likely idea?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All things considered, i would have to vote transmission/ Tq converter. But I wouldnt tear into without checking timing, plugs, wires, compression, cap, rotor, and that the carb isnt too ˟˟˟˟ up ( he might of tried a little carb adjustment himself ) the gas and seals.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
All things considered, i would have to vote transmission/ Tq converter. But I wouldnt tear into without checking timing, plugs, wires, compression, cap, rotor, and that the carb isnt too ˟˟˟˟ up ( he might of tried a little carb adjustment himself ) the gas and seals.

Yeah, now that I think about it more there's a few things in the tranny that could cause that. In order of easiest to hardest to troubleshoot:

Low tranny fluid (if you can't figure this one out, put the wrench down and back away from the vehicle)

Loose bands (can be adjusted from the outside without dropping the case)

Swelled Tq convertor (can be replaced without opening the case)

Worn clutchpacks inside the tranny (gotta crack into the case for this one)

Have fun!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Bumpity-bump.

Any updates?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:33 PM

check the exhaust and cat - he might have kinked it with something.

Check the Air filter too. I would do a compression check before I pulled a camshaft.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Phssthpok
Bumpity-bump.

Any updates?
Not yet. The truck is burried under 4ft. of snow. Also we are just finishing up the crate install on the 4Runner. I will be sure to update this thread as work begins on her. You know, after listening to you guys, I agree in that is sounds like the TQ to me. I just wanted to get some ideas before I tackle another project. I still have to finish up the 4Runner, then do some SAAB work, including the ball joints on my 84 SAAB 900 Turbo. Thanks for all of the helpo guys, and if any other ideas pop up let me know. I will be sure and keep all of you updated onm what happens.

Thanks again all!!