Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Body Mount Missing Need Help ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
how much is it lifted? How long has it sat leaning like that?

Lets try to narrow it down. im not to sure about the subject but your supposed to extend the panhard bracket when its lifted, but i am not too sure what the consequences are if you don't maybe thats what is causing the lean?
I have a BL on my Runner and the body mounts under the doors look like that, the bolts are tight its just that center cylinder thing won't go back into the mount so i'm guess from what i've found is normal on 3rd gens.

the driverside and gas tank does that, but not that much. disconnected sway bars or links can give your body more roll.

as for the panhard, after like 3inches of lift it is recommende to drop it or extend it because it'll pull your rear to one side, hence the lean. mine leaned till i dropped it and i've got lc's and OME's in the rear. Not sure of the swaying though?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:04 AM

hmm... i mean, its been lifted for almost 3 years and 70k miles, and it never leaned before...
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 AM

oh, and last night traveling around 70mph on a back country road i hit a bump and it caused it to wobble... i cant rememeber if this is normal road manners for it or not... anyone else thats lifted ever wobble after you hit a big bump in the road?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 AM

When my Runner does that I call it a shimmy, but not quite a "wobble".

On another note, I crashed my passenger front end last year and it did damage to the lower control arms and bearings...everything has been replaced, but i rub in the front right sometimes and it looks like the nose is diving.

I had my buddy look at it, he took measurements and told me it was off by several cm/mm and it was causing the whole alignment to be thrown off!

So maybe it is a blown shock, it makes sense for all the wobbling...

I'll see if i can find a pic of my gangsta lean too. and post for reference before i lowered my pan-hard.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 PM

i really really hate tire shops that can only sell you a tire and not align your truck worth . i got it aligned yesterday, and it fixed the lean a bit, and today after i hit a couple speed bumps... the lean is much more pronounced...

i hate tire kingdom, i even asked them to look at my brakes and what do you know... they "forgot" and told me to bring it back on monday... not bloody likely. i suppose the only real option i have now is to take it directly to the stealership and have them look at it and tell me why its leaning and wobbling ( i am kind of assuming that the lean and the wobble are connected.

i am very close to just going to the ghetto to buy some milk and leaving the truck running with the windows down and stereo blasting...
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM

Kyle- sorry bout this mess of a problem, i guess having to recheck everything to trouble shoot which is the cause is what your gonna have to get in to. Everytime I've ever gone to the stealership they've "Never" been able to help me or figure anything out, and they charge an arm and a couple legs out the arsh.

Tire Kingdom?? where are you from?

I think your guess is right that it's related to the lean and sway. I'm curious to what it is too.

...as for leaving it in the ghetto, i don't think they'd even know what to do with a nice lookin rig like yours.

Good luck man! James
Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 PM

im from florida, and tire kingdom is a chain down here.

as for taking it to the dealership they charge 75$ to diagnose a problem and it goes towards whatever repairs you need done. i recently bought a vehicle from them so if they cant tell me what it is then hopefully they will not charge me ( yeah, i know, wishful thinking)

i have run out of idea's on what it could be, my swaybar bushings are fine, kind of dry rotted though ( i doubt that would create an INCH or more of lean though it could produce the wobble) i have new springs/shocks on the front end, tires aligned yesterday (out of alignment today though because they never tighten anything down enough) a somewhat new power steering rack with poly bushings in it... i mean, ive inspected all the body mounts that i could find and they were all symmetrical with one another.

am i just looking in the wrong place? could something be wrong with the rear end and somehow causing the front left to lean? im about fed up with this, ive spent over 1500$ on my 02 in the past 2 weeks

so seriously, does ANYONE have ANY idea on what i should check? ive got a camera and will take pictures at anytime to help anyone with a suspected culprit.

thanks james for helping out where you can, and i will be sure to post up as soon as i find out what the issue is, i keep suspecting its going to be a 25$ part and REALLY piss me off

Last edited by RunnerUp; 04-20-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 AM

Find a good independent shop and have them look it over for you. They might not be that much cheaper than the dealer but are probably more knowledgable about the 4runner.

I only use tire shops to mount a tires. All other stuff is done a toyota specific shop (alignment, brakes, etc).
Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 AM

unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any toyota specific shop anywhere close to me, so the dealer is the only real option, fortunately i found out today that gatorland toyota's diagnose fee is only 42.50, and they assured me that they would be able to tell me what it is... so i plan on holding them to that, if they cant, well, maybe they wont make me pay (not very likely) i am running out of options on this one.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM

alright... so i found out what is supposedly the issue here, tell me if this would make sense of the leaning and death wobble

my rear UPPER and LOWER control arms are worn out, toyota wants $847 to replace them. i looked at the parts and it seems easy enough to replace myself. i assume this is why my rear axle has SHIFTED to the PASSENGER side by almost an inch.

one or more of my transmission mounts are broken $347 to fix there

and i need an inner rt tie rod, dont know how difficult this is to replace, but i can prob. do it myself, they want $338 to fix it there

if you guys have any helpful links on upgraded parts, please post them, i am off to do some searching of my own, as i would like to replace these parts with better ones if at all possible.

how hard is it to replace the transmission mounts? i can turn a wrench decently, but have never attempted anything like this before. i have a somewhat meager selection of tools, but can/will purchase new ones if it can be used for other things and will allow the fix to be cheaper than toyota wants.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM

okay, and is this the only transmission mount that there is? is this what they say needs to be replaced for 350$??

Old 04-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Leaning to one side means a broken shock/mount or even a coil spring has come off its holder. Maybe even the torsion bar load has backed off, unsprung its weight. Look carefully at all your mounts and such.Sounds like thats your problem.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:27 PM

thanks for the suggestion, but ive already replaced my entire front supension and everything is in spec. 3rd gens dont have torsion bars and all my body mounts are fine
Old 12-07-2008, 07:20 AM

damn it! i just read this whole thread and it just stops? no conclusion? ha jk. how is this going for ya? im more concerned with the shimmy over highway bumps then the lean but i am curious about that too. hope you stopped posting because u figured it out.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 AM

wow... thanks for bringing my attention back to this thread, actually, after i wound up replacing my front suspension and power steering rack and having each tire inspected i replaced my rear lower control arms, they had almost completely rotted through, more so on driver side, hench the lean. after i had them installed the ride INSTANTLY stiffened up, and the lean was noticably better

i assume the suspension will always sit just a bit to driver, youve got the gas tank, battery and in my case, second battery all on driver side. but now the lean has gone pretty much away.

let me know if you have any questions, it was a long and expensive road to fix the lean/shimmy. but now i have practically all brand new suspension!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by onroadrunner
hope you stopped posting because u figured it out.
lol i just saw this part of your post
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Thats really weird, i have a 99 SR5 and i noticed i think it was 2 of the body mounts were like that when i was removing my running boards....