Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Body Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Body Lift Questions

OK, it's body lift time for my truck. The tires had their first rub last night going into a parking lot at like 5 mph. So, I have contacted 4Crawler and am trying to get situated on what I need. Can anyone here help me with what I need to buy? I'm trying to decide if I need a 1" or a 2" body lift. It also sounds like I need to buy the following:

Ultimate Lift Blocks
Hardware
Steering Shaft Extension
Front Bumper Brackets
Radiator Drop Brackets
Shift Lever Extension

The only thing that I don't know about is the 'bed spacers'. Will this apply to a 4Runner or only to someone with a bed like a Tacoma or pickup?

Please chime in and let me know if I'm on the right track with parts. Let me know of anything I may have forgotten. Since most of you have already gone this route... I figured you'd be the experts in this category! Fire away and thanks for your help.

Last edited by ErikJeanna; 08-06-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:26 AM

I did the 2inch BL with the Ultimate lift blocks, heavy duty hardwar, steering ext. You shouldnt need a shift lever extension (4crawler has a good write up on the auto transmission set up).

I got the front bumper brackets (a must)... and did not get the radiator drop bracket... I just removed my lower fan shroud...with no ill effects. Temp has remained the same.

Its fairly simple to do...good instructions on the 4crawler site. Good luck ! Just take your time, especially when you lift the body off of the frame..I did mine one side at a time.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

IMO a 1" BL would be plenty sufficient. You wont need half those brackets/extentions, it's easier to install, it will look better, and it will also clear your 285s with ease. I'd stay away from the 2" unless you want unnecessary height and other problems.
This installation guide is also somewhat of a review for the 1" BL
check it out....
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...er/index.shtml
Old 08-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
Ultimate Lift Blocks
Hardware
Steering Shaft Extension
Front Bumper Brackets
you'll be good with these 4 items, and a 1" is enough to clear 285s. bed spacers are for pickups. going 2" will require more brackets/modifications. good luck!
Old 08-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
and did not get the radiator drop bracket... I just removed my lower fan shroud...with no ill effects. Temp has remained the same.
I guess YOU didn't have someone helping you who sawed through the radiator while trying to remove the lower fan shroud.

Anyway, had that not happened, removing the lower fan shroud would've done a fine job to remedy the issue without a drop bracket.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
The only thing that I don't know about is the 'bed spacers'. Will this apply to a 4Runner or only to someone with a bed like a Tacoma or pickup?.
Bed spacers are generally a pickup thing, but at least on the 1st gen 4Runners, there is a bed support point (non-bolted) right under the rear wheel wells. It may be there for rollover strength with the factory roll bar. I run a bed spacer on mine:

I think I have the only set on a 4Runner, although some Mitsubishi Montero kits ship with them, if requested. It isn't a big deal, if you decide you need something there, you can order tham later, or you can literally glue in a piece of pressure treated wood in there or whatever:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...html#BedSpacer

Same on the shifter extensions, most folks like the "shorter" shift levers, but a few can't stand them and *must* have them the stock length. If unsure, install the kit, see how the shifters feel and if you must have them longer, by all means order the extension later. It just screws on under the shift knob. On an automatic, the tranny shifter is body-mounted, stays the same place. The t-case shifter can be either t-case/frame mounted or body mounted. Since you don't use the t-case shifter all that much, having it shorter is not that big a deal.

So these type of items are more up to you and your preferences. The reason I offer tham is that in the past, some folks have demanded solutions to those issues. Some folks want everything 100% back to stock after the lift. Others are willing to leave some things different with the lift. Some items have a selections of options depending on what you want to or are capable of doing, such as the radiator brackets:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...oyotaRadiators

So it is hard to say exactly why *you* need for the kit, since some of that depends on what *you* want the end result to be.