Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blew a spark plug. Need new cylinder head. Wow. Fail.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew a spark plug. Need new cylinder head. Wow. Fail.

Vehicle- 99 4runner sr5 4wd 3.4L v6
mileage- 135K

So i was driving my girlfriend home tonight, was on the highway going about 60 mph when i start hearing this "flapping sound", almost like i ran over something and it was smacking around in the wheel well. after it didnt go away I started to realized that it was more than that... I let my foot off the gas, and the noise faded with it. I re-engaged the pedal, and the sound returned. I pulled over, and the low idle was LOW, felt like i was driving over a bumpy unpaved road or something. Turned the engine off, got out, looked under the hood, didn't see anything amiss. I got my girlfriend to try to start it again and it sounded horrible, and I definitely knew it was something big. I called my dad up (luckily I was only a few miles from home) He came out with the tools and we looked at it, figured out that one of the ignition coils was loose or something. we pulled it off and the plug didnt come with it. then we started it again and the plug popped out. we looked at it and could see that someone who had previously replaced the plugs had screwed up and had to rethread the plug with like a jacket or something? anyways, we disconnected that cylinder and drove it home without much incident, just a hell of a lot of noise. I'm looking at a new cylinder head and gasket for the right side, and new ignition coil, and a new plug obviously. Bad day. first time i've ever broken down before. Ive owned the truck since July '09. Looking at like a $400 repair and a whole lot of time out in the garage. Luckily my family has something of a vehicle fleet- 95 camry, 96 dodge caravan, 93 miata, 08 altima, so i still have wheels, just not my baby. If anyone has any help/wisdom to offer it would be much appreciated. Poor 4runner
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM

i feel for you man. sorry that happened and all, but i got a question, how long ago were those spark plugs replaced until that happened?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 PM

The records i got show that the plugs were replaced on July 14 2009. (I bought the truck july 17 2009).
All six plugs were replaced.
This was done by the previous owner.
I was thinking if maybe I could try to bring the plug to the place that did the plugs and demand some action, but I seriously doubt I would have any success.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM

do a heli-coil i did one on my 88 and it worked fine
Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 AM

someone already tried a helicoil or similar fix. thats what failed. the plug seems to be aluminum or something and the coil is steel- i wonder if that didnt help. I need a new cylinder head man, this is beyond that quick fix stuff. shame too, the plugs only had like under 3,000 miles. I really didnt get to drive it all that much.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The heads are aluminum, the spark plug threads are steel. When one gives its the head. I'd think a helicoil would fix it though.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 AM

Again, the helicoil fix has already been attempted. You guys are both right, a helicoil is a solution for this sort of problem, and it did work for a time. Then the helicoil failed, which is what the problem is now. Those threads are all gone. You can't just keep putting helicoils on top of helicoils. Its time for a new cylinder head.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah if it really did have a failed helicoil it may be too screwed now. I don't know if they have oversized inserts for that kind of thing or not.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldn't a machine shop be able to fix something like this? One that specialized in auto engines? Other than that you'll have to go to a junk yard. Shipping a head would be expensive. Tough times like these require a tough guy...like DeathCougar. He runs a Toyota parts place up in Washington. Try PM'ing him, he might have a 3.4L head around...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Yeah man, it was stronger that your average helicoil, it wasnt like a spring, it was more like a frickin jacket... the cylinder head is done my man. I'm looking at a guy on ebay who sells them for $285, ships it to you, then you send him the old head at no cost. I've been looking around for a cheaper deal, but haven't had any luck. I wish i didnt have to replace it, but it seems unavoidable. I've looked on the classifieds on here but have found no heads. I'd like to get this done as soon as possible too. I dont know, it just sucks, you know? Poor truck was making some horrible noises last night, that kind that you feel yourself like someones stabbing you haha thats the first time I've ever broken down :/ Not fun. It was cold as too, and i was wearing a damn suit.

Good call on the junkyard hunting, maybe i ought to at least give it a shot before i spend a few hundred dollars, eh?

I've also got to get the ignition coil thing...

Last edited by SleevelessSteve; 01-10-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 AM

I dont know, do you think that a machine shop could fix it? Theres already been one helicoil thing in it man..

I really need to post some pictures, but i havent had a chance too.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

I bet it could be fixed by a machine shop. Maybe they could make a custom insert out of bar stock, drill the hole in the head to make a clean hole, tap the hole, thread the outside of the insert and drill and tap the inside of the insert for the spark plug. I don't know, something like that seems possible to me. I'd try to make the insert out of aluminum rather than steel to help keep the heat transfer rate away from the spark plug the same or close. You might still have to go to a cooler plug for that one cyl.

You seem pretty set on getting a new head so go for that.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-10-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 AM

It's not that im entirely bent on getting a new cylinder head- I would like to avoid doing so, its just that ive kind of prepared myself for the worst haha. I also want to do this right the first time, you know? I guess I'll think about it, maybe it would prove to be a cheaper, more effective alternative. Thanks for the suggestion man.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM

its can be fixxed, dont give up on yourself..

i've seen where they filled the whole thing in with a welder and then drilled and tapped it to the correct size, problem no more...

the right machine shop will fix you right.. dont waste all that money.. when not need..

first of all go back to the place where u bought your rigg and tell them to fix or your going to take some legal action on them.

look up lemon laws..

talk to city hall about this carlot..

and post this problem in the local newspaper..

if you dont wanna go this route i would just buy 2 new heads and just change both of them at the same time.. and throw in heads that will help motor down the highway..
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

I'd stay away from any welding option on aluminum heads because of the possiblility of warping the head. Aluminum transfers the heat way so quickly the whole head has to get very hot to weld on it.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 PM

I bought a 4runner when this happened to it.
Seek out a snap on late mode 5.4l insert kit and have the machine shop cut it down to the spark plug shank size, (or a friend with a metal lathe).
Follow the snap on instructions, mine called for jb welding the insert in overnight.
I've had 10,000 miles since and changed the plugs once and all is good.
HTH
Frank
Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM

that, works too.. you should be proud of your self.. i would be..
Old 01-10-2010, 03:26 PM

I agree with mt_goat, I'm a little apprehensive about all this cutting and welding when such critical pieces are involved. I kinda want to play it safe and get the part... I was lucky that more didnt get damaged this time i think, you know? I'm taking this rig down to Virginia Tech in the fall, a good 600 mile round trip run for me... I feel like if i cheap out on this now it might cost me more in the long run. the power train just seems like that last place to skim, you know? forgive me if i'm not quite as adventurous as the rest.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
its can be fixxed, dont give up on yourself..
first of all go back to the place where u bought your rigg and tell them to fix or your going to take some legal action on them.

look up lemon laws..

talk to city hall about this carlot..

and post this problem in the local newspaper..

if you dont wanna go this route i would just buy 2 new heads and just change both of them at the same time.. and throw in heads that will help motor down the highway..

I bought this truck off a private person- i doubt they were even aware of the fact that the plug was messed with. Legal action six months after the fact when the truck is under different ownership? They could just say that I'm the one who ed it up, or that any claim is invalid because I'm not the owner who had the work done.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:45 PM

well, getting a insert for it will get the job done and you should never have a problem with it again.. just take your time and find a good machine shop to do it for ya if your.. not up to it...

i would still replace both head gasket's just to play on the safe side.. sene your dong the long hual all the way to lynchburg..

Quick Reply: Blew a spark plug. Need new cylinder head. Wow. Fail.