Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

BL install: how to lift with sliders on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BL install: how to lift with sliders on?

im getting my 4crawler 1.5" BL any day now (hopefully) and am going over the install. looks pretty straight forward however, ive got my sliders on and dont want to take em off or remount them till after the lift is done etc because i know it might be a few weeks or so till i get a chance to grind em off n take em to a welder to get put back on. and in our piss rain weather, dont want the rust to accumulate quickly. plus sliders just have that cool factor..even with a tad bit of a gap.

so..

whats the best way to jack up the body other than the pinch weld that runs down the length of the body? is there anywhere thats strong enough that can handle it? ive got a floor jack & hi-lift...and will probably stack some 2X4's or 4X4's something. in the front there seems to be some places...but what about for putting in the a/b/c pillar pucks?

or do i have to take off the sliders to get the strongest lifting point? please say no...

thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 03:46 AM

I installed my BL with my sliders on. I used the longest piece of 2x4 I could fit between the supports for my sliders, and used a floor jack with that 2x4 to lift the body. I put the 2x4 right on the pinch weld. On once side, the pinch weld folded over slightly, on the other side, it held just fine. No damage, body lifted fine, blocks installed... all is good.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:48 AM

I installed my body lift before adding my sliders, but I still used the pinch weld because thats how everyone else had seemed to do it. I started out using a jack and 2x4s, but the wood started to crack under the pressure so I got worried and lowered it back down. My dad had an old toyota jack that was made to fit the pinch weld perfectly, so I ended up placing the jack on top of a few cinder blocks and didn't have any trouble after that. Find an old toyota jack if you can, if not make sure to use atleast 2 2x4s or a 4x4.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I installed my BL with my sliders on. I used the longest piece of 2x4 I could fit between the supports for my sliders, and used a floor jack with that 2x4 to lift the body. I put the 2x4 right on the pinch weld. On once side, the pinch weld folded over slightly, on the other side, it held just fine. No damage, body lifted fine, blocks installed... all is good.

hey jackson thanks for the input. yeah, im not able to put anything on the pinch weld. the main bar of my sliders run right underneath it (saw pics on your site and it seems your sliders stick out more?), and theres only about .25" clearance...hmm.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Ditto. I never relocated mine either. I probably should have, but oh well.

Doubledown - I hope you got scab plates when you had your sliders welded on. I jacked my rig up via my sliders with a Hi-lift one time and dimpled the frame. Nice huh?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
I installed my body lift before adding my sliders, but I still used the pinch weld because thats how everyone else had seemed to do it. I started out using a jack and 2x4s, but the wood started to crack under the pressure so I got worried and lowered it back down. My dad had an old toyota jack that was made to fit the pinch weld perfectly, so I ended up placing the jack on top of a few cinder blocks and didn't have any trouble after that. Find an old toyota jack if you can, if not make sure to use atleast 2 2x4s or a 4x4.

ive got an old VW scissor jack thats got the notch in it...i may try that out. i dont really wanna crush that weld spot either. not sure how im gonna get it high enough.

maybe if i start with jacking up the front end, ill be able to wedge up the side of the body between the slider & the pinch weld... or maybe i should just grind em off n get em relocated an inch up after the BL is on.

96Runner: yep, ive got the scab plates on there they hold up very well to the abuse i put em through...and only have minor deflection when using them to hi-lift the truck.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

I think that will work...jacking up the front end. You could also try wedging a couple prybars in between the pinch weld and the slider and have a buddy help you rock it back and forth...of course this will really jack the weld. You may also be able to lift up the body from underneath using a floor jack and a 2x6 to spread the load across the sheet metal.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
hey jackson thanks for the input. yeah, im not able to put anything on the pinch weld. the main bar of my sliders run right underneath it (saw pics on your site and it seems your sliders stick out more?), and theres only about .25" clearance...hmm.

ah, bummer. That will certainly be the monkey wrench in your works, so to speak.