Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bandit Runner's Grille Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Bandit Runner's Grille Mod

I finally got around to finishing my grille modification. It is a little different than the Satoshi mod, but as usual, I always try to be a little different than the rest.

Here's what it looked like before I started. (Sorry, its kind of hard to see.)

I used my 2002 grille and cut out all of the vertical and horizontal ribs leaving two open sections. I covered the nice glossy surfaces with blue painters tape to protect them while cutting, filing and sanding the ribs out. It looked like this:

The horizontal rib in the upper opening intersected the center oval shape, so when I cut that rib out, it left a hole in the top of the oval. I had to epoxy some plastic pieces and bondo it to fill it back in. You can kind of see it here:

For the screen mesh, I ordered some 3/16" hole pattern aluminum mesh from McMaster's. It very closely matches the mesh inside the hood scoop area. Here are the two pieces cut out to fit behind the openings:

Then I painted the grille openings and mesh semi-gloss black.

To attach the mesh, I had to epoxy some plastic chunks to the back of the grille, to screw the mesh into. (Sorry, I forgot to take pics of the back of the grille, to show the attachment, but no screws can be seen from the front) Here it is with the mesh attached:

Here it is completed in the truck:

I really like the way it turned out. It looks much cleaner without all of those odd-colored ribs in there. When I build my custom bumper next spring, It will have openings in the front that will be filled with the same mesh, so everything matches.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, subtle and clean mod. If you're not a fan of that odd colored grey plastic that's in your front valence, painting it black makes it look a little better. At least it looked better after on my Silver 4R, on your black one I could only imagine that it would look even better

Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, subtle and clean mod. If you're not a fan of that odd colored grey plastic that's in your front valence, painting it black makes it look a little better. At least it looked better after on my Silver 4R, on your black one I could only imagine that it would look even better
Thanks, yours looks real good too!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Nice mod bandit;I like to get around to doing mine in a similar fashion.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM

that looks hellllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a good man good job
Old 12-19-2009, 05:58 AM

What a clean looking mod. I've been wanting to do this myself and seeing yours definitely helps the decision! The only problem with my rig is that the grille's chrome and my rig is white. So doing mine in black is out of the question. Maybe an aluminum color would work well...would match the mesh at least.