Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

back window problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back window problems

my 95 runner back window wont roll down...i took it to get looked at and they said that there was a short in the back window motor. how hard would it be to change it out or is it even worth it
Old 12-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You might try applying power directly to the motor and see if it works (a ~10A battery charger works well for this). If the motor is stuck, it can appear to be a very low resistance (small fraction of an ohm), so depending on how "they" tested it, it may indeed be OK. If the motor works with direct power, then look at the wiring and relay module:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

Motors usually "burn out" and become an open circuit instead of a short circuit.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is starting to go out too. When I turn the key, it either won't go up or down. I have to jiggle it a bit. I thought maybe it could need lubrication around the key gear. I haven't used an lube yet, but that is where I plan to start. The fact that my switch is intermittent leads me to believe that it may be a lose connection. Good luck..just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if your motor is the same as mine (mines a 91 4 Runner), but I had a motor problem with mine and I got as motor out of the drivers door of a camary. It was a bit of a pain to change, but not too bad... I did it in less than an hour...
Old 12-06-2004, 03:29 AM

also make sure your rear wiper is seated in it's stop.the window wont work if it isn't.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 AM

yeah i check my wiper. when ever i push the button for the window to go down u cant even hear the motor runnin and it will drain my battery so i just disconnected the swich so it wont get any power. would it be hard to take the back tailgate apart from the inside of the car?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:27 PM

Man I just fixed mine like a few weeks ago. I had to get access through the back and it was a bit of a pain but do-able. Just put the seats down and make sure you have a flashlight to look around in there. Pop off the carpeted part on the door, just pick a corner and pull gently. After that you need a screw driver to take off black metal protector, then take off the vapour barrier (plastic). TAADAA! There it is, its easy to access the motor, I can put up a pic of it and my problem (stripped/worn gear) if you need to see. I would test the motor first to see if it does work. If it is faulty you can remove and replace it by removing the 3 bolts holding it from behind. Be careful when taking it off because it will come down, FAST, once you remove the motor.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:45 PM

thats what im probably gonna end up doin casue its drivin me crazy not bein able to work the window and not have access to the back of my car...how would i test the motor?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:52 AM

To test the motor I used these mini jumper cables, I don't know what they are really called but thats what I call them. haha, they look like jumper cables but the connecting ends are "roach clips". Just go to a hardware store and pick some up. Then once you take aparts the back just unplug the motor and you have to "jump" the motor using a battery source and the jumper cables. I just carefully stuck the ends of the jumpers into the harness, careful not to touch the ends of the cables together. There are only to ways to put the cables into the harness and one moves it up and mone moves it down. Good luck. With mine I just ended up pulling the bottom of the window down while my helper pushed from the top. But my gears on the motor were stripped. After I had the window down I just opened the door and flicked the latches on the side of the door to the closed position to bypass/trick the window so it would roll up. Then I pulled the window out off its tracks by continuing to roll the window up intil it slid out. Then I rolled it all the way down by jumping the motor, this was so the regulator would not kick back and take some skin off my knuckles when I pulled the motor out. After this its smooth sailing. I recommend pulling the regulator out , via the 4 bolts on the door, and cleaning it up. Mine was filthy, due to the fact that I used white lithium grease to lube it up instead of white grease. Oh yeah and I just sprayed like a mad fool in an attempt to get things working without taking apart everything. The only problem with this that I had was aligning the regulator teeth correctly once I reinstalled the window.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jtm994
my 95 runner back window wont roll down...i took it to get looked at and they said that there was a short in the back window motor. how hard would it be to change it out or is it even worth it
you havent got the window lock button pressed by accident? you wouldnt be the first
Old 12-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
95 4Runners dont have a window lock button....they elimininated that in mid '92
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Tailgate motor

I see what Jackpot2 is saying...If the tailgate isn't shut all the way or the lock is up the window won't operate. I bought an OEM motor for my '94 Runner's back window. Under the weatherstrip (at the bottom of the window) started to rot then the motor went. When I replaced it I found a ton of rot inside the door. I cleaned it all out and and applied a bedliner paint to the inside. I'm somewhat mechanically inclinded but my tools stink. For the R/R it took me 3 hours (without painting)
Old 12-14-2004, 10:43 AM

they said they disconnected the relay switch where would it be at?