Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

attempting tjm15 install... pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
attempting tjm15 install... pics inside

Well Got my tjm15.. been looking at bobs writeup and still confused but not as much. so hopefully Im just gonna go whack at some #### for a bit to see what happens. Small questions. do I need to disconnect battery when I clip the fog light and turn signal wires?

i got the bumper from Jason B at burtmanindustiries.com

anyways I'll figure it out since Im smart enough to work a problem out I think lol
If i dont write back today.. I dropped the bumper on my head and im either in the hospital or im dead. anyways lol. haha but hopefully Ill get it all workin smoothly.

y'all think I can attempt all of this in 6 hours? I have to goto work at 6pm.

anyways pics here

old brushguard,, a guy at work I work with has a stock 02 so im gonna let h im have it... this brushguard was sold to me by jev2022 and he was awesome with everything, has been good to me just need something beefier

Last edited by neliconcept; 08-10-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

you gota take off that bumper first, which is pretty easy; then take off the tow hook and tow loop thing or shackle hangers, whatever you have down there

then put the brackets on, and then the bumper on; unless something like stripped bolts (like i had) pop up, you should be done pretty quick

and as far as the turn signals, just splice the wires; i dont think you have to disconnect the battery, i didnt; but i guess you could just to be on the safe side

Last edited by northfacer581; 08-08-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

so I dont have to take the tow hooks off to get the bumper off? I know i'll have to take them off to put the tjm on but was just wondering. and in the picture which side is right and left of the brackets lol sry for stupid question.

bout to print up bobs writeup so I can see what im doing
Old 08-08-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get under there and start removing stuff, haha. Pull off the old bumper, the tow hook, and all the old bolts (save the bolts). Bolt the side wings onto the TJM, loosely bolt up the brackets to the truck, lower the bumper onto the brackets, put in bolts and nuts loosely. Now you can align the whole thing where you want it, then get underneath and tighten everything down. We used two hi-lifts to get it nice and level when we did it. It works great.

Old bumper off:

New mounts bolted up:

Lining up the new bumper using the patented dual-hi-lift method:

The finished product:

Only real problem is that we forgot to remove a stupid warning sticker about how the airbag won't work that is right on top...half under his grill once we tightened it down...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 AM

Cherish the pics of your clean 4R.

It won't look like this after you take it wheelin' for the first time.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned

oh yeah..
I have it loose as hell but I must be missin some bolts.. i feel like just kickin the damn bumper to the ground but that wont solve anything.

Im gonna eat then I'll take some pics of what I have so far. gonna look for any and all bolts to take off If I have too
Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by OutdoorLiving
Cherish the pics of your clean 4R.

It won't look like this after you take it wheelin' for the first time.
That isn't mine, that is Pat161's. It isn't so clean anymore, he got broadsided in it, it is gone now. I have an '85 that I am accumulating large amounts of body damage on. Hahaha.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by neliconcept
oh yeah..
I have it loose as hell but I must be missin some bolts.. i feel like just kickin the damn bumper to the ground but that wont solve anything.

Im gonna eat then I'll take some pics of what I have so far. gonna look for any and all bolts to take off If I have too
IIRC, there are 4 bolts underneath, holding the hooks on, then there are another 3 or 4 up inside the bumper on the front of each mounting plate, then there is one on each side wing holding it on. Just be careful, they are a PITA to get off if you strip them...ask Lee about when we did his, hahaha. I now own a full set of bolt-outs to alleviate this problem in the future.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

I got a stripper kit remover.. but I cant see for ÅÅÅÅ.. where are the wing holders at?

I do have the bracket bolts off on each side of the skid plate. and I havent taken tow hooks off but I didnt think I would have to just yet. well ill just take every damn bolt off I see under there.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Banned

hey..im in greenville right now. I dont think its too far from anderson. IF you want help let me know.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!! lol

yeah man here is my number 864-226-9773
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 AM

I got a stripper kit remover.. but I cant see for ÅÅÅÅ.. where are the wing holders at?

I do have the bracket bolts off on each side of the skid plate. and I havent taken tow hooks off but I didnt think I would have to just yet. well ill just take every damn bolt off I see under there.
The side bolts are inside the wheelwell on the front of each side, if you get a flashlight and crawl underneath or pull off the plastic cladding from side the wheelwell, you may be able to see them,
If you look through the front of the bumper (the opening/grill part) you should be able to see the bolts on the front of the plate inside.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

ahhh those.. those bolts are not cooperating. I think i might have to use a drill.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 AM

ahhh those.. those bolts are not cooperating. I think i might have to use a drill.
Which ones are you talking about? The ones on the front of the plate or the ones on the sides of the bumper?
Make sure you are turning them the right way, also hit them with some deep creep or other penetrant. I think Lee stripped his because with the upside down, bolt facing forward thing, he got confused. His bumper was trashed anyway though, so we just cut a hole in the front of it after that, to give us straight access to the stripped bolt. The stud stands out from behind that plate because there are captured (welded on) nuts on there, so if necessary you may be able to take a pair of vice grips to the backside of the threads, but that will ruin them.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

i take it your talking about the ones that hook up the tow bolts?

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING......go to a muffler shop or something (tis what i did) and ask them for help....i went to meineke, they used a giant air powered socket drill, and the things came right off.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM

So what's the word? Did you get it done?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Updates? I wanna know how it went.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

thanks northfacer you saved me and matts lives.

I have the bumper on sorta.. its hangin on the brackets..

matt... i figured it out.. the bumper hangers go in between the frame hangers..

should have noticed that before

going to work now... might get it done tonight or tomorrow.. pics to come
Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Get that thing on there! Geez, you work slower than me!

You are going to be sooooo glad you put that on before Tellico.

If you haven't posted a new thread about your locker install, you might want to do it soon to have time to get some good install info.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

I think im gonna finish the bumper tonight.. wouldnt take me long to line up.. just need a spot light.

I didnt take pics of the plates but I think im going to pull bumper back off to do so for those who havent seen it yet.

OMG it lOOKS AWESOME lol

edit: and a big thanks to MATT! aka localmotion who came from greenville which is a hours drive to and from. and helped me out with getting the bumper intially off.

Thanks bro!!

Last edited by neliconcept; 08-08-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: attempting tjm15 install... pics inside