Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

anyone know where I can get a DRL module for my 01 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know where I can get a DRL module for my 01 4runner?

Blew mine up doing DRL disable v.1.0.
Now my driving lights don't work.
Thanks,
-l-
Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch. Stay away from the dealer if at all possible...they want about $200-$300 for one.

Wish I could be of more help.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Junkyard?

Wholesale autoparts?

I don't know if they carry them, but, try this:
http://www.trdparts4u.com

Its Toyota of Dallas, they have good prices, and the guy who runs the website is on here I believe.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 AM

Yeah I've checked the dealer channels and all the local salvage (for months)
and just not getting any love. Guess I will have to keep looking for parting 3rd gens.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM

Have you checked car-parts.com? They've usually got a pretty good selection of parts.

Also, be wary posting about the whole DRL disable thing. Some people on this board will make you think no DRL's mean being plowed by a huge semi.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks

Yeah I tried them, But all those online DB search programs don't have dropdowns for DRL or headlight module, best you can get is elec, misc. I haven't done the chat route with a human yet.

Thanks for the heads up. I am not a noob on this forum, just sick of waiting for the admins to figure out whats up with my normal vailguy login.

-l-
Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

V@ilguy, you might try Irbis Offroad. I believe that they are in Aurora, and I usually see CL ads for 3rd gens being parted out.

I've had good luck with Yotayard, in Denver, but they seem more specialized in the '84 - '95 models. I've only seen a few newer ones there.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by V@ilguy
Thanks,
-l-
Please explain this, i am thinking about doing the DRL mod myself but don't want to mess it up. But i can't stand them being on no matter what!

Some more info would be great.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Saw this in Craigslist, said they have 2 3rd gens, call 'em up

Advance Auto Wrecking
777C Energy Way
Chula Vista CA 91911
(619) 216-6012 M-F 8-5, Sat 8-3.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks,
-l-
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Please explain this, i am thinking about doing the DRL mod myself but don't want to mess it up. But i can't stand them being on no matter what!

Some more info would be great.
Tex, since you have an '00 4Runner, disabling the DRLs on your rig is a piece of cake to accomplish. Just unplug the drl box under your hood and you're done. The box is located between the driverside fender and the battery. When you want DRLs again, just plug it back into the connector.

I'm assuming V@ilguy has an '01 or '02 4Runner and simply snipped the incorrect wire. Correct me if I'm wrong Vail.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 01-24-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Tex, since you have an '00 4Runner, disabling the DRLs on your rig is a piece of cake to accomplish. Just unplug the drl box under your hood and you're done. The box is located between the driverside fender and the battery. When you want DRLs again, just plug it back into the connector.

I'm assuming V@ilguy has an '01 or '02 4Runner and simply snipped the incorrect wire. Correct me if I'm wrong Vail.
That could be it, except i thought that it was 00' that the wire cutting thing started? If not then great, this will be easy to do. Though i want to make a switch to turn them on and off. I need to go back through that thread and hope the pictures are still there...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

No, '01 & '02 owners are required to cut a wire to disable their drls. The drl module in '01 and '02 4Runners is located under the steering wheel. The only way to disable them is to snip a wire.

However, my wife drives an '00 and the drl box is located under the hood. I can just unplug it to turn the drls off or plug it back in to have them come on again. Granted, I would suggest if you plan on unplugging them for an extended period of time, I would cover/tape up the connectors on both ends to keep dirt and water out.

In your case, why make a switch for on/off operation when you can just open your hood and unplug/plug them back in? That seems like overkill IMO. Why try to reinvent the wheel?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:34 AM

You are correct Rock Slide, I cut the wrong wire. I followed the TTORA release on disabling the DRL but it didn't correspond with my exact model year. I did this about two years ago, and I keep getting pulled over for having my license plate lights out. There is writeup for a different wire that has been discovered since then that you can clip or switch. The module kinda works like a remote lead on a audio amplifier. the TTORA release had me cut the ground wire --BAD-- this gives you mixed results and destroys parts of the module. You want to disable the remote lead. Details can be found here
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...ability-87596/

I have also been watching Craigslist, and have called the guys parting in Denver, even did a national Craigslist search and got a couple parters in CA, but they did not have the exact module. I really appreciate all the suggestions and will try those listed above.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

No, '01 & '02 owners are required to cut a wire to disable their drls. The drl module in '01 and '02 4Runners is located under the steering wheel. The only way to disable them is to snip a wire.

However, my wife drives an '00 and the drl box is located under the hood. I can just unplug it to turn the drls off or plug it back in to have them come on again. Granted, I would suggest if you plan on unplugging them for an extended period of time, I would cover/tape up the connectors on both ends to keep dirt and water out.

In your case, why make a switch for on/off operation when you can just open your hood and unplug/plug them back in? That seems like overkill IMO. Why try to reinvent the wheel?
Ok, i had only looked at the write up very quickly a long time ago and all i could remember is that one of them had to have the wire cut ect.

If i don't then all the better! The only reason for the switch was that i like them on for the most part in that i think it is the DRL that turns my lights off when i open the door ect... and i like that feature.... just in case.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Hey TA,

I was going over some old LED posts, what kind of LED did you put in your console Type A B or C?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
If i don't then all the better! The only reason for the switch was that i like them on for the most part in that i think it is the DRL that turns my lights off when i open the door ect... and i like that feature.... just in case.
On my '02, I've disabled my drls and the auto off feature you speak of, still works fine on mine. I too like the fact that I can leave my headlights on at night and when I turn the truck off and open the door, they turn off automatically. Crank the truck back up and they come on automatically.

You should be fine. Test yours and find out - just unplug the drl box and see what your headlights do. At least that way, you'll know for sure If the auto off feature still operates correctly.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM

On my 98 4R, I have fog light wired not only control by fog light manual switch, but it is wired to ignition-on wire under dash, instead of headlight-on, as with normal fog light setup for 98 4R.
This allow me to only turn on fog light on, w/o parking light or headlight, also I could leave fog light manual switch on, but it will turn off automatically as soon as I turn off ignition.
When I leave the fog light manual switch on all the time, it become DRL.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i called my local junkyards and the newest models the had was a '99.. sorry man i tried.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

On my '02, I've disabled my drls and the auto off feature you speak of, still works fine on mine. I too like the fact that I can leave my headlights on at night and when I turn the truck off and open the door, they turn off automatically. Crank the truck back up and they come on automatically.

You should be fine. Test yours and find out - just unplug the drl box and see what your headlights do. At least that way, you'll know for sure If the auto off feature still operates correctly.
That is good to hear. I had just assumed that the auto on/off feature was part of the DRL. That is the ONLY thing that i like about if it was. If not then good bye DRL!!

I will have to go pull that as soon as it stops raining.

Hey TA,

I was going over some old LED posts, what kind of LED did you put in your console Type A B or C?
Console? I have actually not replaced any of the dash lights with LED's yet, i plan to do that in the spring. the only lights i have replaced are the climate control and the key ring light. The climate were lights from the dealer and the key ring was a 74 type bulb.

Or are you talking about something else?