Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

All these transmission drain/flush/cooler threads!!!!! (Let's nail this coffin!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ actually I think it's called 'Fred Anderson Toyota' now...
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM

i believe its 6 bucks a quart for the III and type 4 and 8 for the WS.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info! That price is pretty comparable to most all the other atf. I wonder who makes it before they put the Toyota label on it. Seeing as how Yota isn't in the oil or refinery biz, makes ya wonder if it's just Valvoline or Castrol or something...
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runnerFireman
Toyota of Charleston (sc) told me that. I also thought that was weird. I used Valvoline dex III when I flushed out the power steering a couple years back, but I didn't check with them back then, so I wasn't aware of this until now. I used the full synthetic for the power steering, but not synthetic in the tranny. Anyway...hmmm. How much do you charge per Q of Toyota Dex III just out of curiosity?!
I haven't had very good experience with the Toyota Dealerships in Charleston. I'm not surprised you got some bad information. Not the first time it's happened to me and been a problem.

BTW, I talked with you via e-mail about the plenum/manifold. I take it you didn't need it, all the better! I've been busy, haven't gotten back to you via email, but glad to see that you got your problem fixed! Sounds like with the trans flush you're good to go for a while!

What part of Charleston are you in? Lol. I just ask b/c I'm in the Goose Creek area and I've seen a 4Runner that could be yours at the local station I drive by regularly.

Annnd, on more thing. I noticed from your pic on your member page that you have 5th gen rims. Is that right? Do your run spacers with them? I saw the same set from a 2013 on Craigslist that I'd love to have. Any problems with them? Any clearance issues?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Hey man...yeah the plenum & intake checked out ok, I meant to email you that to tell ya. Thanks anyway, hopefully you'll get rid of those parts, I'm sure you will. I'm usually always in the east cooper or downtown area, very rarely go to GC so I'm sure it's someone else. Yeah those wheels are off of a 2010 4runner, bought them off CL for pretty cheap a couple years back. Some guy bought the truck brand new, drove it off the lot and straight to the wheel shop in N Chas for some chromed out chompies. I got them from him with like 20 miles on them. They have a couple minor scratches on them from me doing so much work to the truck, and I'm on my 2nd set of tires. No fitment issues w/ them @ all, no spacers. They look just fine, even from the back. Also got 275/70/17's on them, so it gives me the extra 3/8" in width, or close to it. I've thought about putting 1/4" spacers on, but I'm not too keen on the way they ride, or put a slight bit more stress on my worn out ball joints etc....although it probably wouldn't make a hill of beans! I've got Tundra 5150 adjustables for the front, I need to buy some new springs & shocks for the back, I've been putting it off. Just gonna be about 2.5" over stock, about 1.5" over 'tall spring' height....that's my next job to tackle, of course after I change the trans fluid in the girlfriends Corolla!!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runnerFireman
Hey man...yeah the plenum & intake checked out ok, I meant to email you that to tell ya. Thanks anyway, hopefully you'll get rid of those parts, I'm sure you will. I'm usually always in the east cooper or downtown area, very rarely go to GC so I'm sure it's someone else. Yeah those wheels are off of a 2010 4runner, bought them off CL for pretty cheap a couple years back. Some guy bought the truck brand new, drove it off the lot and straight to the wheel shop in N Chas for some chromed out chompies. I got them from him with like 20 miles on them. They have a couple minor scratches on them from me doing so much work to the truck, and I'm on my 2nd set of tires. No fitment issues w/ them @ all, no spacers. They look just fine, even from the back. Also got 275/70/17's on them, so it gives me the extra 3/8" in width, or close to it. I've thought about putting 1/4" spacers on, but I'm not too keen on the way they ride, or put a slight bit more stress on my worn out ball joints etc....although it probably wouldn't make a hill of beans! I've got Tundra 5150 adjustables for the front, I need to buy some new springs & shocks for the back, I've been putting it off. Just gonna be about 2.5" over stock, about 1.5" over 'tall spring' height....that's my next job to tackle, of course after I change the trans fluid in the girlfriends Corolla!!
Yeah, I don't even care. I'll hold on to the parts, they'll get some use one way or the other.

Okay, cool! Yeah, I don't want to run spacers either. I just don't like the idea of it. I found this ad a few days ago and maybe instead of spending a whole day and $50 bucks or so painting my wheels, I'm thinking I'll snag these and sell my old wheels when I get some new rubber. I've got a 3" OME lift, and I'm wanting to put a set of 285/70/17s on em.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/pts/3587902060.html

Those look pretty slick, same as yours. The guy says he wants the full $450 for them right now, but check back in a couple weeks if they're not sold. So, we'll see. I was on the fence, but yours look so clean, I think I'm hooked, esp. if I don't need to run spacers/worry about clearance issues. Didn't mean to hijack your trans thread, but thanks for the info!

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 02-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.