Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

All these transmission drain/flush/cooler threads!!!!! (Let's nail this coffin!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up All these transmission drain/flush/cooler threads!!!!! (Let's nail this coffin!!)

Hello everyone!

I will keep this short and quick. We've all read the options/suggestions for tranny maintenance, here are 3 quick questions that should finalize the unanswered questions some of us may have!

1 - FSM recommends using FIPG to seal the pan back up. We all know how difficult FIPG can be. I would like to hear from you guys that have used the rubber transmission gasket from the auto parts stores. They're only like $7, and would be much less of a headache, as long as they don't leak

2 - Type of transmission fluid. Have you guys been using synthetic or non-synthetic? What is the general consensus of the best fluid to replace the stock Toyota fluid with?!

3 - External coolers...It appears that 90% of everyone that has done this mod has used B&M 70264, or the tru-cool 4454. I'm leaning towards the B&M personally. Also, if you have installed a magnefine filter in-line, what brand have you had luck with? Have you installed a tranny temp gauge? If so what brand? (I read reviews on the B&M gauge, NOT good reviews!!)

I think these 3 major questions will help a lot of us make our final decision on what to do with our tranny maintenance! skjos has done a KILLER write-up on this matter, but does not give any info on the 3 questions listed above. If you've not seen this page, study it, bookmark it, print it, whatever it takes....This is some AWESOME info here!!!

http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html

Thanks in advance to everyone out there that can give valuable & needed on these subjects!! Have a great day!!

4runnerFireman
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1. FIPG. Nothing else can compare.
2. Toyota Tranny fluid. Price is very competitive with other brands. Takes the guess work out of the equation.
3. No in line filter, creates unintended consequences with the tranny and valve body. Use what ever AT cooler you want, the importiant thing here is to get the cooling out of the radiator.

This is not rocket science nor should it be portrayed as such...
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd make sure to use a "stacked plate" type cooler.
Use recommended trans fluid.
Use a black rtv for sealing up the pan.

One thing I can say from my personal battles with auto transmissions.

They dont "heal" themselves...lol.
Doing a power flush to cure an issue is a waste of money.
Once something starts going bad...its only a matter of time before it poops out.

If it works...for gods sake dont go messing with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux
I'd make sure to use a "stacked plate" type cooler.
Use recommended trans fluid.
Use a black rtv for sealing up the pan.

One thing I can say from my personal battles with auto transmissions.

They dont "heal" themselves...lol.
Doing a power flush to cure an issue is a waste of money.
Once something starts going bad...its only a matter of time before it poops out.

If it works...for gods sake dont go messing with it.

Thats Fuuny... My old boss has a T100 with 360K of mostly highway miles on it. It still has the originol transmission fluid in it. He asked about changing it and they told him the new stuff might scare it... LOL
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM

There is a reason more and more newer trannies are "sealed" systems with no call for changing fluid.

I went through major issues with a 4r75w in my supercharged mach1.

I learned alot...especially that I hate the smell of burned trans fluid.
The cooler a tranny can run the better. Fluid life is dramatically shortened by heat.

In my opinion...the only thing a Toyota 4wd guy should concern himself with as far as an automatic goes is the 4runner radiator issue. Id get an aftermarket cooler for one asap. That radiator was a bad idea.

trans brakes...higher rpm stalls...valvebody mods are for go fast types.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM

I bought one but ran out of time before I had to go to a buisness trip to El Salvador. I will be here till this weekend and putting the cooler on is the first thing to do when I get back.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No reason to drop the pan so no FIPG. The tranny has a screen, not a filter.
Add a magnefine inline filter
Flush the fluid and use Valvoline max ATF
B&M 70264
Replace your original radiator
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Inline filters can cause a pressure drop when clogged which can eat a tranny.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Inline filters can cause a pressure drop when clogged which can eat a tranny.
The magnefine filter has an internal bypass valve which has been tested and does not restrict flow when the filter is clogged.

It also has a rare earth magnet which keeps the metallic crap from recirculating thru the small valves and passages. A cool and clean tranny will last a long time.

If you are interested in a safe way to flush the tranny, here is a thread i wrote up for my sienna. The principles are the same.

transmission flush DIY

Last edited by DRCOFFEE; 01-31-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM

Ingenious. Im going to check that out. Nice suggestion.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM

DrCoffee, I read your thread on the Sienna, good stuff. I agree. Totally agree. Seems some of those guys are giving you grief over nothing. Some things can be over-thought, everyone may have a different opinion. AT's can be a different beast, for sure. I've decided I'm not dropping my pan, gonna flush and replace w/ Valvoline DexIII, inline filter & external cooler & be done w/ this mind F***!! If it fails me, then it was meant to be. Can't say we never tried!!! Kudos to all!!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by snobdds
1. FIPG. Nothing else can compare.
2. Toyota Tranny fluid. Price is very competitive with other brands. Takes the guess work out of the equation.
3. No in line filter, creates unintended consequences with the tranny and valve body. Use what ever AT cooler you want, the importiant thing here is to get the cooling out of the radiator.

This is not rocket science nor should it be portrayed as such...
Yes, it is rocket science

:wabbit2:
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree...

Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

:wabbit2:
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM

Ha!! Btw, on the 'Toyota' transmission issue. I called them yesterday, he said Toyota does not have a Dextron III, he told me just to get some stuff from the auto parts store. Is that accurate? Said the only tranny fluid they carry is the T4, T5 stuff...
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM

That's what I heard too. If you go to www.advanceautoparts.com and buy Valvoline Max ATF Dex/Merc online, use p20 as a discount code for 20% off ($18/gallon). Then you would just go pick it up from your local store.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Last time I drained/filled some ATF, I used this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...smission+fluid

As far as the advance auto coupon codes go, most fluids aren't eligible for the coupons. ATF and oil NEVER are. But, always check retailmenot.com or something similar before buying anything at Advance and buy it online. I've saved $45+ on an Optima battery, $65 on Moog shocks/springs, etc. I can't buy anything at Advance now without doing some math, comparing coupons, and buying online.

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 02-02-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to give a quick update. I performed a full tranny fluid swap yesterday w/o dropping the pan. I was pressured for time & a good place to work on the truck etc...

Drained the 4.6-5Q's out of the pan(the manual says you will only drain 2.1 Q's, well...it's wrong). Filled back with the EXACT amount, removed the return line from the radiator, placed drain tube into a bucket that I pre-marked in Q intervals. Had my dad start the truck, drained a Q, shut the truck down, added a Q...Start, drain a Q, shut down, refilled a Q and repeated, you guys know the drill.

The fluid that was coming out was pretty darn dirty, until the 12th Q, then it started flowing pretty ruby-red-clear. I went ahead and did the full 16 Q's since I was already down there. I plan to install the external cooler very soon, like within a month. I also plan to drop the pan and check the magnets, filter etc around 200k. This was just a quick simple peace of mind thing I wanted to get out of the way!

I had trouble finding any other non-synthetic fluid other than Valvoline (pictured below), so I went with that. So far it's shifting a little smoother, haven't really driven it enough to tell the difference yet, if any. I also attached 2 more pics. One dipstick swipe of the old fluid, one dipstick swipe of the new fluid.

Have a good week everyone!
Attached Thumbnails All these transmission drain/flush/cooler threads!!!!! (Let's nail this coffin!!)-old-trans-fluid.jpg   All these transmission drain/flush/cooler threads!!!!! (Let's nail this coffin!!)-new-trans-fluid.jpeg   All these transmission drain/flush/cooler threads!!!!! (Let's nail this coffin!!)-trans-fluid.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerFireman
Ha!! Btw, on the 'Toyota' transmission issue. I called them yesterday, he said Toyota does not have a Dextron III, he told me just to get some stuff from the auto parts store. Is that accurate? Said the only tranny fluid they carry is the T4, T5 stuff...
WHO DID YOU CALL?? cause i carry Toyota ATF(dextron III), T4, and the newer WS fluid in my store....

the Toyota ATF(dextron III) we also use as Power Steering fluid for top offs and flushes as per owners manual...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 PM

Toyota of Charleston (sc) told me that. I also thought that was weird. I used Valvoline dex III when I flushed out the power steering a couple years back, but I didn't check with them back then, so I wasn't aware of this until now. I used the full synthetic for the power steering, but not synthetic in the tranny. Anyway...hmmm. How much do you charge per Q of Toyota Dex III just out of curiosity?!

Quick Reply: All these transmission drain/flush/cooler threads!!!!! (Let's nail this coffin!!)