Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air box mods, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air box mods, which one?

ok, so i plan to do a bunch of work on 4runner tomorrow morning ('95 2nd Gen). Can someone net it out for me, which would be best 1) air box drill out method, 2) air intake silencer removal, or 3) deckplace mod.

While I don't do a lot of mudding or water crossings (once a year or so), I do most of my 4 wheeling on sand while in hot pursuit of bass. So the roads travelled are sandy and sometimes dusty. Occasionally I need to cross water, but try to avoid fording salt. Either way all 3 mods seem to accomplish the same thing. I'm not sure if a combination of them would be recommeded from those of you who have done them. I like the idea of the deckplate mod since you can close it up for water/mud intensive trails, of for sandy adventures. Any opinions/advice tonight would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

After more thought and no replies it seems that the airbox mod and deckplate mod both accomplish the same thing with the deckplate mod being a reversable option for water crossings b/c you can reseal the airbox. The ISR mod seems like another good thing to do in conjunction with either of the first two... Have I got this this right?
Old 08-02-2004, 12:11 PM

A drill out box mod with a perfomance filter inside in conjuction with the ISR mod will be benificial,But will be a bit louder.(this is what i have)
Someone will correct me if im wrong but i dont think the deckplate can be done to the 2nd gen 3.0
Old 08-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Let us know if you figure out a way to do a deckplate mod on a 2nd gen V6.

Hint: Start with the ISR mod.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After more thought and no replies it seems that the airbox mod and deckplate mod both accomplish the same thing with the deckplate mod being a reversable option for water crossings b/c you can reseal the airbox. The ISR mod seems like another good thing to do in conjunction with either of the first two... Have I got this this right?

I would just do the ISR only it's not worth the extra fuss to try and get a cone air filter to work for it properly either. Just get a k&n drop in for the stock box and be done with it. If you do want a big fat k&n air cleaner go through downey for it they have years of experience with setups like that.
Also if you cross deep water like in your sig there don't go drilling holes in your airbox because it will just suck in water if you do a deep water crossing. It may be just fine for those who live in the desert where there isn't alot of water or rivers to cross I'll never do it to mine though. Just my opinion.
BTW deck plate mod won't work on a second gen air box since it is completely different..

Last edited by 934rnr; 08-02-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Good to know about deck plate mod, I thought I might be able to add smaller deckplate-esk fittings around the my airbox. However I'm pretty new to this whole thing and haven't taken apart my air filter yet. So I haven't wrapped my head fully around how it functions. Thanks for the advice guys. I definitly plan do the ISR mod. About a K&N I've read their not good if you do driving in dusty places... however that might have just been with the FIPK.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys...I might be a little late on this, but I did a mod that was close to the deckplate on my 91 4runner. I did the ISR....then with the space that was open by removing the box I cut a hole and place pvc there. I used a glue that melts the plastic from 3M...it was close, but fit. The other end is threaded on the inside so I can just close it up when I need to.......
Old 09-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Really! I just did/am doing the ISR mod on my '95. I will finish it up in the morning. I knew someone would figure out a way. :grin: Can you post some pics of how it looks, sounds cool.

Note: Everyone I talked to today in the process of finding all the parts insisted that I should I use silicon rubber tube...which is what I got for it. Curious if anyone else has run into problems using the reg. rubber hose?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey addict....what are you using the silicon rubber tube for?.....I used the existing tubes and had a friend bend the pipe for me. As you read on the other thread I've had problems with finding the brass fittings....I've been using two parts that screw together, but they leak so I'm trying to replace them with a single elbow. I post pics as soon as I can.....cam is getting fixed so it might be a bit. As for the sound....louder, but nice. I like it...it sounds mean
Old 09-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Talking ISR Mod Completed.

Originally Posted by AW1090
what are you using the silicon rubber tube for?.....
To connect the replacement tube from the throttle body to the airbox. In the pics below it's that perty blue tube that matches the blue RTV (not that I really care all that much that it matches). I'd still love to see the pics of your deckplace in spirit mod. I see what you're saying there is now room on the side of the box to add something to that effect, however I think i would want to wrap it around to the light to get some cool air. However by diverting around the front to the light intake it might defeat the purpose.

Here are some pics of my job newly completed job. Cheers.

Last edited by flyAddict; 07-11-2005 at 11:55 AM. Reason: link updates
Old 09-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

What that blue stuff under the barbs, and how much is it?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:01 AM

The other thing that i did was to drill some holes in the drivers side headlight bezel. The air comes into the air box from this location so i thought it may help a little.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
What that blue stuff under the barbs, and how much is it?
The blue stuff is Blue RTV Silicon Sealant: Gasket Maker, I used it in conjunction with the rubber o-rings to get a better seal.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Cool, I like it.

I would also like to see if you can pull off the deckplate mod on your rig.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Addict, what kind of tube did you use and where did you get it?
I'd love to do the ISR mod, the box mod, and put a drop in K&N filter in.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

The main tube is 3" muffler tubing that I got done at a local muffler chain, at the time I couldn't find anyone to mandrel bend it. Since then I've found a shop that has a mandrel bender that can handle 3" pipe. I painted it with Rustoleum Heat Resistan spray paint for grills and the like. I will probably replace it with a section of mandrel bent pipe soon. As far as the deckplate mod I'm working on a way to do it...I'll keep you posted. The tube gets really hot so I used the 3" silicon tubing to connect it.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

The only thing I hate about my intake (which will soon be redone) is that you have to remove it to check the oil. I can do it pretty quickly but it's still a PITA especially when you have to do it every 1K miles.

flyAddict, that looks great. Where did you get the rubber connections from? I'm probably going to be replacing mine when I replace my PVC ISR.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Thinking of doing this mod on my rig. Just wondering if anyone thinks there would be a problem with schedule 40 PVC. Its easy to bend almost any angle or shape with a hotbox, and it's thick enough to thread and use 90 degree gas line fittings. No worrys about lock nuts loosening and PVC holds paint real well. Also where did you pickup the 3 inch silcone rubber tubing?

Last edited by Dublin; 09-09-2004 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added line to my post
Old 09-10-2004, 08:55 AM

deckplate mod

FYI: I looked into doing the deckplate mod when I first bought my taco a year ago. I did the mod but didn't feel like I got anything out of it (except for more noise). So, the deckplate was screwed back in after 8 months.

just sharing,
hong