Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aftermarket roof rails

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket roof rails

We just recently purchased a '91 4Runner that does not have a factory roof rack, nor rails mounted. I went to the stealership this afternoon to ask about it, and they claimed that many of the 4Runners destined for the Canadian market did not come with the roof racks - "sorry, out of luck."

My question is: has anyone out there had good luck with the aftermarket roof rails? I don't even have rain gutters, so if I want a rack on top, I'll have to drill some holes and install the rails myself. Living in Seattle, I see a lot of potential leakage issues if not sealed correctly.

Secondly, I was wondering if the 4Runners that came with factory rails had any reinforcement under the roof to handle loads?

TIA
Old 02-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally Posted by Desert Rat
We just recently purchased a '91 4Runner that does not have a factory roof rack, nor rails mounted. I went to the stealership this afternoon to ask about it, and they claimed that many of the 4Runners destined for the Canadian market did not come with the roof racks - "sorry, out of luck."

My question is: has anyone out there had good luck with the aftermarket roof rails? I don't even have rain gutters, so if I want a rack on top, I'll have to drill some holes and install the rails myself. Living in Seattle, I see a lot of potential leakage issues if not sealed correctly.

Secondly, I was wondering if the 4Runners that came with factory rails had any reinforcement under the roof to handle loads?

TIA
Check out both Yakima and Thule, they make rail kits complete with endcaps that will bolt onto your roof using the factory holes hidden under the black strip up top, or you can drill new holes through your roof & seal them up against water & snow. I had them on my Tacoma's topper and they work great, a lot cheaper than the factory rack: US$80 vs. ~$700!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:05 PM

Yakima has a self tap kit to mount the towers to the roof. You really only have two choices.
1 Keep an eye out in wrecking yards for wrecked Runners and get a rail system that way.

2 Get the self tap kit from Yakima and your good to go. Living in Central Wa. I just drilled into my roof and mounted it. Alot drier over here. Good luck. Blue
Old 02-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

I added the stock roof rack and i looked at a wreck and dont remember seeing any extra suppot. all i did was get the rack off of a reck where the roof was good and position the rack where i wanted it and then marked the holes, removed the headliner, drilled the holes and bolted it down usind hex bolts like what toyota used on with fender washers and lock nuts underside to hold i on better. just be sure to seal it up with silicone underneith the washer and the agian after its all bolted down. i think its sturdier than stock, quite a few people have remounted their racks with fenderwashers to make it sturdier.