Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Adding tow package

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll look when I head back up to the avid room. I'm getting some sfx from the sound lab but I'm almost done (once it finishes bouncing to disk) then I'll look for you. I would suspect 16" since the big brakes/16s were standard on limiteds in atleast 98. I'll look for ya though.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=CynicX]I been reading the manual to see what the max weight my taco can tow is and it says around 3500 lbs, but with the tow package I can tow 6000 lbs...

My question is what would I need to add the tow package? I know it has a tranny cooler and hitch receiver, is there anything else I'd need?...I'll probably never tow 6000 lbs but I will be towing around 3500 lbs and I dont want to max out the truck, so I'd like to upgrade a little.

Cliff Notes : What is included in the tow package?

QUOTE]

This is what I am trying to find out. When I bought my '04 with all the options (except tow pkg), no one at the dealer knew what was IN the tow pkg and why you could tow so much more. The tranny cooler makes sense if you have AT, but I have the 5sp. The color codes on my cooling fan shaft explained nothing. The parts guy could only find an overpriced trailer light harness for $150. No brake controller, no hitch, nothing else he could find in the towing package.

I plan to tow 5000 lb with my new class IV hitch and Reese controller.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:35 PM

there might have also been a change in the gearing, from 3:90 to 4:10, but that might have just been the difference of 2wd vs 4wd. dont bother with the trd cooler, just overpriced for what it is.

and look for the prodigy controller for the brakes and get the plug and play deal for the brake lights.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by dfkrug
This is what I am trying to find out. When I bought my '04 with all the options (except tow pkg), no one at the dealer knew what was IN the tow pkg and why you could tow so much more. The tranny cooler makes sense if you have AT, but I have the 5sp. The color codes on my cooling fan shaft explained nothing. The parts guy could only find an overpriced trailer light harness for $150. No brake controller, no hitch, nothing else he could find in the towing package.

I plan to tow 5000 lb with my new class IV hitch and Reese controller.
the fan shaft should be a bit longer to pull more air through the radiator. the color of the shaft tells it's length. does that make sense?

the tow pkg did come with a hitch but no brake controller. i think you can get a harness for <$50

Originally Posted by bigbadktm
and look for the prodigy controller for the brakes and get the plug and play deal for the brake lights.

that's basically what i got, it was easy to install and works great. i think that over priced wire harness from toyota included some box that they put in the drivers side compartment under the back seat. i believe their harness gets it's power from the battery (or fuse box) as opposed to piggy backing the tail lights. i haven't had any problems with the plug and play harness in the tail lights
Old 01-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Brandon, why do you think that a longer fan shaft pulls more air? It
seems logical that the fan is positioned in its best location within
the shroud by design.
My guess was there might be a higher volume water pump, but the
parts guy could not find more than one pump.

A decent 4-pin wiring harness with converter and LED readout is only
$15 at U-Haul. A nice hidden class IV hitch is only $100 out the door,
and a cheaper brake controller is less than $50 (Reese). The Tekonsha
Prodigy (over $100) is supposed to be the best, however.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 AM

towing package

Well, it is official. I heard from Toyota Customer Service and the Towing Package for the Tacoma has a light wiring harness, a hitch, and the cooling fan fluid coupler engages at a lower temperature.

There is no brake controller, upgraded brakes, trans cooler, etc in the Package.

I have installed a Reese electric brake controller and it is a pain cuz there is no easy access to a brake switch.

4Runners may be different. I did not ask.