95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Accidently Threw It Into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidently Threw It Into Reverse

Hey all,

Yesterday, I was driving along, and I typically use the automatic shifter in my runner as an arm rest. I have this little nack I guess to push the top bottom down alot. Well, when I was pushing it my arm was bumped by another passenger and it threw it into reverse. I was going aabout 25 mph at the time, and I quickly bumped it back into neutral. As i began to turn off onto a side street, all of my dash lights and warnings went on, I lost power steering, and my braking power was signifigantly diminished. I was able to stop it alright, but when I put it into park, to turn off the engine, there was this loud grinding/spinning sound. Now for my question. I know this couldnt have been good... lol but when I restarted everything it was fine, and I have had no problems since. Is it something I should have checked out right away... just ask about next check up... or disregard? Also, does anyone know what exactly was happening when i heard the grinding/spinning? I presume it was the gears and all, but I'd like to know the technical jargon. Also, does anyone have an explanation as to why all the warnings went on and i lost power steering and braking? Thanks for the help.

--Mike
Old 12-16-2002, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

heres what happened...

your car was goin 25mph in one direction and you tried to force the gears to instantaneously reverse directions:eek: ! my guess is nothing is wrong, your tranny was just stuck in between gears so thats why it freaked out. have it looked at tho and be careful when playing with that shifter
Old 12-16-2002, 09:28 PM

I did that in my dads truck and reverse is start go out almost a year later. My friend did it on the freeway and nothing happened to it. Its been driving fine for 3 years. Basically its luck of the draw. It may be fine or your tranny may go. Ryan makes a good point on the tranny freaking out. Those trannys are strong I doubt you will have a problem

Heath Miller
Old 12-16-2002, 09:53 PM

IMHO you may have knocked a few K off the life of the tranny, but the '85 toy auto tranny i have went 180k with out a hitch until the overdrive gear self destructed . you may want to mod ify your 'comforatable driving postion'.
My only recommendation would be to pull the tranny drain plug and see if there is any metal shaving on the magnet. If there are pull the pan clean out any filing that may be present there. You'll be about 2 to 2 1/2 quarts low of ATF fill to proper level and drive on till your next maintanance.

Nathan
Old 12-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

So is it something i should stop fretting about? I deffinately wont use that as my 'comfortable riding position' lol anymore... but so i shouldnt be too woried about it for now? Also, growinseed, I am interested in pulling my tranny plug, but I have never done it before, and frankly, I cant wouldnt know where to find it. Also, what do you mean by look for metal shavings on the magnet? I assume you mean shavings that may have been grinded off correct? Would my best bet be finding an article on replacing your tranny fluid? Thanks for the help, I guess im a newb. lol. Peace.

--Mike
Old 12-17-2002, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

It also killed the engine, which is why all your warning lights came
on and your braking diminished.

~Wade
Old 12-17-2002, 07:48 AM

I agree with wade about the engine stall... If you go a switch your key to on all lights on and brake pedel soft?
Find an article or get a repair manual. If you want specific info and plan on doing much work you self spend the money and get one from Toyota. If not hayne's chiltons will sufice. I'm not too familiar with the newer rigs but... look under the truck for a 21mm bolt on the bottom surface of the tranny, some don't have drain plugs and some will argue not to remove plug because if is easy to cross thread it when your putting it back in but shops can do that also. With out a drain plug you loosen the small bolts around the edge of the pan and let fluid drain off one side. Make sure you have ATF and a new gasket on hand BEFORE you start this rig won't be moving until job is done.My recommendation is don't put a wrench on a nut or botl until you have felt the thread turn AT LEAST once revolution. I find pictures, ask question and read all you can before you start turning wrenchs...
DIY
Nathan
Old 12-17-2002, 10:00 AM

If you want to check the fluid/magnet I would definitely just undo the plug at the rear of the pan and let it drain. As long as you start the plug by hand when you're putting it back in you shouldn't cross-thread it. Taking the pan off is a major PITA and I wouldn't reccomend it unless something is majorly FUBAR'd, but in that case I'd take it to the dealer. If you do drop it you'll need to use gasket maker and then let it dry so it sets.

BTW, the same sort of thing happened to my dad's truck at about 5mph and it needed a new tranny a year or so later.