Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4Runner Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4Runner Dash Removal

Hello All,

Some Nudnyks broke into my SR5 and did a number on my dash (see pic for the horror). I'd like to do the rework myself. I've got the dash apart, but need to remove the actual dash assembly (most of my searches got to instrument panel removal).

Any info on removing the actual dashboard (the whole plastic).

The chumps cut my harnesses, so I need to figure out where they go to and replace them.

Also, I'm wondering if there are any good upgrade suggestions while I have the thing open. I've already done the cupholer mod. Has anyone replaced the climate control panel with a 99 or better? I like the LCD one, but it probably can't be done since the 98 has a mechanical interface. I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks
-Ted
Attached Thumbnails 98 4Runner Dash Removal-dash-daytime.jpg  
Old 08-27-2006, 04:45 PM

heres a link to a fellow that redone his dash.

1998 Toyota 4-Runner Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Blue/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Gray
Ground Brown
Illumination Green
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Black/Red
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+) Pink
Left Front (-) Purple
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Blue
Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Rear Doors
Left Rear (+) Black
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Red
Right Rear (-) White
Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by profuse007
heres a link to a fellow that redone his dash.
Hello,

Thank you for the link -- that guy did a cool job on his dash. However, the guy didnt step through how to remove the dash. I'll try to send him a PM. There are some friction mounts that I need to figure out how to pop, and am afraid of breaking something if I dont do it right.

Cheers
-Ted
Old 08-28-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ted,

look in our tech section and there are at least two writeups on how to remove the dash. i can do it in less than 2 minutes. its that easy.

bob
Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
ted,

look in our tech section and there are at least two writeups on how to remove the dash. i can do it in less than 2 minutes. its that easy.

bob
Hi Bob,

Hope I'm not being too search clumsy, but I had already looked through the tech section. Most of the articles got as far as removing the stereo and instrument panel, which I've already achieved. I couldn't find one that dealt with removing the entire dash assembly.. I need to do it since the thieves tore my stereo out cutting some of the dash mounts in the process.

Thanks
-Ted
Old 08-28-2006, 08:58 AM

ted,

oh my bad, i misunderstood what you meant by dash. hmm...i would go w/ the link above to Tv's thread. if you cant find the info in that thread, contact him directly. in my years here, not many have completely disassembled the dash

as for changing the climate control, no one has done this because of the reasons you mentioned (mechanical vs digital).

btw, did you have a stock or aftermarket stereo in there? it looks like they cut the stereo harness as well as the clock, hazard and defrost wires too. but i see no reason why you have to completely remove the dash.

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 08-28-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 AM

ted,

oh my bad, i misunderstood what you meant by dash. hmm...i would go w/ the link above to Tv's thread. if you cant find the info in that thread, contact him directly. in my years here, not many have completely disassembled the dash

as for changing the climate control, no one has done this because of the reasons you mentioned (mechanical vs digital).

btw, did you have a stock or aftermarket stereo in there? it looks like they cut the stereo harness as well as the clock, hazard and defrost wires too. but i see no reason why you have to completely remove the dash.

bob
Thanks Bob,

I've sent an email to TV. I did have an aftermarket stereo (and MP3 player), but had used adapter connectors so not to have to cut the stock harnesses. Are you suggesting I should just solder on the the connector for the harness? I was going to try and trace the wires to the source and change them out from there. Maybe I am being too ambitious.

Cheers,
-Ted
Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 AM

Ted,

judging by the pic, i think you dont need need to disassemble the dash to accomplish what you need to do. i'd just use the wiring guide that profuse gave you and solder wires from there to your new harness.

bob
Old 08-30-2006, 02:21 PM

Ted,

judging by the pic, i think you dont need need to disassemble the dash to accomplish what you need to do. i'd just use the wiring guide that profuse gave you and solder wires from there to your new harness.

bob
I've decided to follow Bob's advice and not remove the entire dash. It turns out the stereo harness was still in place,but they cut some of the other ones such as the hazard light, and clock harness. The bad news is that there are duplicate wire colors -- lots of greens with white dots on it. If one were lucky, it would mean all these wires are the same (say 12V power, or grounds). But one is not usually that lucky, so I'm wondering how to ascertain what wire goes to which harness?

Regards
-Ted