Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'97 T4R-Manual. Clutch Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 T4R-Manual. Clutch Recommendations?

I was told today I new a new clutch so I started researching what to get. Many posts I've read are at least a couple years old so want to throw this out there...which clutch do I pursue? I do not off-road yet but, would like to at some point. For work, I constantly haul ~ 250 lbs in the rear cargo. I recently installed OME lift kit, 199mm Tundra upgrade and heavier tires so, I am carrying a bit more weight around than a typical OEM 5-SP T4R and am guessing getting a more-beefier clutch over OEM is optimal.

1. I've read that Marlin Crawler's HD is the way to go for the money...but also, heard their HD 1,200ft-lb is not HD at all but same strength as OEM. That was from some old posts so not sure if anything changed since then. Also heard they can be slow to ship and shipping is high but, when the dust settles at least you have a good, long-lasting product.

2. Since replacing the clutch, is there anything else I should upgrade while I am in there? I like to capitalize on situations like that whenever I can. I do plan on replacing the OEM w/ Marlin Crawler shift lever ball seats & shift lever socket...haven't seen any other brands out there.

Anyone been running the Marlin Crawler clutch for awhile that can chime-in on their findings?? Other brands or things I should be looking at?? Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you wanna go OEM, get an Aisin clutch. Luk makes a great clutch too.

Never had any experience with Marlin Crawler, but I have never heard anything but good things from them.

Save yourself some money and resurface your flywheel while you have it out, beats having to pay out $100+ for a new one.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM

go marlin and you wont be disappointed
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

I have gone with the Luk clutch I have one in my 87 4Runner and one in my Tacoma and one waiting to go in my 7MGTE swap truck.

As Cheap as fly wheels have become I just put a new one in as I have yet to find anyone in this area that can turn them in a timely matter.

Since I like to have the clutch in and out in a day after rounding up some help because I know if it does not go back in it could sit for years.

I have one on jack stands I would bet for 5 years waiting to put the transmission back in. Other more important things just keep coming up.

But I must say working 12 hour days makes it rough to get anything done.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 8sm
We have run the Marlin Crawler HD for several months with no problems. We have not noticed any difference over OEM. Our typical use has been 80% road with 20% moderate high desert trail off road use in mud, snow and some rock. There are many options out there, our decision to run this clutch was based on Marlin reputation and has more than met our needs. Perhaps others who rock crawl frequently may chime in with their results.

Hope this helps........Regards 8sm
Is MC's "HD" REALLY, HD or is that just what they are calling them? I have not found specs yet on OEM to clarify if MC's 1,200lbs is actually a beefier, 30% improvement over OEM or not. In the past, it was said that OEM is 1,200lbs too, so hoping to solve the mystery before buying "HD" for nothing. If someone has a link/citation to OEM specs so I (and others) can compare, it'd be greatly appreciated...
Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 PM

I bought the 1,200lbs clutch from Marlin Crawler (also put in their transmission). I was told by a Marlin Crawler employee to replace my fly wheel if i was getting the clutch and transmission replaced. Not sure how necessary it was, but i went ahead and got one. Marlin Crawlers shipping was fantastic. I got all my parts (see pic) within the 6 days they said i would. All the parts are getting put in tomorrow by the shop, so i can let ya know how it is in a couple months.

Last edited by Diablo22RE; 12-13-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 8sm
Like I said I have not noticed a differences over the OEM clutch we replaced. My son, a toyota tech for a number of years, drives the truck more than I do, he also mentioned the MC clutch pressure did not appear different from the OEM clutch. IMO, I'm not sure if the one would really notice a 30% improvement.
When I asked Marlin Crawler what the stock clutch was, they said it was 900lbs. Now if this is true or not, I can't tell you.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 8sm
Like I said I have not noticed a differences over the OEM clutch we replaced. My son, a toyota tech for a number of years, drives the truck more than I do, he also mentioned the MC clutch pressure did not appear different from the OEM clutch. IMO, I'm not sure if the one would really notice a 30% improvement.
Does your son know for sure whether OEM is 900lbs? I have not been able to confirm that statement right/wrong yet.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Diablo22RE
I bought the 1,200lbs clutch from Marlin Crawler (also put in their transmission). I was told by a Marlin Crawler employee to replace my fly wheel if i was getting the clutch and transmission replaced. Not sure how necessary it was, but i went ahead and got one. Marlin Crawlers shipping was fantastic. I got all my parts (see pic) within the 6 days they said i would. All the parts are getting put in tomorrow by the shop, so i can let ya know how it is in a couple months.

How many miles on your Taco and, what did the mechanic say about the condition of your flywheel? Good/bad, only needed resurfacing, etc.?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I picked up an Aisin clutch kit from Wabfab. My left knee threatened to move out if I went any stiffer on the clutch pedal. Had the flywheel turned for $45. Everything works smoothly.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 8sm
JD,

The clutch foot pressure was exactly the same as the OEM clutch we replaced. In other words, it was not a heavy push to engage. He had change out a few clutches while he WAS a tech. Having said that I'll check with him, he may recalls the OEM lbs.

As already mention by a few here on the board, you can not go wrong with MC clutch, new flywheel and price, we are very happy. If you feel the need go with the heavier clutch/puck set up should your off road use warrants it, do it. Your left leg will get a good work out. lol
I agree that it sounds like MC sells a gr8 product. My reason for trying to confirm OEM poundage is because this came out of nowhere & my $$'s already super tight...I can see investing the extra $$ for MC "HD" if truly getting a stronger kit that presumably would last longer but, if MC/OEM is really the same poundage (per old posts), then perhaps it's money better-spent going w/the less-expensive OEM kit. Just trying to make the best, informed decision.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Wanted to follow-up. I spoke w/Chris @ Aisin/CA. OE is ~ 900lbs. He was very familiar on how they update their kits for MC (and knew Marlin personally) and said they work great for what they are built for (crawling). But, since I am not an off-roader and travel 30k+mi/yr constantly hauling 200-300+ lbs for work, Chris said I should see longer longevity from OE kit...MC would work better in the beginning but, over time with the higher poundage/friction, MC will fade sooner in the long-run. So, think I will opt for saving the $100+ and go w/ OEM (ensuring it's their newer DVR Technology, not DST Type). Oh, and not sure if this was already common knowledge or not but something I found interesting...all the Aisin clutch kits they sell @ Toyota stealerships (and this is ONLY Toyota dealerships) are remanufactured, NOT new!

Last edited by JamesDINAN; 12-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by JamesDINAN
How many miles on your Taco and, what did the mechanic say about the condition of your flywheel? Good/bad, only needed resurfacing, etc.?
133,000 miles. I haven't picked my truck up yet (should be ready in a couple hours), so i'm not sure what condition my flywheel was in. I bought a new flywheel cause if i'm spending the money on a new trans and clutch, i might as well.

Last edited by Diablo22RE; 12-14-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 AM

i have a 3rz.... i put aisin clutch kit in ($190 shipped) with new autozone flywheel($60). and its plenty strong and clutch petal feels GREAT +1 for oem. 800 miles on it and i love it, no more shaking my teeth out

dont know what brand was put on there before, no markings at all. but it must have had only a few thousand miles on it and was warped badly and had heat spots
Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 PM

I can notice a difference from my stock clutch and Marlin Crawlers 1,200lbs Clutch. But it's not a huge one.

Last edited by Diablo22RE; 12-19-2011 at 08:57 AM.