Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

91' V6 4Runner - No spark at all?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post MUST SEE UPDATE W/PICS 91' V6 4Runner - No spark at all?

Ive never posted here, but sure have read alot. I was hoping one of you "Yota Techs" could help me out.
My wife was driving my beloved 4Run today, when (she says) it started making a squeaking noise (? - wifes words - ?), then it just died. It will crank, but wont start. Its got plenty of gas (she had just filled it up) When she called me (crying), the first thing I asked her was what the temp gauge read - she describes the needle as normal. Thank god she didnt overheat it! (my new Toyota "gift" motor has under 30K!)
So i go to check it out. First thing i checked was all the fuses - all good. Then i check for loose plug/coil wires, missing or loose vac lines - all good. Then i pulled the coil wire from the distrib cap, and hold it 1/8" away from a couple of "metal objects", and had her crank it - nothing - no spark, no shock - nothing. I should see spark (or get a shock) when doing this correct? Anyone have any suggestions, comments?
Bad ign coil maybe?
I have a Toyota manual on CD, so ill try and trouble-shoot with that, but was hoping this was a common thing that others have come across.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Later, Brian

P.S. - Anyone here from the Sarasota, Tampa Fla. area?

Last edited by sarasota4runner; 09-14-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarasota4runner
Ive never posted here, but sure have read alot. I was hoping one of you "Yota Techs" could help me out.
My wife was driving my beloved 4Run today, when (she says) it started making a squeaking noise (? - wifes words - ?), then it just died. It will crank, but wont start. Its got plenty of gas (she had just filled it up) When she called me (crying), the first thing I asked her was what the temp gauge read - she describes the needle as normal. Thank god she didnt overheat it! (my new Toyota "gift" motor has under 30K!)
So i go to check it out. First thing i checked was all the fuses - all good. Then i check for loose plug/coil wires, missing or loose vac lines - all good. Then i pulled the coil wire from the distrib cap, and hold it 1/8" away from a couple of "metal objects", and had her crank it - nothing - no spark, no shock - nothing. I should see spark (or get a shock) when doing this correct? Anyone have any suggestions, comments?
Bad ign coil maybe?
I have a Toyota manual on CD, so ill try and trouble-shoot with that, but was hoping this was a common thing that others have come across.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Later, Brian

P.S. - Anyone here from the Sarasota, Tampa Fla. area?
Its either your Ignitor or coil itself!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by nunsa
Its either your Ignitor or coil itself!
couldnt it also be the coil wire?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:13 AM

It could be many other things. You should use a systematic approach from start to finish if you want it fixed right. I would get a DVOM to start testing components. That squeaking noise you speak of would also worry me. Did something grenade inside the distributor?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:06 PM

Before spending 300 bucks on a new ignitor, try replacing the distributor cap. Mine was bad and stopped running dead in traffic. I replace a lot of stuff including the fuel filter with my girlfriend and her friend asking me what was taking soooo long. If i wasn't under the truck with fuel running down my arms..... But I digress. The distributor cap can go bad and the thing won't run or throw a spark. Change the rotor at the same time. iended up spending 400 bucks before i found out it was a 12 dollar part. Just an opinion though. Good luck with it.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Babypig
Before spending 300 bucks on a new ignitor, try replacing the distributor cap. Mine was bad and stopped running dead in traffic. I replace a lot of stuff including the fuel filter with my girlfriend and her friend asking me what was taking soooo long. If i wasn't under the truck with fuel running down my arms..... But I digress. The distributor cap can go bad and the thing won't run or throw a spark. Change the rotor at the same time. iended up spending 400 bucks before i found out it was a 12 dollar part. Just an opinion though. Good luck with it.
And also while you have the distributor cap off check to see if the rotor is turning when you crank it, if not your timing belt has probably snapped. No damage to the engine if it has, but they stop running real quick.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:16 PM

It appears to be the ignitor. I ran thru ALL of the diagnostic possibilities spelled out in the service manual CD (that thing is really nice btw, get one if you dont have one already). Everything else checks out. I ordered a new ignitor from "partsamerica.com" today ($185 w/shipping), will have it tommorrow. As for the "squeaky" noise, i dont know, probably the air whistling thru my wifes head

Later, thanks for the help, replies amd PM's offering parts (i had to go with a brand new one, for peice-o-mind)

Brian - Rusty in Sarasota.

PS - anyone in South West Florida, PM or email me - lets go wheelin, i just got a new tow strap (when my wife and i towed it home), new BFG copy mud terrains, and finally installed my mile marker hubs (to eliminate that stupid ADD system) I need my off road/trailride fix!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:12 PM

UPDATE TO: "91 V6 4Runner - No spark at all?

Well, i got the new ignitor, put it in, still nothing.
The ONE THING i didnt check, (and someone here even told me to) is the rotor spinning when i crank it.
Its not
I guess i didnt check it because the motor has less than 20k miles on it! (V06 recall - new longblock) When the the dealership did the recall, i had them replace the timing belt, so i figured no way.
Yup, pulled the cap, and no rotor movement.
I called the dealership, and Toyota of America - 1 year, 12k miles.
All this praise ive been giving Toyota...jinxed myself.
Guess that "squeaking" noise my wife talked about wasnt the air whistling thru her head after all (sound of a timing belt failing!)

So, any tips on timing belt replacement before i tear into it?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:35 PM

MUST SEE UPDATE W/PIC - 91' V6 4Run - No spark....

Would ya take a fricken look at this!
After i got the top plastic cover off, and saw the timing belt intact, i pulled the distributor.
All i can think of is with all the miles on the truck, this must be the orig distributor, so the bearings in the housing seized ("squeaky noise"), then the cam chewed the teeth off.
Its missing 2 teeth, and i can see them both (whole peices) down in the hole (see pic in next reply)
From what i can see, the cam seems to be ok.
Anyone ever see this? any suggestions/thoughts????
Anyone have a distributor for sale???
Attached Thumbnails 91' V6 4Runner - No spark at all?-dist_1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2004, 04:36 PM

another pic.
Attached Thumbnails 91' V6 4Runner - No spark at all?-dist_2.jpg  
Old 09-14-2004, 04:37 PM

one more.
Attached Thumbnails 91' V6 4Runner - No spark at all?-dist_3.jpg  
Old 09-14-2004, 09:12 PM

I would verify the cam teeth are still intact by turning the engine over slowly and inspecting it all the way around. Looks like the engine didn't get it's regular oil changes. I'd guess the distributor seized due to lack of oil.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM

90 4runner no spark from the coil

i have my 1990 4runner, my wife was driving and it died. cranked and cranked and finally started, got about a half block down the road and did the same. another block and it died and will not start again. i checked for spark all the way to the coil, put a new coil in, still nothing. got a used ignitor, still nothing. what do i do now? what could have caused this?