Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5vzfe Turbo Kit Interest??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5vzfe Turbo Kit Interest??

Hey everyone,

Here at www.arizonadynochip.com we just got an 03 Tacoma shop truck, and well we are very disappointed with the lack of power.

After talking with the local dealership parts counter, they advised the TRD superchargers are on galatic back order due to a fuel delivery issue.

So we were thinking of producing a turbo charger kit to make up for the lack of power. I can almost promise we can make more power and torque than the TRD super charger:

3.4L Supercharger, 5VZFE

HP & TORQUE GAIN
• Peak to peak gain: + 64 HP (34%)
• Best gain: 75 HP @ 5,200 RPM (43%)
• Peak to peak gain: + 50 lb-ft torque (22%)
• Best gain: 77 lb-ft torque (43%)
• The TRD supercharged 3.4L engine produces as much torque at 1,800 RPM as the normally aspirated engine does at its torque peak.

So my question to the all fo you is: If we were to produce such a kit, would any of you be interested?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:11 PM
lee
Contributing Member

with proper testing & documentation, im sure many people here would be interested.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
If it would run on regular gas w/o fuel, timing and tranny mods, that would be a big plus. My SC is coming off next weekend for those reasons, as well as cash for buying a house!
Old 10-01-2004, 01:46 PM

Now producing one for the 3.0 motor (3VZE) would be verrrrrrrry interesssssting
Old 10-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

I would agree with rw in that if it didn't require tons of extra work, I would be interested as well.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Personally I'm sticking to N/A mods cause I don't wanna pay extra for premium gas, but it would be cool to see, a lot more tunable. Gadget would probably be interested. One thing that would make or break it is lag time, but as long as the turbo is sized properly that shouldn't be an issue
Old 10-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Just needs to spool up quickly enough so that when the truck shifts into second gear, there isn't a noticable drop in power. First gear is low and tourquey enough to overcome turbo-lag.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:21 PM

id be interested.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

I would be very insterested in a kit, although unlike everyone else, I would want fuel mods and other things to be included in the package cost. If I go turbo I dont want a bottom of the mill turbo creating only marginal gains, I want power out the waaaazooo! Pricing is key and I would also want it to have a FMIC.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

When you figure out how and where to mount a turbo in that engine bay, please let me know. And no, mounting the turbo at the crossover collector (see low) does not count. Therefore, you will need to fab up some new manifolds at least and that means a really fun install...

Not trying to discourage you, but please show us the blue prints before you get going on this and maybe we can help you with some of the design aspects.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

YEAH and POP UP a blow-off valve otherwise i wont be a happy camper!
Old 10-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
When you figure out how and where to mount a turbo in that engine bay, please let me know. And no, mounting the turbo at the crossover collector (see low) does not count. Therefore, you will need to fab up some new manifolds at least and that means a really fun install...

Not trying to discourage you, but please show us the blue prints before you get going on this and maybe we can help you with some of the design aspects.
As Christian mentioned, there is a kit already which places the turbo under the vehicle but this is very bad design practice. Quite a few people on the board are very knowledgeable about designing this type of stuff (not saying I am one of them) so when you get serious about it you might just want to let us see the design before you make it so we can help you overcome the flaws in previous turbo kits.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:12 AM
AUJWE

You would probably have a lot of folks interested b/c of all the 'extra' stuff the TRD S/C requires to meet its full potential. Oh yeah and for it not to ping your motor to death.

You might want to consider offering different levels of a trubo kit. Depending on what other mods folks are willing to make to their trucks(tranny, etc.).

Good luck with everything though. I will definitely stay tuned.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:55 AM

I would be interested. I do also agree with every one else about the fuel mods and what not.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am 100% with dBMikeMan. If I got a turbo, I want power out the YING YANG. Gimme intercooled, stand alone fuel management, new feul pump, new injectors, piggy back system (smt 6/smt 7), exhuast, turbo headers, turbo timer, pyrometer, air fuel mixture gauge, and some cuepons for the nearest dyno shop for dyno tuning...

Ok maybe the cuepons are asking a bit much....LOL
Old 10-03-2004, 05:29 PM

I would definetly be interested.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:09 PM

So far the kit would include turbo, HPC coated stainless headers/turbo manifold, either air/air or air/water intercooler + piping, waste gate, BOV, MBC, injectors and some sort of fuel management system plus all the odds and ends to install it. The kit would bolt up to the stock Cat location so the customer has a choice of cat back systems.

I am still looking at fuel/engine management. I am pushing our Ford chip guys to hurry and release the GM and Foreign ECU chips or reprogrammers.

I haven’t put a hard price list together, but once that happens, if TRD fixes the SC issues and releases it I may do both for a side-by-side comparison, again if there is enough interest.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:12 PM

I talked with the shop owner and fabricator regarding C.A.R.B. and 50 state legal. They said it cost over $5k each to get that cert and its just not worth it. We have never gotten those certs, everything we build is "off road use only" clause.

Before we get started on the supposed project, I will be picking up 2 spare 3.4L motors. One with Auto trans and the other Man Trans. We will tear one motor down completely to use for a moch up and to build the jigs. Plus it give us a chance to see what the internals are made of and get idea of its limitations.

Normally what we do is build the prototype and bolt it on the everyday ride for 6+ months, testing and tuning. In the meantime we would build up one the spare motors with all the goodies to make it a screamer, you know forged everything, studs ect. Once we get quite a bit of miles on the prototype we turn it up till it pops to determine the threshold.

Its easy for us to have $20k-$30k wrapped up in the kit before we ever produce a single one for market.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:14 PM

Sorry I havent posted early, I was waiting for an email notification, which was turned off.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by horshack
The kit would bolt up to the stock Cat location so the customer has a choice of cat back systems.
Are you saying that the turbo would be mounted under the vehicle?

Also, you are going to need a VB upgrade for the Auto trans, or kiss it good-bye after a couple hard 1-2 shifts.

Quick Reply: 5vzfe Turbo Kit Interest??