Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner Stalling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner Stalling Problems

Newbie question here. I searched the Forums, but not see a thread on this.

This has happened a few times. After hard acceleration my 4Runner would just die. I would coast to a stop and it would start right back up. It happed 4 times to me the other day on my way home from work. I have noticed that at idle sometimes the 4Runner shakes a little, it does not seem normal.

I purchased a Fuel Filter and installed it but it kept leaking. I tried 2 of them. I could blow thru the old one so I put it back on. The old one did not leak.

Is it possible that the Fuel Pump is going bad? Are they intermittent when they start to go bad. The 4Runner has been running fine the last few days.

Does anyone have a link to some instructions on installing a new Fuel Pump. I have a 1998 4runner. I have heard that some 4Runners have an access panel under the back seats that allows access to the Fuel Pump without dropping the Gas Tank.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM

I had a similar problem. Anytime I let off the gas after hard acceleration I would notice the engine idle rough and then stall out, but it would start up first try and then run normally. I tried cleaning the MAF but nothing changed. Some research on the web lead me to try cleaning my IAC valve. I've only seen it stall once a while ago, but it hasn't stalled since the beginning of the year.

Here's a post for you to reference:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/anyone-do-writeup-cleaning-iac-idle-air-control-valve-82765/
Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech ... whens that last time its had a tune up also try a can a seafoam
Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the replies, but pardon my ignorance. What is a MAF and what is a can of seafoam? I have not had a tuneup done in a long time. I had the sparkplugs changed about 20K ago and I change the oil regularly. What should be done on a tune up, I have about 135K miles. Thanks for the input!!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:02 AM

MAF stands for Mass Air Flow sensor. It is located right before the box to your air filter. You cant miss it, it has a set of 5 or 6 wires connected to it and is screwed in to the intake tube. As for seafoam, is it a fuel/oil additive that can be purchased at any of your vehicle parts stores, cept for stealerships. I'm almost 100% possitive that is it an oil addidtive aswell, but before you do anything read the instructions. Although Elton I think means to put it in your fuel. Cleans out your fuel pump and injectors, can never hurt to try it out, it may fix your problem.

I also had a similar problem, never got it to staul though. Check all your spark plugs to see if any of them have cracked. And check your Wires for Arcing. Those were the 2 problems I had when I was getting a horrid idle.

Last edited by Stevo3; 09-12-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For stalling you should definately go through a typical tuneup to make sure all parts are in good working order (basic 30k mile service).

Follow all 5 pages:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...30k/index.html

If you still have stalling, you might look into cleaning the IAC (as was mentioned), check wire resistances, fuel pressures, etc.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:43 PM

Thanks for all the info, looks like I got some work to do!!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

also you can use the seafoam for the engine via a vacuum line i would start with a basic tune up and only use denso or ngk stuff... a set of ngk wires from www.sparkplugs.com runs about 37 bucks shipped
Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM

If it were a problem related to a tuneup ( plugs and wires ), sensors, etc.,would it be intermittent? The problem seems to come and go.

Thanks to everone for your input, this Forum is great!!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 06:22 PM

Well I replaced the Fuel Filter this afternoon and took the beast for a ride. Seemed like it was doing a little better. Bought a can of Seafoam and threw it in the gas tank. Took it for a ride to get some gas. Put the pedal to the floor and on decel it died on me again. Same thing. It would just die. It would start back up, but if I let off the throttle, it would just die. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and the same thing. Limped it back home and it started running fine again.

Tomorrow, clean MAF and TB, check plugs and wires. Replace PCV valve.

Any other ideas from anybody??

Thanks for all of the help!!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by igogusto
Well I replaced the Fuel Filter this afternoon and took the beast for a ride. Seemed like it was doing a little better. Bought a can of Seafoam and threw it in the gas tank. Took it for a ride to get some gas. Put the pedal to the floor and on decel it died on me again. Same thing. It would just die. It would start back up, but if I let off the throttle, it would just die. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and the same thing. Limped it back home and it started running fine again.

Tomorrow, clean MAF and TB, check plugs and wires. Replace PCV valve.

Any other ideas from anybody??

Thanks for all of the help!!!!

igogusto,

ok, ive been watching your posting and refraining from pulling the search (and read) card out on you, but now i gotta stop you.

if you took the time to read all of the threads related to seafoam, you would know not to change your fuel filter and then pouring seafoam in there afterwards. why? because all the crap will collect in the fuel filter...which might be part of your problem.

dont get all sensitive here when i say this: you need to do more research and reading than working on your truck. right now, you are taking bits and pieces of advice, but they are not cohesive and in any logical order.

find the toyota maintenance search engine, plug in your vehicle's info, and run down the list of what you need to do. if you have any questions about certain procedures, check the tech forum and then search the forum. most likely, its probably been covered so ask follow up questions then.

bob
Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 PM

Bob,

I have been reading post after post. I read the whole 18 pages on Seafoam. I even posted a thread on whether or not to add it after the installation of the new fuel filter. Everyone on the post said to add it after the new fuel filter install. I had the same problem with the old filter before I added the Seafoam.

I searched the entire Forum before making my first post, and I did not see any post where someone had a similar problem.

I was just taking advice from some of the members, as I thought that they might have seen this problem before. I thought that it might be something easy that I may have over looked. I wanted to look at all of my options before I replace the fuel pump, which I believe to be the source of the problem.

I am not offended by you telling me I need to search more. That is why I came here in the first place. A friend told me to check out this site, as he felt the people here were the most knowledgable and gave the best advice.

Pardon my ignorance, but where can I find the toyota maintenance search engine?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by igogusto
Bob,

I have been reading post after post. I read the whole 18 pages on Seafoam. I even posted a thread on whether or not to add it after the installation of the new fuel filter. Everyone on the post said to add it after the new fuel filter install. I had the same problem with the old filter before I added the Seafoam.

I searched the entire Forum before making my first post, and I did not see any post where someone had a similar problem.

I was just taking advice from some of the members, as I thought that they might have seen this problem before. I thought that it might be something easy that I may have over looked. I wanted to look at all of my options before I replace the fuel pump, which I believe to be the source of the problem.

I am not offended by you telling me I need to search more. That is why I came here in the first place. A friend told me to check out this site, as he felt the people here were the most knowledgable and gave the best advice.

Pardon my ignorance, but where can I find the toyota maintenance search engine?

Thanks again for all of your help!

who (or what people) said change the fuel filter and put seafoam afterwards? if you point that out to me, i will delete that. i have not or ever remember someone writing that the whole point of using seafoam is to loosen the carbon deposits whever you use it. therefore, there is no point in installing a brand new anything (plug, filter, etc) only to have it fouled up w/ carbon.

re "toyota maintenance search engine", plug that into the search box it will come up. use that list and work from there. ill be happy to help you as best as i can

bob
Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 PM

It somehow got posted in the Newbie Forum, so please delete it, if the info is incorrect.

I will do the search tomorrow before I try anything else.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 PM

Checked the "toyota maintenance search engine" and did find anything that was not in the manual to check.

Replaced the PCV Valve, cleaned the MAF and TB. The TB was really dirty, I have never cleaned it since I owned the 4Runner. The MAF was not very dirty, but I cleaned it anyway. I checked all of the hoses for cracks and everything looked fine.

After cleaning the TB I took the Beast for a ride, it immediately threw a CEL. I cleared the CEL and took it for another ride. The CEL never came back.

The worst part is that the stalling problem still exists. I guess that I will have to change the plugs and possibly the wires to see if that helps. I only have about 15K on the plugs.

If the engine is not giving a CEL, is there a way to check the computer and see what might be causing my stalling problem?

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Since my wife has a 97 4Runner, working on mine will help when we need to do the same to hers!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

what type of plugs and wires do you use
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 PM

Sumitomo plug wires. I am not sure what the "stealership" put in for plugs when I last had it serviced. Why do you ask?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

just wondering if theres problem with the wires or plugs ..... check ur wires and make sure they dont have a year stamp on them
Old 09-17-2006, 01:48 PM

Yeah I checked that, and it scared me, there is a year stamp of 1997. How could that be, the 4Runner is a 1998. I thought that the "stealership" said that they replaced them when they did the plugs! I will have to check my receipt!!!!

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

how many miles are on ur 4runner ... i had 132k on my stock wires it still was runing great i thought hmm time for a tuneup

Last edited by Elton; 09-17-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 4Runner Stalling Problems