Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner Possible Slip Yoke Binding.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner Possible Slip Yoke Binding.

I did a little homework on this problem, but now need some confirmation to make sure I’m attacking this problem right.

My 2001 4Runner 4x4 with automatic transmission “klunks” or “thumps” when I stop. It’s not a brake issue, it feels like a driveshaft issue. When I stop it feels like the drive shaft has bumped into the rear of the car and then when I go again it feels like it’s slipping back into place and drives just fine. It's almost the feeling of being rear-ended by someone who was going very, very slow.

A search showed that another member had the same problem: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=thump

I have found the following answers to the problem. I’m not mechanical enough to know if they are contradictory or complimentary:

1. “the noise is created from reverse pressure on the driveshaft (caused by breaking) which causes the driveshaft to bind slightly, and when you give it gas it then corrects itself, resulting in the "clunking" noise.”

2. The slip yoke is binding on the transmission output shaft.

Solutions I’ve reard:

1. there has been a "campaign" (recall) that involves a replacement driveshaft, but the issue persists. he said that toyota is working on a 2nd replacement, and will be another "campaign"

2. Lube the driveshaft grease fittings

3. Do nothing as (someone else’s quote): “Toyota has told me that the issues arenormal operating characteristics" and will not make any attempt to correct the problems”

My questions:

-Does anyone know if there is any truth to the statement that Toyota has or will issue a campaign/recall for this issue?

-Is the best thing to do to lube the driveshaft (http://www.4runners.org/articles/zerk/)? And will this cure the problem or it’s a temporary fix?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the time that noise is from a lack of grease in the driveshaft slip joint which binds and releases causing the "clunk" you mentioned. Easy to lube and it will either confirm the problem or point to somewhere else (like a u-joint). Make sure to hit all the zerk fittings on both the front and rear driveshafts (u-joints, slip joints, etc).

Either have someone else do it or do it yourself:
http://www.4runners.org/articles/zerk

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-16-2006 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:14 AM

I have this problem also, I did lube the driveshaft and it has helped. I gave the slip joint 2-3 pumps from the grease gun, but it seems maybe that wasn't enough. How much grease to put in there? Can you see it come out some where like the u-joints? Thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

No, you probably did not grease it enough, if you watch closely while you grease it you can see the slip yoke start to get pushed out by the grease. Once you see this happening stop and drive the truck around the block, this will eliminate any air pockets, then give the truck a couple more pumps. I over greased my front driveshaft once and it caused transmission shifter(auto) binding...apparently the seals are good enough to keep grease under pressure. If that happens simply remove the zerk and the grease will ooze out til it's happy with the amount in there.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by blazingram
I have this problem also, I did lube the driveshaft and it has helped. I gave the slip joint 2-3 pumps from the grease gun, but it seems maybe that wasn't enough. How much grease to put in there? Can you see it come out some where like the u-joints? Thanks
Until you will see driveshaft start moving.
I am doing it about every 6 month and it does help a lot!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the replies, when I first test drove my 4runner I didn't notice it. Then after a few miles I was kicking myself thinking I just got a truck with tranny problems. That is until I came to YT!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by blazingram
Thanks for the replies, when I first test drove my 4runner I didn't notice it. Then after a few miles I was kicking myself thinking I just got a truck with tranny problems. That is until I came to YT!
I am in the exact same boat! Mine started doing it a week ago, which is close to a month after I bought it. It test drove perfect and then the "thumps" start....

So...I greased up the drive shaft and drove it around a bit tonight and that seems to have helped and almost elimintated the problem!!

I also changed the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid, however....

I absolutely could not get the 24mm bolt off the rear differential. I soaked that thing in wd40 for quite a while, dattled it for almost an hour (not even a budge). Soaked it some more, took a break and put in about another hour. Still nothing. I've very glad I tried the fill bolt before the drain bolt or else I would have been in bad shape. But now the bolt is in pretty bad shape.

My friend said I'm going to have to get a professional to weld something on there in order to have something to grab onto to break that bolt free. Is this how it should be done? Other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:00 PM

greasing helps but it comes back after a few months...
Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
greasing helps but it comes back after a few months...
Didn't even last a few months for me. It's doing it agian already. Not as bad and not as frequent.

Would you guys advise hitting it with a little more grease?

Is the solution to replace parts? Or will the replacement parts have the same problem?

Is this causing any permanant damage?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rdiggidy
Didn't even last a few months for me. It's doing it agian already. Not as bad and not as frequent.

Would you guys advise hitting it with a little more grease?

Is the solution to replace parts? Or will the replacement parts have the same problem?

Is this causing any permanant damage?
When you put grease in the slip joint make sure to keep pumping the grease gun until you see the slip joint move at least 3 times (it will start to expand due to the grease pressure inside). Same goes with the U-joints, fill them until grease come out the boots and wipe off the excess. Once that happens it should not be sticking......you can jump on the rear bumber to cycle the grease in there. It still seems like people aren't putting enough grease in there. It might be worn parts but grease is cheap so keep those joints lubed as best you can.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Bob stated in his write-up that pre-2000 3rd gen. 4Runners require two different lubes and the 2000-2002's can use the same lube. Can someone confirm this for me? I looked in the owners manual but saw no mention of it. If the '00 only needs one lube for all, than which lube it recommended. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Bob stated in his write-up that pre-2000 3rd gen. 4Runners require two different lubes and the 2000-2002's can use the same lube. Can someone confirm this for me? I looked in the owners manual but saw no mention of it. If the '00 only needs one lube for all, than which lube it recommended. Thanks in advance.
I use one multi purpose grease for all (usually the castrol synthetic grease you get at Walmart does fine).
Most important thing is to keep it lubed often (at least once a year).