Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:33 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

4Runner Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 AM
funglenn

4Runner Heated Mirrors

Has anyone ever seen heated side mirrors for sale as an aftermarket option? I know performance products sells them for Sequoias and Landcruisers, but not 4runners.

I know that some 4runner Limiteds came with them, but what about the rest of us?

Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your '01 SR5 should have come with heated mirrors. I "think" that they became standard on SR5's in '99. I "know" that my '00 SR5 has them.
Mike

edited to add: They come on when you turn on the rear defogger.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:56 AM

I have 2001 4Runner SR5 and mine came with heated mirrors from the factory. Not that I use that option too often here in AZ, but still...

-- Andrey
Old 02-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Try pressing the rear defog button
Old 02-04-2004, 12:28 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit the heated mirrors to a 1998 SR5? I could really use this feature up here in Minneapolis, MN.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jalaber
Try pressing the rear defog button
What he said.

You must have them and didn't know it. My '99 SR5 has them but I didn't know it until a couple years ago.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:58 PM
funglenn

Again, I meant aftermarket HEATED SIDE mirrors. As I stated, yes Limiteds did come with them.

Jalaber do you mean that they turn on with the rear defroster button?

I know I do not have them because most heated side mirrors have a little graphic on them denoting the fact they have defrosters. Plus I have an SR5, since when do they come with all the trimmings?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:06 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Funglenn,

I too have an SR5 and mine came with the heated mirrors. Yes, just press the rear Defrost switch as said before and the side mirrors will heat up.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by funglenn
I know I do not have them because most heated side mirrors have a little graphic on them denoting the fact they have defrosters.
My mirrors do not have any specific graphic. They just get hot when I turn on rear defroster.

-- Andrey
Old 02-04-2004, 01:08 PM

Mine came with it from the factory, I think yours came with it too.

Jalaber do you mean that they turn on with the rear defroster button?

Yes and yes.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:31 PM
funglenn

Mine do not get hot. Do all SR5s have heated mirrors? I thought only the limiteds had it.

Usually heated side mirrors have an icon in the bottom corner that looks like the icon on the rear defrost button (I know others besides toyota have this, I do not know about toyotas)

I know I do not since I have problems with them when it snows and the rear defroster is usually on to keep my back window clear.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Starting in 1999 SR5's got the heated side mirrors as standard equipment. They are activated by using the rear defroster button.

Check my history page in which the source is Toyota..."SR5 grades now feature as standard heated outside mirrors, cruise control and , built-in map lights in the overhead console ."

Probably you never noticed the feature since you were figuring you didnt have it. Or Could it be possible your rig was in an accident and someone replaced the mirrors w/ non heated ones?

Last edited by jalaber; 02-04-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:32 PM

do you think you could retrofit, heated side mirrors on a 2nd gen? any mirrors, not just new 4runner ones
Old 02-04-2004, 05:58 PM

Perhaps the mirrors run on a different fuse? Mine do not have any special markings but the certainly do get hot when the defogger button is hit.
Mike
Old 02-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funglenn, if you don't have them, there's an outside chance that you have a grey market 4Runner imported from Guam or Puerto Rico. I don't recall any Toyota with heated mirrors that had an icon.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:53 AM
CTB

Originally posted by Eric
do you think you could retrofit, heated side mirrors on a 2nd gen? any mirrors, not just new 4runner ones
I think someone looked into this at one point, although it was to retrofit them onto an earlier model 3rd Gen. The figured that it was more trouble than it was worth - ie wiring, controls, etc.

I would think retrofitting them to a 2nd Gen would be even worse. I doubt the mirrors mount the same, they are different sizes, and wiring would be a pain I'd imagine.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:01 AM
funglenn

Originally posted by funglenn
Mine do not get hot. Do all SR5s have heated mirrors? I thought only the limiteds had it.

Usually heated side mirrors have an icon in the bottom corner that looks like the icon on the rear defrost button (I know others besides toyota have this, I do not know about toyotas)

I know I do not since I have problems with them when it snows and the rear defroster is usually on to keep my back window clear.
I bought by truck brand new in San Antonio, TX. It has the gulf toyota paperwork and stickers on it. I am kind of annoyed since it is now out of warranty. Thanks for the info......

QUESTION: How long does it take for them to get hot?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The heated mirrors didn't come out until 99. I never had a problem with my non heated mirrors yet. Even on my previous Jeep that didn't have them. They never seemed to ice up. Maybe I'm lucky.

I would not advise trying to retrofit the mirrors. First of all even discounted the mirrors are close around $190.00 each. But more prohibitive would be the wiring.

The $190.00 price is for the entire mirror assembly. The assembly comes pre-painted. The glass can be purchased separately, but it differs from year to year and model to model as do the mirror assemblies, which is anther obstacle on retrofitting. Changing the glass only portion of the mirror would not have any relevance in changing the mirror to a heated mirror. The wiring harness for the mirror comes with the mirror assembly. I would advise against trying to put heated mirrors on a vehicle not originally equipped with them, because of the variances in mirror choices from model to model and year to year as well as unknown wiring issues.

The connector for the Heated and Non heated mirrors are definitely different. I looked at the wiring diagrams with a technician and it is not even totally clear what wiring would have to be changed. The heated mirrors work in conjunction with the rear defroster and would have to be tied into its circuit at some point. There are many wiring harnesses that are applicable to different things on each year model. Add in the variance possibilities that may be present in a different year model it is not possible to tell which harness would have to be changed. Not to mention the harnesses are usually fairly expensive.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:14 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i had no idea i had heated mirrors.

awesome!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:11 AM
funglenn

How can I tell if they work? Are they hot to the touch? (not burning I assume), but in 20-32 degrees how easy is it to tell?

Quick Reply: 4Runner Heated Mirrors