95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner/GX470 - nothing but problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4Runner/GX470 - nothing but problems?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...threadid=94758

There are a lot of GX owners that are unphappy with their purchase. The sulfur issue from the new 4runner also exists. This may help out some 4th gen 4runner owners.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got behind a GX the other day on the way home. It's a two lane road through the trees and up a pretty steep grade for about a mile.

I almost got sick from the fumes that thing was putting out. I literally couldn't breathe. It turned off just before my street, and my interior still smelled over a mile later when I got home. When I walked inside, my wife gave me a hug and then a funny look like I had shat in my pants or something - the smell was on my clothes!

I can't believe that Toyota would release a design that did something like that. What a shame - anyone who gets behind one will never want a Toyota or Lexus product...
Old 09-25-2003, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 4Runner/GX470 - nothing but problems?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason B
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...threadid=94758

There are a lot of GX owners that are unphappy with their purchase. The sulfur issue from the new 4runner also exists. This may help out some 4th gen 4runner owners.
[/QUOTE taco litt

pro;;y cause they are made in usa now. same with the taco little things.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

These are still made in Japan
Old 09-25-2003, 10:57 AM

Proud to ba an American I see
Old 09-25-2003, 05:42 PM

Please don't confuse consumer buying habits with patriotism.
We all love our country. That shouldn't come into question because we buy the products available to us.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:27 PM

Obviously I buy imports also. Both my vehicles are Japanese. My comment was directed at the jibe at the American work force, i.e. "pro;;y cause they are made in usa now." I dont feel that American vehicles fall short of imports due to where or whom builds them. I believe that it is design, which is a fault of the American car industry, but it is getting better. I think our workforce is among the most skilled and dedicated in the world. I don't mean to insult or offend anyone, I just tend to speak(and apparently type) before I think. Sorry
Aaron
Old 09-25-2003, 06:46 PM

I have been lurking the boards their for awhile, actually since the start of the GX being sold and the majority of the complaint from owners is the driveline vibration, and several owners have had their GX's bought back.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by AFRunner
Obviously I buy imports also. Both my vehicles are Japanese. My comment was directed at the jibe at the American work force, i.e. "pro;;y cause they are made in usa now." I dont feel that American vehicles fall short of imports due to where or whom builds them. I believe that it is design, which is a fault of the American car industry, but it is getting better. I think our workforce is among the most skilled and dedicated in the world. I don't mean to insult or offend anyone, I just tend to speak(and apparently type) before I think. Sorry
Aaron
I'm very prowd to be an american! We make allot of good things here in America! One we seem to lack in is auto makeing. you ever herd the term "don't buy a car made on a Friday in America '?

It's just an opion and not meant to affend, I have had 4 new toyotas all were built in the us except one a 98 4runner, It by far had the least amount of problems. I havn't had huge problems but little ones.

I think someone already mentioned parts vendors are differnt from Us too japan? So maybe thats where the problem is?

I came to expect along time ago that america makes good stuff, tools, beer, sliders, breast implants and hot girls. But we tend to get lazy when it comes to trucks and cars.

Like I said just a IMO
Old 09-25-2003, 07:11 PM

I was told it does not matter where a Japanese car is made it is the Design and Engineering of the car and the quality the Japanese Manurfacture builds into it but in reality the American Built Japanese vehicles seem to lack minor things compared to the Japanese built Japanese vehicles, bascially their just not the same even though they say they are.

I've experienced both and gotta say I'd rather a JJ vehicle over a AJ vehicle also why my father decided on an ES over a Camry
Old 09-25-2003, 11:21 PM

Question What sulfur smell?

Here's my first post on this. And...well... I smell nothing. I was thinking for those of you who are having sulfur problems - it's either your gas or you must be smoking something.

I use Shell or Exxon/Mobil, and I cannot smell any bad eggs or sulfur coming out of my 03 Sport Ed. V-8 4WD exhaust or the inside in that matter. But I would say a lot of that has to do with the reformulated gas that Californians like me get, and I live in SoCal.

No sulfur problem here, and I've driven 3500 miles now.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

The majority of what you read or hear on these chat lines is negative. I work for an automobile trade association and have access to ungodly amounts of trade journals and figures. The '03, 4th generation 4Runner, is experiencing a sales increase of 42% over the previous model year. 46,000ish 4Runners were sold in '02, this year the number is 79,000ish.

Maybe it is just the new design that is drawing people.

Or, perhaps, it is because the new 4Runner is a bad ass vehicle and Toyota hit a home run with the new design and features.

If this new design, Toyota or Lexus badged, was such a lemon, people would have figured it it by now and the 'subjective' trade rags would have shredded Toyota if they felt it was a rushed or inferior product.

My '03 Runner has had a few hiccups, but overall, it is the best vehicle I have owned. And I get a new car every two-three years.

Last edited by Sac State; 09-26-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sac State
The majority of what you read or hear on these chat lines is negative. I work for an automobile trade association and have access to ungodly amounts of trade journals and figures. The '03, 4th generation 4Runner, is experiencing a sales increase of 42% over the previous model year. 46,000ish 4Runners were sold in '02, this year the number is 79,000ish.

Maybe it is just the new design that is drawing people.

Remember, they made more 4runners in 2003 than any other year, and for 2002 they actually cut back prodution more than any other year if I remember.

Toyota is also ADVERTISING the heck out of the new one! I can't count on one hand how many 3rd gen "commericals" I've seen in the past five years, they don't exist. I'm sure everyone will agree there, they never advertized it.

When I was in time square in NY, they had a tv looping the new 4th gen. 4runner climbing Everest over and over. That had to cost a fortune. Toyota is finally realizing they need to advertise one the best trucks in their history. They are just too late in doing it.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

That was partly because the 4Runner had no competition. Now it seems every auto manufacturer is aiming at the 4Runner bullseye.

Yes, the '03 had a longer production run than past years and I had heard they stopped producing the '02 in the Spring of '02, as opposed to the Fall of '02.

But, CR, MT, R&T, and other consumer review publications have recommended or strongly urge people to consider the 4Runner. Compared to a Chevy XLT Trailblazer, Ford Exploder or Mitsu ??, seems Mitsu is constantly changing their products, there is no comparison.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:19 AM

About Toyota's advertising:
Toyota doesn't follow national advertising models as Lexus or Nissan does, for example. Toyota depends alot more on regional ads- more like the domestic brands.

Jason B:
Of course they are going to do a big ad campaign. It is an all-new model and they want people to know what it is. I know you don't like the 4th 4R but alot do.

I did alot of research before buying mine. I compared it to everything from the Xterra, Murano, Taco, Exploder, Pathy,RX,etc. plus all the research I could find.
EVERY publication gave it a overwhelming positive review. The test drive sold me.

Tell me what other 4x4 suv options are there? 4Runner is the only real game in town. The 4R is also a big success for Toy I think (at least from what I read).

The only place it seems to bring skepticism is with older 4Runner owners.
Partly I can blame this on pride in ownership- (I mean nothing is better than my 3rd gen, right?)
To me, that just shows how strong Toyota's quality and engineering are. I like the fact people are proud of their 1st, 2nd, 3rd gens- it says alot.

I remember when the Xterra was redesigned. Everyone was saying, "It's ok but original is better" Wait till the all-new Xterra comes out in 05. It will be more of the same.

Maybe the 4th is selling well because it's a great suv.

Last edited by FirstToy; 09-27-2003 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Contributing Member

Well I guess I am lucky. My wife has had no problems with her GX. No driveline vibrations and no sulfur smell. The car only has 3k on it so far, only driven back and forth to Law school, so these problems might start to come up once she gets some more highway miles on it but for now it is a standard Yota product...all quality.