Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3RZ Auto to 2TR bell/R150F.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3RZ Auto to 2TR bell/R150F.. please help

I’ve probably spent about 12 hours in the last two days researching transmission and 4WD conversions. I’ve learned a lot, and I’ve got a few more questions until I’m ready to undergo phase #1, collecting parts.

My experience with manual transmissions is limited. I've only rebuilt one in my time and it was a Subaru trans. I'm always trying to learn, though.

I have a 1999 2.7 3RZ 2WD 4Runner, auto. My latest gripe has been my transmission. There’s nothing wrong with it at all, I recently replaced my old transmission with one from a wrecked donor. I’ve got 33” tires, a supercharger, and a heavy foot. My slush box/grandma shifting A340LE just isn’t cutting it anymore. I need more power to make it to the ground, when I want.

Thanks to toritochis on T4R.ORG, who has provided a fantastic write up on a 2WD 3RZ Auto to manual swap, I’m ever more confident in the ability to do it on my own or with friends.
2000 4runner 4cyl. auto to manual transmision swap
As you know, the transmission in his situation is the W59 5-speed manual transmission available in the 1996-2000 2.7 4Runner and 1995.5-2004 2.7 Tacoma. My hours of research has shown that this particular transmission is known to lack strength. With a supercharger that will soon be boosting 8-10PSI, I can’t afford to have a “lesser” transmission.

I found out there's a lot of options for swapping transmissions on the 3RZ. Marlin Crawler's bell housing specifically made to mate the R series transmission (R150/R151 pre 96) that came with spacers to match the longer input shaft of the 96+ R150 has been discontinued. My solution is the 2TR 2.7 bell housing, which the 3RZ to the 1996+ R150 using a 2TR bell does not require any spacers.

The installation should be 100% bolt on. I have checked multiple websites and read multiple conversions using these exact parts and have found that the 1996+ R150 input shaft length is correct for this application. I will then use the rest of the write up that toritochis has written to complete the mechanical portion of the install. I've swapped my auto out before, so the swap will be the easy part.

Here’s where I’ve been getting stuck at, the wiring. I have barely any experience with newer manual transmissions. I would imagine that there would be a reverse light switch and/or a 4wd indicator switch. Each write up I've found completely skips it entirely... with an M/T ECU, the ECT power, the dash illuminated PRND2L, and other misc A/T related functions should just go dead, I'd imagine. I haven’t found a wiring FSM that was earlier than 2002, and that gets fudged by the fact that all 02 4Runners are Automatic, plus there were features like VSC, TRAC, AWD multimode transfer cases, ADD… etc. Without ABS is a far stretch, but if you don’t have ABS, that would be ideal. My trans has a bunch of wires going to it, but I figure there's potential of them all being automatic related.

I've got some other 4Runner buddies online that will hopefully help me with taking a photo of their transmission. Kinda hard to find the criteria for my swap, I need to get a good look underneath a 4Runner, specifically 1996-2000 owners (1999 SR5 preferred), with 4WD, 5-Speed manual, LEVER operated 4WD, and 5VZ-FE.

Questions:
1) I’ve been worried that my speedometer and tachometer will stop working. I do not have ABS in my truck from the factory. Hoping that whatever is used for speed/tach in the auto A340LE will be the same as the 96+ R150, but I'm clueless there. I have read many times on this forum that the ABS speed sensors on each axle provide the speedometer with signal to operate. On a non ABS 4Runner, what provides the speedometer with this signal? I’ve googled and searched, to no avail. I’m hoping that if it is on the transmission, If I change my auto to a manual (especially one of the same vehicle/year), will I be able to literally swap the sensor over or just plug it on in? I would imagine that the V6 trans must have provisions for those who don't have ABS if the sensor is indeed mounted there.

2) With the 2TR bell housing, I won't have a problem getting the R150F to work. However, I have a 2WD, though I have planned on a 4WD conversion. I don’t want multimode, ADD, or whatever fancy bull from the newer 4Runners. If I were to install an R150F 4WD transmission with a simple lever operated stock 4Runner/Tacoma transfer case into my truck, given the proper driveshaft length and transmission mount is already accounted for, will this work? I am under the impression so far that, yes, it should work. I should be able to use the transfer case in 4 Low without a front driveshaft, essentially making the truck into 2 Low (allowing the front output shaft or flange, not sure which our trucks have, to spin freely while allowing the rear wheels to spin without a center differential lock). Please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the transfer case does not have any wires running to it, that it is purely mechanical and works whether or not the car is running. Are my conclusions correct, or will I have to run in 2Hi until the rest of the components on the 4WD spectrum have been installed? The only other way I can think of is a separate harness that simply has all of the connections, that plugs either into the ECU or engine harness.

3) I assume that I can likely just run a 3RZ/W59 clutch. I will probably hit up LC Engineering for a pressure plate/clutch, lightweight flywheel, etc. I guess with a 2TR bell, it would fit just fine. Can anyone confirm? I have heard of many conversions with this trans and motor, so I would imagine the spline is identical.

Hopefully, If all of these questions are easily solved, I may be able to get a V6 4x4 donor for the rest of the swap (Very abundant, easy to find them at auction yards). After all, the only steps after the trans/transfer case go in will be finding a front diff/driveshaft, front axles, spindles, and whatever else misc... wiring (I believe my 4Runner is already prewired, as I have the 4WD module already and all of the 4WD-related fuses are hot)

Please tell me of anything else you know that I might encounter on the way so I don’t end up without my truck for a long time, haha.

To those of you who have taken the time to read this and/or reply, sorry, and thank you. I really appreciate any help from anyone who replies. Gotta get this sunnnovabeech underway.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to a friend and he's going to send me what the transmission wiring consists of:

Clutch pedal (cruise control)
Clutch Start Cancel switch
Reverse Light switch
ECU wiring (pinouts, table required)

He's going to send me pictures, instructions, and an ECU pinout table.

Now, I need to find the wiring for 4WD stuff. Sounds like more ECU wires.

Any help on that would be excellent. Thank you!