Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd gen wheel bearings?

My truck started making a wierd drivetrain noise up front and I wondered if anyone has had to replace the front wheel bearings on their truck?

.....and if so, what mileage?
Old 02-14-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I removed my spindles and tried to find a clamp big enough for the hub. I tried 4 race shops and machine shops and no on could do it for me. I ended up having the stealership do the them. I brought the passenger side spindle in and the bearing and they said they hook me up...........for $550. I had the rears done for $30, It is freakin reduculous what the stealership charges
Old 02-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Damn stealers are such a ripoff.

Do you have any pics of the bearing from when you did it?
Old 02-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
Yes I do, many pics but the new system requires me to delete all previous pics so I can post one, suck for you buddy. I guess I can describe in words instead on pics. OK, it's this round thing with a hole. If it's bad it can move slightly back in forth. It has an ABS ring that is close to the first hole Good Luck
Can you post em on webshots instead so I can see em?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:45 PM

I recently replaced one of the front wheel bearings on my 97 with 35,000 miles on it.

I did it myself. I do have a 20 ton press.

Gadget
Old 02-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
I recently replaced one of the front wheel bearings on my 97 with 35,000 miles on it.

I did it myself. I do have a 20 ton press.

Gadget
Any tips for doing it?
Got any pics of when you were doing it?
How did you know it went bad (or was it just preventative?)?
Old 02-14-2004, 07:12 PM

No pictures. I don't bother taking pictures of basic repairs...

I just followed the proceedure laid out in the FSM.

I started getting some odd vibration in the front end that would change slightly when I turned at high speed. I rotated the tires and the vibration stayed in the front end. I used a tool called a Chassis Ear which is a bunch of microphones on alligator clips. I quickly narrowed down the probem to the front hub. It was making some really strange noises on the Ear. I ordered a new bearing from www.PartzNet.com and went to work.

The bearing is destroyed when you remove it and it can not be reused, but I really could not see what was really wrong with it. The problem did go away after the install so I got it right.

Now, I will tell you this, it is not a simple job. You will need a shop press and all the goodies to go with it.

Gadget
Old 02-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

No pictures. I don't bother taking pictures of basic repairs...

I just followed the proceedure laid out in the FSM.

I started getting some odd vibration in the front end that would change slightly when I turned at high speed. I rotated the tires and the vibration stayed in the front end. I used a tool called a Chassis Ear which is a bunch of microphones on alligator clips. I quickly narrowed down the probem to the front hub. It was making some really strange noises on the Ear. I ordered a new bearing from www.PartzNet.com and went to work.

The bearing is destroyed when you remove it and it can not be reused, but I really could not see what was really wrong with it. The problem did go away after the install so I got it right.

Now, I will tell you this, it is not a simple job. You will need a shop press and all the goodies to go with it.

Gadget
Any idea where I can buy a chassis ear?
......sounds like a VERY useful tool.

I am afraid that is what I am starting to hear now on my front end.
......like a wierd noise and a vibration in the front end. :cry:

Thanks for the info as usual.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-14-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:30 PM

I got mine from the Snap On dude. I do not remember what I paid for it, but it was not ugly expensive.

Gadget
Old 02-14-2004, 08:57 PM

Before you start working on your rig jack the front up so the wheels are off the ground. Next shake the wheel back and forth, if it moves pay attention weather it is the steering rack (inner tierods) or the bearing. If it is the inner tie rod then it will move inside the steering rack boot, if it is the bearing it will move around the center of the wheel.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:37 PM

gadget do you have the old bearing and race no.s (from the parts themselves)? and what brand did you get from partznet?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
Before you start working on your rig jack the front up so the wheels are off the ground. Next shake the wheel back and forth, if it moves pay attention weather it is the steering rack (inner tierods) or the bearing. If it is the inner tie rod then it will move inside the steering rack boot, if it is the bearing it will move around the center of the wheel.
Thanks for the info Hyperlite.
I haven't had the time to check but will do soon!
Sounds like it was pretty obvious when it did go.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

I got mine from the Snap On dude. I do not remember what I paid for it, but it was not ugly expensive.

Gadget
Those two phrases are not commonly used together...

To bring back an old thread here... (using the search function and all)...

I have a strange noise coming from the front end of my 97. It's like a humming sort of vibration, it will change in intensity depending on suspension load and turning, though once you get the wheel turned it goes back to a low level. Recently my steering wheel has developed a light vibration at all speeds as well which, believe it or not, seems to come and go (rules out wheel balancing) and is not related to vehicle speed.

I'm going to jack it up and look for worn stuff, but I'm perplexed. Could it be a wheel bearing? At 101k miles anything's possible I suppose. I squeezed the CV boots and didn't really feel "grease" in there, but they don't look cracked and I don't see the telltale grease splatter under the wheelwell. Also, from what I've seen with bad CV's in the past, it's fine when going straight but will vibrate like an SOB when turning - my vibration and huming noise is there no matter what. (vibration not always there, humming definitely always there)

Any ideas? I've never really diagnosed a front end problem but would really like to get this sorted. The "humming" turns into something you can lightly feel with your feet initially when turning then goes back to normal. Wondering if the bearings have just never been repacked or something and are running dry? Wondering what all to look at and check here.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

The noise I thought was wheel bearings in the front turned out to be the noise of my tires as they wore out. Sounded very much the same to what you are describing although yours may be something else.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm.

Well, my tires are pretty far worn down... guess I need to just suck it in and get new tires for it (insert crying sound here, I do not have the cash for these right now). I'll check other things to make sure though...

Heck my dad has an 03, maybe I can stick his wheels on there temporarily just to see what happens...