Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Highland Runner
Instead of a snorkel, a guy on the pirate board put an elbow and some pipe on the stock air box, and ran it into the A/C fresh air intake. Here is the thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...light=snorkel. A 3rd gen should be even easier since the intake is already back by the door.
Tapping into the cowl like that guy did was exactly what I was talking about.....I am not a big fan of the snorkel look unless it is a strictly trail vehicle.....I am more for the sleeker look.

You should be able to just extend the current tube inside the fender over to the cowl and plumb it in with an ABS plumming elbow. I am not hardcore enuf to need it or I would try it myself.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-08-2003 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PoBoy
Engineering stripes? Funny you say that. Got my degree in computer engineering, but all the EE and ME guys say we dont know squat about "real" engineering. Hopefully, this will set them straight.
I know, I read your site and so me being an ME and you being a CE I had to razz you a bit about it.....
Old 08-08-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Snorkel write-up

Originally posted by Hyperlite
The 4Runner pipe will work fine. It slips on and you tighten the clamp and go swimming. Do not waste your $ on parts you don't need. The only prob with the factory 4runner pipe is that I feel the connections are not totally watertight when sumerged, but a little silicon will fix that.
HUH? How can you get a good fit with that small horn shape, not to mention it is like 6" too short...
Old 08-09-2003, 12:54 PM

The pipe fit perfectly. The 6 inch pipe was already attached to the 90 degree pipe that ran into the factor air box. This is all Toyota parts. It is under the fender well, remove the liner and you will see it. The photo shows a total of 4 pipes, 2 closest to the air box are factory the other two are the snorkel. The snorkel comes with the snorkel body, the air ram, rubber pipe w/ 90 degree, template and hardware. I hope this is alittle bit of
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Snorkel-snorkel-diagram.gif  
Old 08-09-2003, 01:25 PM

The pipe fit perfectly. The 6 inch pipe was already attached to the 90 degree pipe that ran into the factor air box. This is all Toyota parts. It is under the fender well, remove the liner and you will see it. The photo shows a total of 4 pipes, 2 closest to the air box are factory the other two are the snorkel. The snorkel comes with the snorkel body, the air ram, rubber pipe w/ 90 degree, template and hardware. I hope this is alittle bit of
Dude, I was the first person to do this on a 3rd gen 4Runner, remember? I know what is back there. The pipe in question is the one between the rubber hose that comes with the snorkel and the elbow that goes into the airbox. Does yours actually look like the one in the picture? Because if it does, that would be very interesting, mine looked nothing like that and was not near long enough to meet up with the rubber hose coming from the snorkel. That would be pretty cool if people with older trucks didn't need to purchase this extra piece...
Old 08-09-2003, 01:45 PM

I took some pictures of the stock intake tube that was on my 4Runner for everyone's viewing enjoyment. Aside from the little flap of plastic you would have to cut out to even get a hose around it, the "horn" shape on the end would make it very hard to get a good seal. The biggest problem is that this piece is about half the length of the equivalent Taco tube.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/ddelaney...ake%20tube.jpg

As you can see, I needed a snorkel.

Is this not what your's looked like Hyperlite?

I am not saying that the Taco piece is the only solution to this, but it certainly is the easiest option as well as probably the most reliable.

Also I thought it would be nice to mention that the template that comes with the snorkel to line up your holes works perfectly for the fender of the 3rd gen.

EDIT: Hyperlite, what the heck did you need a bottle jack for?

Last edited by 44Runner; 08-09-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
Dude, I was the first person to do this on a 3rd gen 4Runner, remember? I know what is back there. The pipe in question is the one between the rubber hose that comes with the snorkel and the elbow that goes into the airbox. Does yours actually look like the one in the picture? Because if it does, that would be very interesting, mine looked nothing like that and was not near long enough to meet up with the rubber hose coming from the snorkel. That would be pretty cool if people with older trucks didn't need to purchase this extra piece...
Hey 44Runner,
Mine looked like the one in the attachment not like the one you took in the photo.
Guess we get some benefit for having the Rev 1.0 truck (96-97) afterall.....

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-09-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:16 PM

I used the bottle jack to bend the antenna stay out of the way. 44Runner it looks like my pipe is different than yours. The template is correct if you put it on correct, oh well it looks fine when i tighted the bolts. How much does the steelership charge for the taco pipe? Did you seal the holes in the bottom of the air box?
MTL_4runner thanks for your help in this matter I guess our toys are different
Old 08-09-2003, 06:47 PM

I used the bottle jack to bend the antenna stay out of the way. 44Runner it looks like my pipe is different than yours. The template is correct if you put it on correct, oh well it looks fine when i tighted the bolts. How much does the steelership charge for the taco pipe? Did you seal the holes in the bottom of the air box?
MTL_4runner thanks for your help in this matter I guess our toys are different
Hmmm, still have no idea what you mean with the jack.

Yes, you do have to put on the template correct for it to work right

Don't remember exactly, but remember feeling like it was way too much for a thin plastic tube.

Yes, used the same silicone stuff I used to seal all the pipe connections with. I took all the intake pieces apart and made sure all the connections were water proof.

I guess the moral of this is that you should check to see if your intake piece looks like my old one or the one in the diagram...
Old 12-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Just my input here.. If you are going to go thru the troubble of putting the intake into the cowl, don't bother.. If you get in deep enough to worry about the stock system, the "bow wake" is going to be so close to going into the cowl, or it will go right in. You forget how much water can splash.. And that splash my friends is what is gonna get you.. Not the depth!

PS.. SEAL THE COMPUTER!! All it takes is a weekend with some silicoln to seal it up good... If you stop, you are gonna take on water!!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:25 PM

PS.. SEAL THE COMPUTER!! All it takes is a weekend with some silicoln to seal it up good...
What did you 3rd gen guys do about the computer. Maybe i should be askin where is it.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:45 PM

Down Low, Too Low
No problem if you don't get stuck. I have had my Runner's hood completly under water in a 100ft long hole and only took on water once and that's because I hit it too hard and pushed the bow wave over the roof. If you stop in a water hole your computer, alarm, starter and altinator are all subjected to flood damage.
I have extended breathers and fit my electronic into ghetto plastic bags with rubber bands. It will probibly just hold water in them after a dunking, but at least I tried. One of my amps is uder the rear seat and has actually been splashed by mud that has traveled through the inside of the body. If I loose toons then I know I need to do something fast
Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Corey
Thanks Dave.
I called my local dealer, and he confirmed your part # was correct.

I put a link on the description to Rob's write-up pointing to a text file with the part #.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/techpage4.htm

All this is making me want one now
Hello,

Can you give us the part number for the intake? And cost.

Hey what is the part number for the Safari snorkel?

SS170HF ?
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel/ss170.htm

Thanks,
-JACK

Last edited by jacksilb; 01-27-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jacksilb
Hello,

Can you give us the part number for the intake? And cost.

Hey what is the part number for the Safari snorkel?

SS170HF ?
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel/ss170.htm

Thanks,
-JACK
Jack-

All of the 2.7 liter airboxes reguardless of year have the Tacoma style tube, you can just bolt the snorkel right up.

Esteban
Old 01-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Cool.

Thanks Steve.
I need to talk to you about re-gearing.
Can you add me to your list of PMs enabled?

Thanks,
-JACK
Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

You should be able to PM me.