Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2wd truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2wd truck

I know this is a predominantly SUV oriented forum but I figured you guys might be able to help me out. I have a 90 xtracab 2wd with a 22re. I have had it since day one and now it has 350K miles on it. Got a new car so, I don't drive it anymore and want to turn it into a toy(bad pun i guess). Figured I will have fun messing the the honda kids at the track. Has anyone had any experience with a similar project or seen one? I have already figured out how I can get it a little over 220hp out of the motor to start with, but parts are from LC Engineering which is pricey. Any suggestions as to another place that i might be able to save on some of the parts from? I already have a tranny shop lined up as well as a body shop. Just need some guidance from people with past experiences modifying.
All input is appreciated.
Thanks
Charles
Old 08-11-2002, 06:08 AM
Banned

Welcome to the board. There are some things you can do to your motor without breaking the bank. If you want mostly top end power, open the exhaust system up as much as possible. 2.25 inch pipe is very popular with us 4x4 guys because we can't sacrifice low end torque for high rpm horsepower. If you want maximum HP at high RPM like the Honda draggers want, I dont see why 2.5 inch pipe would be bad. Get one of those fancy high flow mufflers like a Borla, hollow out your catalytic converter or get a hi flow cat if you don't have to pass a strict SMOG test. And then there is always a fat header if you want to really get serious about exhaust mods.

The same idea applies to the intake side, make sure your throttle body is clean, some people have even bored the TB to maximize airflow. Do as much as you can to minimize restriction of airflow.

Then there is the camshaft. Lots of aftermarket cams exist and can be quite pricey. To get similar results without shelling out the $pinach, look for a cam from one of those U-Hauls or Dolphin RVs that had the 22RE motor. Once you have whatever pieces you want put together, get your valve and spark timing tuned by an R series motor expert. (Not the dealer or Tunex or Midas, etc) Look for an independant shop that deals only with Toyotas. If you want to mess with VTEC Hondas that have variable valve timing, you have to be right on the money with your timing. Making 30 year old motor technology compete with brand new computer controlled motors takes a lot of know how.

Please note: I have not done any of these mods other than very minor exhaust work. I'm just telling you what I have heard, hoping to give you some ideas.

Read Roger Brown's Motor mods page here . He has done a lot to his 22RE and may be able to point you in the right direction if you ask informed questions.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:25 AM

Thanks!
This is what i have come up with so far with help:

from Lc Engineering:
stage 2 head- 1200 (they dont make the stage 3 for the 22re), aluminum flywheel - 400,
Crane Prostreet Ignition - 400,
Header - 350,
Black magic fan - 250 ,
total of 2600 bucks
I already have the K&N kit and all the cosmetic pieces ( eg body panels, entire chrome front end, roll pan, interior lighting)
I was told that this combo plus the K&N and an exhaust will give me around 220 HP.
I know the stock fuel injection is going to have to go so gotta fit that into budget somehow.
I have a 3500 dollar budget for engine mods. The tranny, suspension, and body work ate up the rest of it.
I don't know where most of the forum members are located but I am stuck in central florida where I am yet to find a toyota specilized shop that messes around with performance parts. I looked all over........ if anyone knows of one I would be eternally greatful. I went to a few of the honda specializing performance shops but they blew me off. I have 2 friends that are master techs (ford) that are willing to help me but since they are busy... I have to have everything planned out and ready for them to help me out.

Do you think i am heading in the right direction? Has the info I have been given so far make sense? And last, am i overlooking anything?
Thanks for your help
Charles
Old 08-11-2002, 02:10 PM
Banned

In my oppinion you have already wasted a lot of money.

Aluminun flywheel?? How much lighter is it than the stocker? In rallycars where the budget is almost unlimited and one hundreth of a second over a 20 mile stage might mean one manufacturer championship point it makes some sence to lighten the flywheel. If you are losing championship points in a worldwide racing series by a very slight margin, a flywheel mod might be worth $400, for the application you describe its a waste.

You already have a high discharge ignition, the Crane won't help.

Electric fan can be aquired from a junkyard for about $35 dollars. Flex-a-lite (makers of the Black Magic) have a bit of a reputation for poor reliability from what I have read on the various offroad forums.

For what you have already spent you would be close to the budget for swapping a 350+ horsepower twin turbo Supra 7MGTE motor into your truck. Or you could have traded the truck and some cash for a complete, working 7MGTE Supra.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:12 PM

I haven't bought those. I was showing you guys the list of stuff someone helped me put together. The gentleman that helped me is the only person I have encountered who has modified a 2wd 22re truck like this. Only performance mod I have bought so far is the K&N and that was off of EBAY. I have bought all the cosmetic gear though, chrome front end, roll pan, etc.
I don't like to listen to just one person (they guy made me nervous) so thank you for the input.
My friend told me as well that the stock fuel injection probably wouldn't be worth crud on that setup.
So out goes the flywheel, fan, and ignition.
Is the rest ok? Got any other items you think that maybe I should shop for since now there is more $$ left?

P.S.
There is no way i will do a swap cuz this truck has sentimental values for me, and i wanna keep it sort of original. I think i need to clarify that working on this project will just help me maintain my sanity....... other people blow money on booze, women, etc..... I figure this is a safer way for me to blow money.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by trancenotic
I think i need to clarify that working on this project will just help me maintain my sanity....... other people blow money on booze, women, etc..... I figure this is a safer way for me to blow money.
Now that's the right attitude. Have fun with your project!