Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd Gen Owners with Black Rock Crawlers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Owners with Black Rock Crawlers!!!!

I am trying to see what my rig would look like compared to the stock wheels if I were to put on some 15x8 Rock Crawlers.

Post pics please!!!!

I have a jet black Runner so I am thinking it would look pretty sleek if I were to have black wheels also, my wheels also have blacked out lettering on them too...man, they are gonna look killer!

PICS PICS PICS!!

HEHE

Old 07-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

that what you are lookin for?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey ncsu-4runner, how much did you have to torque your bars up front to make it level with the back, or did the SAW's do it? thanks, Kyle
Old 07-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

NCSU-4runner's pics

NCSU-4runner: those pics are great; your rig looks awesome! i love the black rims... now you've got ME thinking about a lift in the not-too-distant future.

if i lift it, will i have to dump my rancho5000 shocks?

what to expect for cost?

also, how do you like the surco rack? you have it mounted on a thule bar or something, no?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:59 AM

NCSU-4Runner,

I see in your pictures that you removed your factory front mud flaps. Do you happen to still have them laying around? If so would you want to sell them? I'm very interested.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-30-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Chemist ("David") also just added block Rockcrawlers to his dark green rig.

He's got words and pics over here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=14614
Old 07-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, quick question to 2nd gen'ers, whats the typical backspacing for our rigs and what size rockcrawlers and tires? or what are most people putting on?
Im plannin to get some soon but am not sure how much backspacing is needed.

Steve

Last edited by DyeBoi; 07-30-2003 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm...dark green rigs sure do look nice with those things on em...I wonder what a black rig would look like?

Thanks for the pics/links...

Keep 'em comin!

Old 07-30-2003, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DyeBoi
Hey, quick question to 2nd gen'ers, whats the typical backspacing for our rigs and what size rockcrawlers and tires? or what are most people putting on?
Im plannin to get some soon but am not sure how much backspacing is needed.

Steve
David answered that question in the first message of the thread I linked to in the message just above your's that I'm quoting from.

Mad Chemist said: They are: BFG MT KM's, 285/75/16, mounted on Tech1 rockcrawler 16X8 rims, with 4 inch backspacing, 6 by 5.5" lug pattern.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

hey ncsu-4runner, how much did you have to torque your bars up front to make it level with the back, or did the SAW's do it? thanks, Kyle

you dont have to do a whole lot of torqing the tbars to level it out after the lift since the front starts out higher than the back. if you dont plan on doing a heavy arb or tjm bumper in the front dont to the SAW tbars, its not worth it. stock ones should do fine. i didnt know that when i bought em, i assumed you had to buy new tbars to do a front lift.

if i lift it, will i have to dump my rancho5000 shocks?

what to expect for cost?

also, how do you like the surco rack? you have it mounted on a thule bar or something, no?
if your ranchos are for stock length suspension id say yes. i payed 170 for my coils, and 130 for the spacer kit for a total of 3in+ in the rear ( the + due to the higher spring rate of the HD coils). 60 bucks per bilstein in the front, 50 per doestch shock in the rear, all direct from downey. ive heard mike at xtreme offroad may be able to do it slightly cheaper but youd have to talk directly to him. as far as the rack i did yakima bars from my local REI outlet (dont remember the price, $150 maybe?) and ordered the surco off the internet.

surco rack

I see in your pictures that you removed your factory front mud flaps. Do you happen to still have them laying around?
nope, i tossed them when i took em off, sorry

thanks for all the compliments guys, really makes me feel better about putting money into her

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 07-31-2003 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

i would post a picture, but i cant use monty pics anymore, so cursis!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Hey NCSU-4runner,
quick question, with your 33's on 15x8s, what backspacing are you using? It seems that i may go with the 15x8s, but not sure on the backspacing and probably run 32's. I'll probably be running with cranked up front torsions and the 2'' HD downeys in the rear, am I going to have a problem with rubbing? I wanna fit the biggest tire, without regearing and going into a real big suspension lift. What do you think?

doink
what is your backspacing at? and what do you think would be best route?

Thanks guys

Steve

PS NCSU-4runner

The runner should be back this weekend! Im pretty excited. Full rebuild with a P&P and shaved heads, lots of preventive measures and valves seated and correctly shim'd for a cam upgrade when i get the money. Thinking headers, but I've heard mixed thoughts on those. Any suggestions? After the engine mods, finally get into suspension and tires and maybe some sliders and lights, , it'll never end!
eventually, i'll come back to you for that engine swap

Last edited by DyeBoi; 07-31-2003 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the great info NCSU-4runner.

you even pointed me to the URL where i found the surco rack on the web; now i feel better about ordering knowing that someone has had a good experience.

https://www.yotatech.com/misc.php?action=getsmilies
Old 07-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DyeBoi
Hey NCSU-4runner,
quick question, with your 33's on 15x8s, what backspacing are you using? It seems that i may go with the 15x8s, but not sure on the backspacing and probably run 32's. I'll probably be running with cranked up front torsions and the 2'' HD downeys in the rear, am I going to have a problem with rubbing? I wanna fit the biggest tire, without regearing and going into a real big suspension lift. What do you think?

doink
what is your backspacing at? and what do you think would be best route?

Thanks guys

Steve

if you go with the 32s, with a slight torsion bar crank, and the HD downey coils, im sure you would experience little, if any rubbing.if you want to fit 33s, i believe you can add a 1inch BL ontop of that and run 33s, but dont quote me on that. i hope this has helped
Old 07-31-2003, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

alright guys, i found a site that i could upload my pictures to. heres my 2nd gen with theblack rock crawlers

EDIT: alright, see if this works

Last edited by doink; 07-31-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:17 PM

nope doesnt work on my comp
Old 07-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Well...I think you guys have sold me. I just wish I had the cash to do it right now!

I think I will wait on those and try and get the Aisin Hubs and Downey HD Coils first...then the Rock Crawlers.

I need to work my off the next few weeks before school starts back up!!!

Thanks for the pics, keep em comin guys!!!

Old 07-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Do it man! Black rims look sweet! They are on the horizon for my Runner. Not sure when though.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, they are definately comin' up on my horizon too...and no, I am not sure when either!

I need those Downey's though, hauling trailers are a B*TCH!!

Old 07-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

if you go with the 32s, with a slight torsion bar crank, and the HD downey coils, im sure you would experience little, if any rubbing.if you want to fit 33s, i believe you can add a 1inch BL ontop of that and run 33s, but dont quote me on that. i hope this has helped
I think i can answer the question with 100% confidence since i run 33s, and my good friend runs 32s. with the 3in downey kit you wont have any rear end problems running 33s, but when you turn your wheels the front end will rub due to the wider tire width (31x10.50 vs 33x12.50) even with the t-bars on an aggressive crank ( which is highly unadvisable anyway ) to be able to run 33s and never run i had to do a 2in body lift. even now i can still rub them in the front offroad if i turn the wheels all the way to the side but its not a big deal. if you want to run 32s you can get away with just doing the downey rear spring kit (spacer optional) and no body lift. my friend has 32x11.50s and because of the inch less width he doesnt ever run the front end. so remember, in most cases its not the height that rubs, its the width that gets you.

Hey NCSU-4runner, quick question, with your 33's on 15x8s, what backspacing are you using?
i use 15x8 rock crawlers with a 3.75 backspacing. but like i said you'll rub 33s unless you do a body lift, even with a tbar crank but you should be able to do 32s with little problem.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Owners with Black Rock Crawlers!!!!