Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22re overheating, losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re overheating, losing coolant

In the last 2 weeks my truck has overheated a couple times. The first time it overheated, I replaced the thermostat. After that it seemed to be fixed. Today I drove down to oregon (250mi each way) and it overheated about 200 miles in on the way down. I pulled over and found that I was low on coolant so i filled it back up and filled the overflow bottle about half way. On the way back it started to get hot so i pulled over and check the radator. It was low again. I checked the overflow bottle and it was all the way full. There was coolant in my battery tray, and all over the side of the battery (right below the overflow hose). I was wondering if it could be the radiator cap could be messed up and not letting coolant back into the radiator from the overflow bottle, Or do you guys think its a headgasket? My truck only has a bit of smoke when its cold and when its up to temp it doesnt smoke at all. My compression is good. What could this be?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 06:29 PM

That happened to me when I had my 94 pickup. For me, it turned out to be the headgasket. I think you can check your oil cap to see if there is any coolant built up in it or something like that. Good luck, hope its not the headgasket.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

pretty much the same when my truck started acting up... it ended up being the headgasket... got to the point that it was looking like i was burning out when idling due to all the white smoke coming out of my exhuast that dumps right in front of the rear axle....
Old 02-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You may want to have the cooling system pressure tested to #1 check for leaks that may only show up under pressure and #2 to see if the cooling system is being over-pressurized by the engine exhaust. A chemical test on the coolant is another possibility, checks for exhaust gas contamination in the coolant:

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea..._leak_test.htm

It is not uncommon for a 22R engine to develop a head gasket leak between a cooling passage and the cylinder and all without ever getting a coolant to oil leak.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do the 22re water pumps have a weep hole? when an internal seal goes, the coolant exits through the hole. you should see a pool underneath your vehicle letting it idle if this is the case.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses. Im starting to belive that it is the headgasket too. The only thing that is pointing to this is losing coolant. No smoke, no power loss, etc. Will the exhaust have a distinct smell that points to burning coolant? The other thing is the guy that owned the truck before me did the timing chain, headgasket, etc at 125,000 miles. The truck has 136,000 miles now. If anyone else has anything i could try before tearing the motor apart, please let me know.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Check to see if there is a small hole in the radiator or a radiator hose that is spraying coolant onto the battery tray.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Banned

yes, coolant leaves a very distinct burned coolant smell form the exhuast.... white smoke might also be seen....
Old 02-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

It all depends on the "direction" of the leak. I have had HG leaks a few times in various 22REs, some did the white smoke and sweet smelling exhaust thing, but other times, it was only exhaust->coolant leak. Exhaust, under pressure would enter the cooling system, oover pressure it, blow it out the rad. cap into the overflow and ultimately onto the ground. You would never see steam since it would only vent coolant here and there, usually under high engine load, like driving up a hill on the highway. That is why a pressure or chemical test is a good diagnostic. Looks for signs of exhaust gas in the coolant, either it's pressure when the engine is running, or it's chemical remains.

But, if you do find it is the HG leaking; be sure to find out what caused it to go out in the first place, Unless it just "wore" out from many decades of driving, something caused it to go. Most important to find out what caused that and fix it, too. I had one case where I had a HG go, warped the head on a rebuilt engine and that was replaced. Then within 2 weeks the new head and gasket did the same thing. Underlying problem in my case was a partially clogged radiator. It would allow the engine to overheat a little, never getting into the red area on the gauge, but definately hotter than normal.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-13-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks alot roger, your info always help my knowlage grow. Is there any special way to have the system pressure tested? How can i tell if the exhaust is entering into the cooling system? Will it have a certein smell, color, etc?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

You can pressure test it with a cooling system pressure testing kit, something like this: http://www.mityvac.com/automobile.html, or some folks have added a schraeder valve (like on a tire) to an old radiator cap and use a tire pressure gauge. You are looking for the engine to build pressure in the cooling system higher than would be expected from the higher temperature. Or you can get a rough idea by starting the engine cold, rev it up a few times, shut it off then see if you hear any air escape when you open the radiator cap (should be none if all is well). Or for about $20, you can get a coolant test kit (I posted a link earlier) to check for exhaust gas contamination. I have also heard of folks running the coolant under a smog "sniffer" to see if it picks up the HC in it. Or take it to a shop, they can do one or more of the above tests.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other way to check is to just smell the coolant. It will have a very exhaust like smell, not sweet like normal coolant. Like Roger said start it up cold rev it and then shut it off. Pop the rad cap, mine would blow coolant out from the pressure and smelled like a tail pipe inside the rad.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

i had a very similar problem this weekend. i was loosing lots of coolant, about 6 oz. per mile. i got home and had to fill about 64 oz. of fluid. my radiator is only 1-2 years old. anywaz, i kept trying to see if its leaking anywhere and could not find any drops or puddles. finally i found the heater hose coming out of the firewall and into the engine block. the connection at the engine block (pipe coming out and straight up) was very loose and the fluid was falling right onto the headers and exhaust pipes and burning right off. simple worm clamps fixed that problem...
Old 02-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Last night I tried the cold start thing and popped off the radiator cap and nothing happened. Today I started my truck up with the radator cap off and it was perfectly fine, wasnt shooting coolant out or anything. When I left for school this morning it was pretty cold and the truck smoked a bit for the first 10 min then no smoke at all. For the rest of the day it didnt smoke. Dont know if this matters, but when i got home the truck was sitting and idling while I was checking some stuff in the engine, it started to smoke a bit. It was spitting out a little liquid too. Not sure if it was coolant or not. Is there any way I can check the heater core too see if that is leaking the coolant? Lastly anyone recommend somewhere I can get a heagasket kit.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

If it is getting hot standing still, you might test your fan clutch:

http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/techneek/fan_clch.htm

The cooling system pessure test I mentioned would help find leaks that only occur at high temps/pressures. If the system won't hold pressure, then you may be able to find the source of the leak (if it external) with it under pressure. Problem with leaks like that is that you'll never see them when it is hot if it is only leaking steam (i.e. you won't find liquid dripping down and making a puddle). Toyota would be one place to get a head gasket kit, Felpro is a good aftermarket brand if you want to go that way.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

you can get the headgasket kit from www.engnbldr.com i have never used him personally, but i have contacted him recently in my search for timing chain stuff and he was the first of 3 places to email me back... he responded in 2 days and doa responded within 3 days.. lce has not yet responded....
Old 02-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

I will probally go with www.engnbldr.com. He seems to have pretty good stuff, and his prices are good. Ill probally install some oversized valves and have the head ported and polished if I can scrape up enough cash. Jim when you did you headgasket did you use new head studs? Also has anyone ever used a v6 radiator with a 22re, they are alot thick and would probally help keep the engine cooler. If my radiator is ˟˟˟˟ed i will probally go to a v6 radator unless you guys can convince me otherwize
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

I used a 3-row radiator in mine, similar to what the 22RE-turbo uses:

http://www.4crawler.com/4Runner.shtml#Engine

and I used ARP head studs when I replaced my head the last time:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#CylinderHead
Old 02-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Well its a blown headgasket for sure now. My coolant smells like an exhaust pipe. I found out the cause of the blown HG too. The inlet on the bottom of the radiator was smashed and cracked, from what looks to be a hit from a rock. I guess the coolant slowly leaked out and then my truck overheated, blowing the headgasket. It really makes me mad that it was something so simple that caused a pretty major problem. Thanks for all your guys help, but ill probally be asking more questions when Im doing the headgasket.