Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 02:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

2.7L air intake mod suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7L air intake mod suggestions?

I've got an '01 4 cyl (2.7L) tacoma 4x4. The only mod is a K&N filter. I want to modify the air intake box, and I'm looking for suggestions. I have read a zillion different explantions and steps and tools req'd for the 3.4L. But the 2.7L is different, and there just isn't much out there. I have found one good suggestion at customtacos.com (http://www.customtacos.com/tech/arti...4/intakepart1/), but I was just hoping there was more out there. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 06-12-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Re: 2.7L air intake mod suggestions?

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
I've got an '01 4 cyl (2.7L) tacoma 4x4. The only mod is a K&N filter. I want to modify the air intake box, and I'm looking for suggestions. I have read a zillion different explantions and steps and tools req'd for the 3.4L. But the 2.7L is different, and there just isn't much out there. I have found one good suggestion at customtacos.com (http://www.customtacos.com/tech/arti...4/intakepart1/), but I was just hoping there was more out there. Any ideas? Thanks.
First suggestion: Ditch the K&N. Doesnt filter well. In some cases, it lost HP.

Second suggestion: Look around a little more. There are a couple guys that have made some good mods to the 2.7 intake. They just might chime in on this thread.

Third: Be a trailblazer, see what new intake mods you can come up with. It could make you famous!
Old 06-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

k&n is bad?

I have read on several different boards now that K&N sucks, AMSOIL rules. Is this your consensus? This was news to me, b/c I have been pretty pleased with mine. I have noticed that the truck seems to do better at higher rpms with the k&n. Is it the filtering capabilities that people don't like about the K&N's?

Thanks for the pep talk about the air intake mods. I have been brainstorming, but I would like to find a used air box to experiment on..... I checked the junkyard with no luck. I'm hoping some people with more brain muscle and experience than I will chime in with tech advice. My knowledge base right now is "make a big hole to let more air in, but don't let water in." Is it that simple?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Re: k&n is bad?

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
I have read on several different boards now that K&N sucks, AMSOIL rules. Is this your consensus? This was news to me, b/c I have been pretty pleased with mine. I have noticed that the truck seems to do better at higher rpms with the k&n. Is it the filtering capabilities that people don't like about the K&N's?

Thanks for the pep talk about the air intake mods. I have been brainstorming, but I would like to find a used air box to experiment on..... I checked the junkyard with no luck. I'm hoping some people with more brain muscle and experience than I will chime in with tech advice. My knowledge base right now is "make a big hole to let more air in, but don't let water in." Is it that simple?
Yeah, you have the basic idea. I think drop in air filter "HP" is psychological. Trust me, I have owned K&N's in the past and have sworn I felt a difference. The problem is that it takes at least 5HP to "feel" a difference. So, it was probably just my excitement. Now I come to find out that K&N sucks (no pun intended) on filtration. In the desert, that is bad news. Actually, anywhere that is bad news.

But, I would encourage you to continue with your enginuitive endevors regarding the 2.7 airbox. You definetly have the right idea, more air, no water. As for the used airbox, keep your eye on ebay. You never know. Keep us posted.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:51 PM

I removed the elbow on my 2.7. Here's my adventure:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=air+elbow

There are also several members here that have done the deck plate mod on the 2.7 airbox. Well yeah, it's basically the same as the deck plate mod on the 3.4, but the hole is cut in a different place. Good luck Let us know how it went when you get it done.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Just to conclude

Finished product.