Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1" Body Lift Installed Today :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1" Body Lift Installed Today :-)

I finally set aside a day to install a 4Crawler 1" Body Lift.
The installation went smooth thanks to all the info on this forum and the instructions included with the kit. I was really pleased with how nicely the steering spacer and bumper brackets fit. Roger Brown (4Crawler) does a nice job with these body lift kits.

Here are some pictures
Old 04-06-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great. I'm almost ready for that mod myself...
Old 04-07-2003, 06:37 AM

Do you have a tow hitch on the back? If so, would you mind taking a close up picture of that so we could see what it looks like?

Chris

P.S. I really want to do this mod too! It look great!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Chris,
I'll get that picture posted tonight. I should have taken one of the hitch yesterday while I was at it.

The increased space between the bumper and the hitch isn't too noticable. The spare tire fills the gap so it doesn't catch your eye.
I do wish the hitch wasn't so huge. An aftermarket one would probably look better and increase departure angle. But I think I'll drag this one around some more first.
Thanks for the compliments!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Looking good. Now we really need to go out and get the trucks dirty...
Old 04-07-2003, 07:07 AM

We basically have the same setup, and I was wondering what tires you plan to run since you have both the body lift and the PP 1" springs? I know we can run 275/75R16's now, but I was wondering if you were planning on going bigger and whether they would fit or not?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Well, last week I measured my PP lift against a stock 98 4Runner and I was +2 1/4" in the rear and +1 5/8" in the front. Add an inch to those figures and I believe, from what I've learned here, that 285's will fit and not rub with the proper backspacing on a new set of rims.
At first, I had my mind set on 33's (285's) but after much thought, I am thinking that 32's would be just right. I really like the way my truck currently goes up hills and very seldom down shifts on the highway. I'm afraid that losing those on road characteristics will not be worth jumping up to 33's. Regearing would of course solve that problem but I'm not about to spend that kind of money. But I do plan on running the bigger tires on a set of new rims for the wheeling months and run the stockers in the winter. Hmmmm...... maybe I should do it right and go for 285's?????????
I have been known to change my mind at the last minute so who knows at this point.

I really wish I could try both before settling with the smaller 32's

And Noel, you are right we need to do some wheeling!!! I also want to check out that supercharger!!
Old 04-07-2003, 10:20 AM

Sweet man! It sounds like you achieved about the same lift that I did from the PP springs. I'll probably just run the 275/75R16's on the stock rims, and I'm thinking I'm gonig to run the Goodyear MTR's. I don't have the money for bigger tires and new wheels, but I've also heard that the 285's can be run sucessfully on the stock rims. Why do you want to replace the rims too? Backspacing?

My next suspension upgrade will probably either be Disco's or SAW's, but I can't decide. I'll probably do both at the same time, but it's going to be a while.

To be honest, I like the handing charaterisitics of the springs and addco's in the corners, but it's a little rougher than I really want for everyday driving. That's why I want to go with softer springs again, but get higher quality spring/shock setup so the hadnling isn't compromised.

Enough rambling for now!

Chris
Old 04-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

I want Goodyear MTR's too!!! The reasons why I would get new rims are
1) backspacing ( I want a slightly wider stance)
2) The 265 70 Toyo's I have now are fairly new & good for the winter
3) I love the look of those Mickey Thompson Classic II's rims
4) Getting a good balance job on the stock rims is not easy.

Cost is definitely going to hurt so I may just buy the tires and wait a few months for the rims. Or get black steel ones for half the cost of the Mickey Thompsons. It's still too soon to tell.

Let me know what happens with your suspension. I agree that mine can be harsh too. It is much nicer when you put some weight in the truck
Old 04-07-2003, 11:01 AM

No kidding! With weight in the back, it rides a lot better. I really like the Classic's with that new bead lock look. I can't remember what it's called, but it looks really cool to me. I would like my tires to sit just inside of the fender flares. I don't know where they would sit on the stock rims, but I could easily get the new tires and wheels and keep my old ones too, because mine are real new too.

I just don't want to rub when I'm off-roading. That's my major concern. My favorite tire size is 33x12.50's but I don't hear anyone running them because they rub so much, I guess. Since I just did most of my performance mods and some suspension stuff, I'm going to hold off for right now on everything, or at least until my wife chills out a tad!!

I can't wait to se pictures of your truck after the new tires are added. Keep us posted.

Chris
Old 04-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Do you have a tow hitch on the back? If so, would you mind taking a close up picture of that so we could see what it looks like?

Chris

P.S. I really want to do this mod too! It look great!
Here are those pics Chris. The profile shot is at a bad angle but the rear one shows the gap. It definitely is not cool but I'll either live with it or modify it.
I can't believe it's snowing out. I thought winter was over.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:57 PM

That's not too bad! It looks like a great place to mount some small reverse lights to me, tucked nicely up and out of the way. What do you think? I've been trying to think of great place to mount them, and that would work for me.

Chris
Old 04-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

That's actually an awesome idea.