Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad to hear its running terry
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I got to take it to get it inspected and just need to get the tags and it is legal for the road. The engine bay cleaned up really well. Just need to spend some more time on it and it should look great. It is still cold out so I didnt wash very long and the hood will need some work. It is running great.

Timing is not quite perfect, I havent put a timing light on it, just set it by listening to it and I can get it close. I have a pinhole by the radiator cap. I just got it flushed and repaired, but apparently they missed when repairing the bracket that was broken.

I plan on getting the tags today, just not sure when I will mount the tags on the truck. Did get the bumper pushed back in a little so it doesnt look quite as bad. I will be replacing it anyways and plan on starting on body work as the weather is supposed to turn nice this week. At least it is drivable now, still have a ways to go. New windshield wipers, tires out of balance,etc.etc Only 998 things left to do.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-15-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good and glad to hear you got it running.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^x2
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the tags but hadnt put them on yet and was letting the wife drive it for the first time. Sure enough, she got stopped. (hehe) She showed the tags and paper work and was let go, so all is well. I did get to put it to work today. Used it to get the boat to the carwash and both got a good bath. What a difference. Still want to get the undercarriage cleaned up better. Still just doing short test drives and looking for other bugs to work out.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookin good man keep it up and you will have that list down to nothing soon enough
Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 PM

glad to see you can drive it
Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason and Twisted. I have been checking in on our sites as well. With the weather warming up maybe we can all get going on our projects again, plus getting the time.

I made some progress with a little step back. I had been driving it for 1 or 2 mile short trips. Sunday I got brave and put 60 miles on it to really check it out and everything went well. I then took it to work which is 35 miles one way. Got to work and smelled gas. It was #4 injector leaking. Had my brother to haul it back home for me on a trailer so as not to catch a fire and burn it up.

Dont know what went wrong. I replaced all of the rubber seals with new ones and have done around 5 head gaskets on 22res and numerous other times of having to pull injectors out for one reason or the other and never had a problem with leaks at the injector. We are getting rain for the next couple of days and soon as I can I want to tear it down and see what went wrong. I sure it will be a simple fix.

I am starting a photobucket account and will need to learn how to post pics from there. I will try and post pics of the injector when I get it out and to get familiar with photobucket.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM

heyy it sux about the leak. i came across the same thing on mine.

i fixed it by getting new orings and adding sum grease on them before i installed them. so they slide in instead of getting stuck and ripping.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:35 AM

Hey Terry, just checking in. Sorry to hear about the leak, but think it won't be too bad to go back in and fix it. Sounds like it is running pretty good otherwise, keep at it man.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hey Twisted and Rob, how you guys doing? I got some good news. I got the leak fixed. Somehow when I put the injector into the fuel rail, I knicked the top O-Ring. Wasnt much of a knick but made a bad leak. UPDATE: OIL them O-RINGS when installing them. (Oil, WD-40,...)

Also fixed a Power Steering problem. The Previous Owner had used some heater hose that goes from the tank to the pump. It started collapsing and making a bad noise. It sound like it was out of fluid or the pump was bad. Got it replaced with the correct hose and it sounds and works great.

I replaced my heater control face panel and got a lot of the dash put back together as the PO had removed a stereo and left it apart. He also had an alarm system that was in the way of my left foot and got most of it removed and got the kick panel back in. So all in all I had a great day.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-14-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Isn't it nice when things go your way? Glad to hear it Terry.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
good deal terry. as i read that post about the gas the 1st person i thought of was member MIGHTYMOUSE.....he lost his truck suddenly to a engine fuel fire. glad your outcome was less exciting.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM

glad to hear you getting it all together
Old 03-26-2011, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks guys. The Oring that was the culprit didnt have much of a rip in it, but it was enough. I checked and rechecked when I put it in this time. This time I am sure I dont have any leaks.

Edited 7/7/11
Since I have fixed this long ago, I have learned to use WD-40 or something similar to avoid ripping O-Rings before installing.

Name:  BadOring.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  16.1 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-07-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Dont know why the picture is so blurry, but hopefully you get the idea. Just double check your injectors when you put them in. I have done this several times and never had a problem. I may have just gotten over confident in myself an could of had a big fire. Hopefully this will save someone here a problem.

I had to keep one of the little ones home from school. Looked like he had the Chicken Poxs, but turned out to be some long weird name, basically a virus. He was happy, got to stay out of school for a day and wanted to help. I didnt have bright lites so we changed the light switch assembly. We removed the steering wheel and he struggled to get the steering wheel puller bolt, but when it did it made a "Pop" and the steering wheel jumped a little landing on the steering shaft. He thought he broke it.

He says he wants a "Junky Car" to make nice when he gets older. Yeah I have done a few. I hope he still has the junky car syndrome later on.

Name:  TakingsSteeringoff.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  86.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-26-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was looking at some of my pictures and the truck looks better on the computer then up close. It has 8 dents and dings on the passenger side, 5 dents on the hood, and 3 on the drivers side. I am just waiting for the weather to get better and will start working on the body soon. Last week was great weather around here and now the highs is only going to be in the mid 50s.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 AM

LOL, mine looks better in pics than it does in person also. It doesn't take much of a tear for those O-rings to not seal, I usually put just a tad of grease on them before I install them, helps it slide in without snagging. Can't wait until my son is old enough to help me work on my truck, I also can't wait until he is old enough to mow the grass take out the trash ect. lol
Old 03-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hey Rob, I was laughing about the day he gets old enough to do the trash and mowing. Those days are nice, THENNNN, you start to find tools in the yard and things taken apart and not put put back togther.

One day the wife went outside and my oldest had the push mower upside down with the gas and oil leaking all over the place, working on the blade or wheels. She couldnt get it started earlier so he thought the problem had to be under there some where. Your days are a coming. lol

Like 92 Toy says on his thread, you want to jump in get it done, but you just have to make yourself step back and let them do it.

I have a pic of him putting the steering wheel cover back on the wheel and he wanted to know why I hadnt put it on here. I just figured out Photobucket. This computer stuff is not quite so easy for some of us old geezers.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Need some help

In my avatar is my 87 two wheel drive 22re, 5 Speed Manual Tranny. Last week I was driving it and when I am running along at a steady speed, not accelerating or decelerating it like it is cutting out or hesitating. I can let off of the gas or give it some gas and even floor it and it will run like a champ.

I rebuilt it 2 years ago and put about 10,000 miles on it with all new Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Fuel Filter, Air Filter,Oil/Filter. I then went to Afganistan for a year and it sat for a year and it did get started occasionally as the wife doesnt care to drive it and isnt big enough to carry her and the kids.

I have been driving it for 6 months now since being back. I changed the oil and it has about 5,000 on it with no problems until now. Even though the old stuff really didnt have that many miles on it, but it was going on 2 years. I changed everything again. I even changed the coil and igniter box. I am looking on pages this site and going through my Haynes.

I am borrowing a good fuel pump from a friend on Tuesday if all goes well. I havent ran checks on my Throttle Position Sensor and am looking into it as well. Will recheck for vacuum leaks

Things I have done :

Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Coil/Igniter
Plugs,Wires,Rotor,Cap
Checked Vacuum Lines
Set Timing,Adjust Valves

Thats all I can think of for now. I even wondered about water in the gas, but I would expect it to cause a problem after I got back.

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-27-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread