86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Mazzola'a 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mazzola'a 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Ok, where to begin? Last summer ('09) I was looking for a truck. I had 3,000 saved up and was looking to buy my first truck of my own after sharing a jeep with my dad for a year. (Meaning it was mine until he got bored of driving his work truck, not very fun for me). I looked around my area, craigslist, eBay, everything. Honestly at this time I was searching for a Chevy. I'm a big guy, I wanted a big truck. Then coming home one day I saw a little 2wd '84 Toyota pickup sitting in the yard down the street from me for sale. I stopped by to look and the guy was asking $600. I figured why not drive this until I find a better truck and make some of my money back reselling it later on. So my dad and I went to talk to the guy and he told me honestly he just wanted it gone and would take 400 cash right then and there. Of course I was gonna buy it. It ran like a champ, had new good year tires and clutch. Then before we could make the deal he showed me a project he was working on in his garage. An '86 he had pulled the engine out and was rebuilding. He bored out the cylinders (.030) and it had a brush bar and bucket seats. I liked this truck alot. I asked if he was selling it and the guy told me he could use the space, 1,000 and I can take both. I drove the '84 home and pushed the '86.

Me and my dad started bouncing ideas left and right on what to do over the next few weeks then just stopped. It sat in my garage untouched for a good 2 months. Then the football season ended at my high school and with my free time I started making plans again. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO REBUILD AN ENGINE. But I knew a guy who did, especially Toyota engines. So my dad made a deal to trade my '84 to him to rebuild the engine fully in my '86. Got her back 3 weeks later fully running. Next was body work and paint. Had the generic bed rust that we fiber-glassed and bondo'd any other rust. The sanded it down and headed to my buddy's to paint it in his garage.

$80 for the paint and gun and did it ourselves, ain't to shabby eh?

Next up was tires and rims. 31x10.50 Dunlop Mudrovers mounted on 15x8 American Racing Outlaw 2's.

Then my friend Cody (https://www.yotatech.com/members/56412.html) then got to work on my exhaust. It had the original '86 muffler on there. So we thought we'd add on a 22 inch thrust glasspack. I like sounding like a pissed off bumble bee.

Then she went on her first trip through the mud... burned out the clutch (later found out it wasn't my driving just a crappy clutch) and had to be towed back to my buddy's garage by my dad's jeep. Except dad doesn't understand I said hook up to my tow hook doesn't mean wrap the strap around my brush guard and yanked it straight to a 90 degree angle down. But later on after I fixed the clutch me and Cody went and rammed a tree a few times and everything is better.

Since then I've stripped off the mud flaps, added another tow hook (even though only one is needed) and rhino lined the bed. I'll update later with my interior build, all mud proof inside . Current look.

Then the interior. When I bought it, it had no radio, was tan green and brown inside, had a bench seat, and rotted floor vinyl. So I installed a radio, dropped in bench seats, a center console with cup holders (spit cup holders I should say), cleaned up the door and dash vinyl, ripped out the flooring, and built a speaker box for two 3x9 speakers. Then I Rhino lined the whole interior and my speaker box and cleaned up all the vinyl. Pics...

And earlier today (12/3/09) My and Cody (BackGateYota92) were out of school due to snow and were bored. So this lead us to head to Lowe's, buy some expanded metal and rig up some red neck grill inserts with our metal snips. Not bad looking for 5 bucks ha.

Last edited by Mazzola; 02-03-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey bud looks good
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM

looking great man. how's that paint holding up? i love budget paint jobs...mostly because i'm always on a budget. keep us up to date on mods and wheeling adventures.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM

it looks good but it really needs bj spacers and a 1 or 2" body lift. lol
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice man! You got a SICK ass deal on those trucks dude! Congrats on getting her back and restored to live again.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 AM

I'm not putting a lift Cody! and thanks idayota. We did it so we can just repaint it anytime we want. We have enough paint for 2 more jobs. Figure I don't have to worry about scratching her in the woods if I do it myself. And thanks 881stGenRunner I've only got $1,300 and all into this truck right now lol. Including the tires and rims. My wallet feels great.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Hmm, that should leave you with about $1700 right?? Get an aussie locker or lock-rite for the rear end of that thing and youd be good to go for awhile! Maybe a real front bumper that can take a winch? Ha man i wish i had that kind of money in my wallet!! Just wait til you get to college, haha the funds drop SEVERELY!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm not sure how much exactly. I've had speeding ticket, girlfriend, bought new tv and I get gass just about every two days as much as I drive lol. when I start working again this spring expect alot more though.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Ha i know exactly what youre saying man. especially the GF and Fuel part of it!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mazzola

Then the interior. When I bought it, it had no radio, was tan green and brown inside, had a bench seat, and rotted floor vinyl. So I installed a radio, dropped in bench seats, a center console with cup holders (spit cup holders I should say), cleaned up the door and dash vinyl, ripped out the flooring, and built a speaker box for two 3x9 speakers. Then I Rhino lined the whole interior and my speaker box and cleaned up all the vinyl. Pics...

And earlier today (12/3/09) My and Cody (BackGateYota92) were out of school due to snow and were bored. So this lead us to head to Lowe's, buy some expanded metal and rig up some red neck grill inserts with our metal snips. Not bad looking for 5 bucks ha.

^ Just added to my post. I totally lost my license plate in a ditch last night too lol.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 AM

Welded in a rollbar, expect lights soon.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM

haha welds look great. lol
Old 04-21-2010, 11:25 AM

god i hope thats your g/f purse!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM

haha dont worry its his g/f purse. mazzola lives in my neighborhood and has done tons of work to get the truck to where its at now. its one bad unit for sure
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Looks good, I like the transfer case shifter knob
Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 AM

Ha pepboys, and yes it's my girlfriends purse lol.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
very nice work guys.

like the cheap paint job, looks real good.....even if it looked bad, it would be a great job to have some fresh paint on the truck..

2nd of all, you are a lucky guy....you tripped across not one, but 2 trucks.....for this I hate you.

i like the pushbar straightening technique of ramming a tree.

keep up the good work.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Ha thank you 92 toy. I'm looking for a trailhead bumper anyway so I won't have that pushbar for long. And sadly I sold the old little truck for money for the engine rebuild of the big one. But BackGateYota said he saw it the other day one town over and it looks really good.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
as long as it went to a good owner.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:51 PM

ya it for sure went to a good owner it looked real clean. this truck is gonna be sick with the trail gear bomper and bj spacers. lol

Quick Reply: Mazzola'a 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread