86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Lifting suspension (OME) and body for bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Lifting suspension (OME) and body for bumper

Where to start... long time reader first time poster... 1993 xtra cab 22re 4x4 manual california truck from mother in law, had it bone stock for 2 years then I was gifted 31" tires and started offroading for reasons other than sweet camping spots. Got a sweet chunk of stainless at the brewery I work for that looked like a killer bumper and so now it begins.

Eventually, chunk of stainless, you will live here.
Unfortunately, stainless is heavy (that thing weighs 90 lbs.) and my rear was sagging bad so first suspension has to be fixed.

A few phone calls and Rocky road outfitters got my patronage, ordered complete heavy duty kit, a couple months of waiting and all came through. Only small issue was lack of extra sleeve for rear shackle and accidently sent anti inversion plates that are not needed/wouldn't fit.

Truck goes up
Off with the wheels
Umm...nope not happening
By the way anybody that wants to lift their truck, at this point I would recommend the body lift first. While I have not done the planned 1" body lift yet, I think removing the front torsion bars would have been a lot easier with an extra inch of clearance from the cab, oh and a friend helps.

So I finished up but not before noticing "stuff" leaking all over my wheel. I am banking on a bad axel seal. I figured might as well do both sides, I ordered "eco" seals from Marlin Crawler and because I have to go through the trouble of doing the seals I ordered bearings, and will be putting on some cheap drum shoes from NAPA just because.

No more saggy rear.
So much more daylight under there.
Front is actually 1" lower than rear measured from rim to wheel well.
Oh yea, my rear end went up 6!! inches with the 2.5" OME lift. I cranked the torsion bars in the front a bit and it gained an inch, but is lower than the rear by an inch, we'll see how it settles out.

Ok so now that the suspension is fixed and can support the weight of the future bumper I realized I should do the body lift first to make it all look nice the first time. Tomorrow is a new day and I will be doing the rear hub seals/bearings/brake shoes and body lift AND if I am fast enough also be welding up the brackets for this bumper!

Yes it is 5 inches wider than the truck over all, but it was free and I am not emotionally ready to cut it.
With luck I will have an amazing start to my summer of 4 wheeling and you will get to see an interesting Toyota bumper build.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Nice truck!!! Gonna be sweet. Easier to remove material than add it. Since you Offroad watch angle of CV shafts. They'll grenade quickly think max operational angle is 21-22*. You can press out studs on dif flanges and use grade 10 metric bolts to hold CVs to dif flanges. Makes swapping out CV axles a breeze, like 20-30 min. Lots cheaper than SAS.

Last edited by muddpigg; 06-24-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Bumper on truck!

Well as so often in life, my plans got a little delayed. The rear bearings did not want to come out so I decided to simply replace the leaking rear seal and not destroy the drum brake plate trying to press out the bearing. The body lift went smooth, albit a second hand would have sped up the process immensely. So on to the point of the post.

kegs make great support blocks
Once I got it pretty much where I wanted it, I made some attachment hardware and began the tricky part. Quick trace of the stock mounting holes
This will translate the hole locations to the stainless bar
Stainless bars tacked to the bumper to check fit
Old 07-02-2017, 09:21 AM

Woops posted a little fast. I still have not made a decision on the blinkers. Comparing it to my friends 4runner
Less of a functional bumper, more of a battering ram.
My buddy checking out the hardware.My favorite thing about this last image is the approach angle. I think by having the bumper this high and tight I did not compromise approach. Hopefully I will find a winch to slap on there by the end of summer, I'd love to put lockers in but decent used winch can be had for a few hundred. I fear lockers are going to be a big spend, I'll want to re-gear at that time which means doing the front and the back. I am leaning to lockers before adding a transfer case, thoughts?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Quite the conversation piece I'm sure!
I notice it appears you have a 1" lift kit, with poly replacement bushings? Where'd you get those? Is that just a 1" lift, ordered with a replacement stock but the urethane/whatever normal bushings?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:47 AM

I first looked at 4crawler's (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml) options and then saw that McMaster Carr sold 2.5" UHMW rod for cheap. I ordered and cut down to 1 inch lengths with a sawsall and drilled holes, easy, and orded a body bushing kit from Marlin Crawler. The hardest part was getting the correct hardware, they didn't have it at home depot.