86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ironmaidn23's 1989 yota 4runner build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Location: HUNTERSVILLE/CHARLOTTE/LINCOLNTON, GOOD OL NORTH CAROLINA!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
RICER! clean truck, but not really what a 4x4 is meant for.
apreciate the clean truck comment, but read the comment above this one,
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ironmaidn23
well yea that one part i said i dont even know what i was trying to say.. but anyway,, im not even trying to be a ricer... the tuner muffler sounds real good and its real cheap... looks pretty cool on a truck becuase of the big inlets.. i have a catback also.. 2.5inch pipe... and i think if i got some t4r or TRD decals it would make it less ricerish dont you think? trust me im not looking for the ricer look.. give me another chance if you think this thing looks ricerish by this weekend when i post pictures, ill just have to take some drastic measures....man im 17 haha what do you want from me bro?
More decals are not going to help the situation at all. Probably just make it worse.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me ask you a question, do you ever plan on taking this 4Runner offroad?

If not that's understandable (my 95' once the swap is done will be a street queen, my 86' is my fun toy.)

But if you don't want to take it offroad then don't do a lift, all that will do is decrease your gas mileage, and since you're 17 you probably don't have tons of money to be throwing away for gas anyway.

Last edited by Swimmerboy2112; 04-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Dude i hate to say it, but if it's what YOUR happy with go for it!!! But... like everyone else here has said, it's not "our thang". That being said post all the pics and comments you want but dont expect alot of feed back. Your 17 which means your taste in what is "cool vs. functional" will change 20 times in the next 5 years LOL. I feel kinda bad that you asked for another chance... shouldnt have to do that. Stick around and enjoy your yoda man..have fun with it and welcome to yotatech
Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well yea that one part i said i dont even know what i was trying to say.. but anyway,, im not even trying to be a ricer... the tuner muffler sounds real good and its real cheap... looks pretty cool on a truck becuase of the big inlets.. i have a catback also.. 2.5inch pipe... and i think if i got some t4r or TRD decals it would make it less ricerish dont you think? trust me im not looking for the ricer look.. give me another chance if you think this thing looks ricerish by this weekend when i post pictures, ill just have to take some drastic measures....man im 17 haha what do you want from me bro?
I don't see what being 17 has to do with anything. I'm in college and not much older than you, and there are quite a few guys your age one this site; these trucks make great first vehicles. And if you're dropping $1K on paint for a truck with an immaculate body already, your age doesn't seem to affect your ability to spend money.

You want my advice? Forget the $1000 paint job. The body already looks great. Spend $600 of it on a nice set of 31" all-terrains, and the remainder on a bumper. Those will look good at at the mall, and if you ever end up wheeling they'll help even more!

I'm normally all for TRD decals, I have a set myself on my truck, but combined with the rest of the truck, it might not be the best idea right now IMHO. Like someone said, they'd probably only make it worse.

BTW, I do like your intake!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 PM

to each his own. some on here dont like tht stuff but sum do, this is your build thread do what ever you want. but responses may be slow. i've had my build thread for 6 months and the responses didnt really start coming till like 2 months ago.
so tht in mind good luck and will wait to see more
Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Haters gonna hate!! Lol.. JK!
It's your truck man, do what you want with it. I feel you on trying to preserve it, not too many nice ones rolling around anymore. They're either rusted away or lookin like raisins!
Of course, there are those owners who find the right balance between function and looks.That's were my build is headed; I wanna perform good on mild trails and steal the attention at the local mall, lol.
I don't flame you for the decals, LEDs, taillights, etc. Hell, I did all those to my truck!(I even went crazy with a red spray can,lol) But, after a couple of years here on the boards I learned how to "tastefully" mod my rig with what's important and needed. For example, not to long from now I'll be throwing in a small lift along with 33s and gears to push them(maybe a locker as well). A couple months ago I was thinking a flashy paint job first. ( Im still planning on a paintjob and eventually will, just not as flashy) You had a pretty straight body and paint from what I could see in the pics I would've seen that money elsewhere.

Like mentioned: YOUR OPINION IS ABOVE all others.
( you'll grow out of it soon enough, I did)

Sweet Runner by the way! I see it's fully loaded: power windows/mirrors/ sr5 door panels/ sunroof...

Last edited by streetlancer; 04-05-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Good lord, why bash the young mans truck? Im curious to know what many of you here's first vehicles looked like and how much $$ you may have thrown at it. Knowing now it was a waste to you, your memory of your first vehcile would have it no other way.

There are hundreds of the same build threads on this site, what will it hurt to have a young man clean up a 4 runner and put a few LED's inside?

If we were all "honest" as stated earlier then we would bash the retarded "engineering" made available on here daily, much less the $$ thrown at complete rust buckets.

What we have here is a future gear head with more than likely limited funds. $1000 paint job? I cant count the amount of walmart rattle can paint jobs ive seen here already, yet no negative comments are made.

As for your rig, what ever makes you like and enjoy your truck, feel free to mod away.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
Good lord, why bash the young mans truck? Im curious to know what many of you here's first vehicles looked like and how much $$ you may have thrown at it. Knowing now it was a waste to you, your memory of your first vehcile would have it no other way.

There are hundreds of the same build threads on this site, what will it hurt to have a young man clean up a 4 runner and put a few LED's inside?

If we were all "honest" as stated earlier then we would bash the retarded "engineering" made available on here daily, much less the $$ thrown at complete rust buckets.

What we have here is a future gear head with more than likely limited funds. $1000 paint job? I cant count the amount of walmart rattle can paint jobs ive seen here already, yet no negative comments are made.

As for your rig, what ever makes you like and enjoy your truck, feel free to mod away.
True, but if I had the chance to do it all over again it would be nice to have a place like this (with so much useful information) so I did not waste so much money.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 PM

I threw money at my ole 84 CRX. Booming stereo, Hammer wheels, headlight covers, chrome tip exhaust etc etc...

That POS broke down every other week, but I cant tell you how much tail I got in that car, the countless bluelights in the rear view, amazing ditch jumps after loosing it around a turn, mail box baseball; hell, I even drug a port-a-potty from the rear recovery hook for miles until it fell apart.

Looking back at the $$ I dropped on that POS vs. the memories I got out of it, I would have it no other way.

Besides, I havent really seen him 'waste' any money on his 4 runner yet. He wants the lights, he likes the exhaust tip and yes he is spending a grand on a paint job but when done he will smile and dig his truck even more.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
I don't see what being 17 has to do with anything. I'm in college and not much older than you, and there are quite a few guys your age one this site; these trucks make great first vehicles. And if you're dropping $1K on paint for a truck with an immaculate body already, your age doesn't seem to affect your ability to spend money.

You want my advice? Forget the $1000 paint job. The body already looks great. Spend $600 of it on a nice set of 31" all-terrains, and the remainder on a bumper. Those will look good at at the mall, and if you ever end up wheeling they'll help even more!

I'm normally all for TRD decals, I have a set myself on my truck, but combined with the rest of the truck, it might not be the best idea right now IMHO. Like someone said, they'd probably only make it worse.

BTW, I do like your intake!
well when my dad offers to pay for a $1000 paint job would you not go for it? thats one thing i dident pay for, he was gonna put $1000 in the gmc before he traded it for this for me, so he said the heck well get it painted. its been a fun father son project to really bonded with my dad alot. and if i got the TRD decals i would remove the streetglow.. and i do plan on getting some sliders and a new bumper,, if you ever heard of the guy Dirtco on here i love his custom made bumper
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Let me ask you a question, do you ever plan on taking this 4Runner offroad?

If not that's understandable (my 95' once the swap is done will be a street queen, my 86' is my fun toy.)

But if you don't want to take it offroad then don't do a lift, all that will do is decrease your gas mileage, and since you're 17 you probably don't have tons of money to be throwing away for gas anyway.
i plan on doin some offroadin man, why have a 4x4 then? lol just most of the time it wil be a street queen and a weekend off roader haha
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by S.Skinner
Dude i hate to say it, but if it's what YOUR happy with go for it!!! But... like everyone else here has said, it's not "our thang". That being said post all the pics and comments you want but dont expect alot of feed back. Your 17 which means your taste in what is "cool vs. functional" will change 20 times in the next 5 years LOL. I feel kinda bad that you asked for another chance... shouldnt have to do that. Stick around and enjoy your yoda man..have fun with it and welcome to yotatech
well thanks alot, i appreciate that, and yea im into the tuner thing a little bit but still love the offroad style. and i love al your guys runners, mine just hasent gotten there yet lol.. the runner was not my first choice of a car. but its grown on me ALOT and i love evrything about it
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM

i plan on doin some offroadin man, why have a 4x4 then? lol just most of the time it wil be a street queen and a weekend off roader haha
Might as well ditch the lift and get yourself a set of 31x10.50's so you don't lose gas mileage but you'd still have a very capable off road rig.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM

I threw money at my ole 84 CRX. Booming stereo, Hammer wheels, headlight covers, chrome tip exhaust etc etc...

That POS broke down every other week, but I cant tell you how much tail I got in that car, the countless bluelights in the rear view, amazing ditch jumps after loosing it around a turn, mail box baseball; hell, I even drug a port-a-potty from the rear recovery hook for miles until it fell apart.

Looking back at the $$ I dropped on that POS vs. the memories I got out of it, I would have it no other way.

Besides, I havent really seen him 'waste' any money on his 4 runner yet. He wants the lights, he likes the exhaust tip and yes he is spending a grand on a paint job but when done he will smile and dig his truck even more.
haha thanks man love the tail comment, already got a few girls check it out already haha
Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Might as well ditch the lift and get yourself a set of 31x10.50's so you don't lose gas mileage but you'd still have a very capable off road rig.

yea that would be cool im lookin at the bf goodrich stuff
Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 PM

i agree 100% and my dad paying for the paint job boy we had to work for it lol.. and the alien dude above loves to attack people on their youtube ask him about it, lol
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 PM

I didnt know this was a combined project with you and your dad. That is awesome.

I bought my 94 Xcab for my son (who is 14 this year) so we can wrench on it over the next few years.

As long as his grades stay above par, its his truck.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM

yea that would be cool im lookin at the bf goodrich stuff
Now you're thinking!

Quick Reply: Ironmaidn23's 1989 yota 4runner build thread!