86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Germans don't work on older cars, any advice for superior German mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germans don't work on older cars, any advice for superior German mechanics?

Hello, shipped my 95 4runner to Germany with me annnnnd I have discovered that in Germany, they don't know what to do unless they have a computer telling them what to do. It has been many months and I still cannot get this truck running right. My 95 Toyo 3vze, w/ 100k miles, one day wasn't running right. Struggling and rough sounding and feeling. Shortly after I popped the CEL. Code was for knock sensor/misfire. Took it to what I thought was a trusted versatile mechanic.... Well, he put in new plugs and wires and said its g2g. I drove about 6 miles and the entire way into work she was lugging and stumbling and the idle was all over the place, then I popped 2 more codes. The new code was for the EGR. Well, look at that the wire to the EGR valve has been mysteriously severed and two hose are unplugged. Put the new EGR sensor on refit the hoses that miraculously came off annnd no change in behavior, but the EGR senor code was gone. Took it to another shop, she started to stall out when I would release my foot from accelerator. Very dangerous on the autobahn. New trusted versatile mechanic adjusted timing and replaced the distributor then said it was g2g. NOPE! popped a whole new code on the way home, felt like I was towing 30 ft camper uphill. This time the code was air/fuel mix ratio. Brought it back to which the reply was
"we do not know, maybe spark plugs".
"the plugs are brand new"
"maybe it is damaged"
"have you pulled them out to inspect them"
"there is no way to do this and know for sure, must replace all"
"mmmmm k, what about the fuel injectors? Have you looked at those"
"Again how will we know which one is failing, will need big machine to test, we do not have, very expensive."

So, now after 2 months and new plugs and wires and distributer and timing, I still have a truck that is misfiring at 0-5mph and 45-60 mph. Sounds like ˟˟˟˟ at idle and the idle is all over the place. Currently no CEL. Also the sound of the radiator fluid was constant after picking it up from Herr Genius. Maybe nothing but it was not a normal to listen to the sound of running water for a 25 min drive home.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2023, 11:31 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Is the knock sensor code still there? Did that ever get fixed? Even if the light is not on, there may still be codes stored.

Sounds like you may have to get a factory service manual and dive in your self before they continue to mess it up.

Just tell them its a Volkswagen Taro, and then they should be able to fix it. lol.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (06-01-2023)