86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

the dragons 88 runner buildup/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey all yes omg its the dragon the runner is back running thanks to rad4 i needed a bit of help but together we got it damn electrical issues but lets back up a bit hmm past two months have been utter hell

house issues money you name it its gone wrong then truck alternator goes out well it was to be expected ive never replaced it on this truck so luck out an get a higher amp one for less than the standard one since im running H4 headlights figure hey this is a good thing putting in the alternator i get coolant in the eye looking up the core of my original radiator around the outlet is rotted one touch an the copper n brass crumbled ugh finish the alternator

off to the land of ebay i try three of the ones they say are for the 4cyl BULL they dont fit either the shroud wont bolt on or if it does it hits the fan, the flange on one was totally wrong IE:three weeks of lost time so i think ya know what F it i go measure the v6 radiator lo n behold it should fit i order up a full aluminum 3 core one it does fit almost its a bit taller at the core the cap has to be a short one and need to modify the hood rib a bit to fit (read hammer) but other than needing to make a hole for one bolt to hold the fan shroud on the others fit perfectly all else lines right up

but i guess it was a bit too late within a week the right rear corner of the head gasket failed couldnt take the full pressure of the coolant? i dont know so into the engine i dove yep popped the seal ring on the #4 cyl to the coolant passage and outside it was puttering out near the firewall but sigh after replacing that new head bolts getting the thing all bolted back together EGR pipe broke

yes im getting tired you tired yet?

i got a replacement egr valve got the pipe cleaned of the broken bit which was stuck in the threads (pipe that feeds into the upper plenum) thats installed YAY crank engine over just checking for fuel leaks go to try a bit more clunk.....nothing wtf?

ugh (insert list of rude bad words here) i go round check the obvious an then the not so obvious still nothing she wont crank over

ok i message terry87 no response waited a week
i look up various things it could be here on the forum an send off for a kit to rebuild the starter solenoid as it seems to be a regular culprit an i havent done nothing with it since i got the truck glad i did the one terminal inside it was baddy eroded it bent with a gentle finger push so that rebuilt reinstalled and!

nothing.....

oh the cussing was epic im sure a few truckers would have blushed i was just pissed i cant even start testing if i cant get her to crank! i get a hold of rad4 an it was a combo of bad connection and dirty terminals the connection had to be replaced but that done a bit of distributor adjusting she fired right over (i was off a couple teeth on the dist) im 50 years old damn younger truck kicking my butt

tomorrow refill the coolant get the thing nose high get any air out of it let her warm up set the timing put the hood back on and the belly pan

ow my back....
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:13 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
She Lives!
Tnx for the info on V6 radiator. Please keep us posted on how that does because my engine runs hotter than normal in the summer running up hills.
I left Terry a how are you post on his build thread.

Greetings from where LC70 sightings are frequent ...

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-14-2019 at 01:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (08-14-2019)