86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Delta One's 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta One's 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

I thought some of you guys might like to see this so here we go. Enjoy the read.
Well I bought my first car about 2.5 months before I got my license. It was a Subaru Impreza OBS Wagon, 2002. The car was close to approaching all modded for a naturally aspirated car with about 195 N/A Hp.
I loved every second of owning it and enjoyed driving the freeways and maneuvering traffic. But I wanted a change so I let it go.
Pic below.

Now I had an idea what I wanted to get to replace the subie, and that was a truck. I wanted something more oriented to commuting down the 405 rush hour, so an auto trans preferably. I knew Subaru was well built so I couldn’t improve much there.
I did the homework and it came down to a Toyota (why not stick to the same company huh?) I would have liked an early 90s Taco, but here in SoCal the prices are just too much on a used yota truck. After some frustration of not having a vehicle, I decided to widen my scope. I settled on an 80s Hilux Pickup.
I wanted auto(kind of), extended cab, 22re etc. But most importantly, 4x4.
Literally seconds after coming to the conclusion I found the one I wanted. It was based in Alhambra and was 4x4, an 86, auto trans, for the right price. It has a rebuilt 22RE engine, and completely new everything. The previous owner was selling it cause he couldn’t put it the use it deserved.
After negotiating I was able to take it home for the right price.
Here it is the day I bought it.

The plan was to make it a daily driver, that would be a good fun 4x4 experience. With a lot of tactical flare thrown in.

to be continued...

Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM

The day after I bought it I started the changes. I started with an oil change and the day after that, started painting. I wanted an Olive Drab Megaforce truck. So I created a manifesto and started the process.

Rain put a hamper on the exterior painting of the vehicle so I was bored and decided to jump the manifesto. I decided to just straight up attack the interior and start it earlier than planned. And work in the rain continued.

I replaced the brakes and wanted a new interior fabric. I purchased some Civic bucket seats from the junkyard and proceeded to cover them with 1000D Brown Cordura. Durable, water resistant, durable, easy to clean, did I mention durable?

The next day the sun returned and I finished the paint, for now. More coats can be applied later. But I did several coats with Krylon Ultra-Flat Camo Paint. I washed then sanded the whole truck. Painted it, then sanded the first coat and painted again. I then painted a third coat over the second as a sealant.

Thought I had more pictures but I don't.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Well as I mention earlier, the interior in my mind needed a revamp. This began with ripping out the old vinyl flooring. It was held on by carpet padding and this tar like substance. It was quite the task to remove this and get the floor clean. But after a day of hard work (in the rain) it came together.

After I had it all clean and ready I waited for the rain to clear and then I coated the interior with Durabak/Herculiner. I wanted a rough exterior feel to it, that I could hose down to clean it out. I applied 2 coats over the whole floor and the final result was one that I am happy with.

I then made covers for my new seats and recovered the door panels. I added MOLLE/PALS webbing to the panels and visors to enable more storage. Since this truck is severely lacking in anything for storage. This would allow me to attach pouches as I saw fit.

This would finish the interior…more to come later

I added brand new BFG All Terrains all the way around and installed Bilstein HD shocks also. This would solidify my suspension for now. I'll probably be replacing leaf springs later on. But for now it's good. The shocks evened out the lift and propped the cab up another inch.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Hey nice work so far.
What size BFG's did you put on? I painted a subaru legacy station wagon that EXACT color a couple years back. That Krylon Ultra-Flat is some good stuff.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Looks great! can never get enough of the green olive painted trucks, nice work
Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM

They're 235s, I wanted to get 30s but they were just to much at this point, probably my next set.

Onto week 2 of the manifesto, things were moving great and lots of progress was being made. I took the truck into get smogged, and then went over to Desolate Motorsports. I dealt with Greg through a friend and we worked out a deal to do both a roll bar and a tubular rear bumper for a good price.
I also picked up some offroad lights (temporary until I can pick up some KC lights) and used some covers a friend gave me.
I took it in and came back like this.

I then went and had tint done to smoke it up just a little bit. I had pretty dark tint on my Subaru and this was no change. I added some Magpul and Oakley decals, easily adding 50hp to the wheels.

Here's a pic doing a little bit of fun in the rain.

Now to complete the bed I went over and got a spray in liner from Armando at Protecot‎. This would complete the look of the truck for now.

Last edited by Delta One; 03-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
helluva a transformation for someone who just got into toyota's. looks good... good work.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM

looks great. keep it up.
How much did you get the roll cage and tubular bumper for?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice work man!! Looks great!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Nice work, how do you like the auto trans?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the comment guys!

Yeah I had a vision of what I wanted and was able to materialize it. Hopefully I'll get some good shots of it tomorrow.

I got the roll bar and bumper for 400, done in a day. Both of very solid construction. Probably gonna get rocksliders done by Desolate Motorsports to.

I like the auto in traffic and climbing, but I liked the manual also. Love one and the love the other you know?

I installed new bushings on the shift lever to tighten it up, it was very loose before, now it's solid as a rock.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM

it looks like you used some kinda texture paint on the floor of your cab? is that roll on stuff or spray? if its roll on i want to use that same stuff in the bed of my truck and on the lower portions of my truck for rocks, brush, and foriegn objects

Ps i used to have a flat olive job too haha! krylon primer lays on so ing smooth just painted mine yesterday all black... gloss black grill and all handles looks sweet check it out...
Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM

It Herculiner or Durabak roll on bed liner. I got the rear sprayed so it would last longer, but for the cab, it's great. Just hose down for the clean-up. I got the tip from another guy with a Samurai.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Nice job man, SICK RIG!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Love what you did with it how hard was it to remove the window moldings and the glass strip on the doors when u painted it?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Looking Really Good! I'm guessing you're going to be taking it on some trails? Can't wait to see pics if you do!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Yeah I'll definitely going to be having some fun with it. Probably tomorrow i'm going to go to the local spot.

I removed some stuff but 90% I simply masked off. I wasn't trying
to create a beauty queen here so it didn't have to be perfect. But I did remove what was easy, and the weather stripping on the doors and windows was. All you do is pop the door panel off, and the inside strip comes off, roll down the window and the other is clipped in.

Also looking into exhaust systems, thinking about a Flowmaster.
Any thoughts or helpful tips? Kind of new to Toyota sounds.

Last edited by Delta One; 03-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.