86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

chrishf12's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrishf12's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread

*I AM TRYING TO KEEP THE FIRST POST UPDATED!* there are more info and specs found in the thread.

So here is my not so new truck. Plans are to get it into presentable condition then start the basic mods. Nothing drastic, just a few improvements.

1990 Toyota SR5 Ext Cab Pickup
260k miles on truck
3.0 V6 130k on motor
5 speed
235/65 R15 roadies

Fixer Upper

The day we brought her home.
Completely stock, NASTY, and in need of quite a bit of work.

The Good Side...

The Bad Side...

And The Nasty...

[/QUOTE]

Needs work but those are the kind I like! Ive only had one day to work on it so far but hopefully more to come soon being in college slows things down a bunch!

So far I have ditched the running boards and the carpet and seats have been pulled and washed. It came surprisingly clean considering some of the grease spots in it. Dash has been pulled apart to correctly hook up the radio, clean out the fan and a few other things.

Ill try to get some pics when I get home this weekend. I'm ready to get away from all this school work for a while and get to work on it (good stress reliever)!

Cleaned out the Interior Completely

My Uncle had an extra muffler laying around at his shop that he was going to put on his 68 mustang but it was too big so he gave it to me. Gotta love that free stuff.

Its a stock GM muffler that we semi-gutted. I went and had it installed this evening, its exactly what I was looking for gives a good tone but not loud at all. Its actually hard to hear sitting in the cab with the windows up. I was really happy to get rid of the ugly old muffler that I had to wire up to the chassis.

Pic Update Sorry about the cell phone pics..

Heres a pic of my tie rod end that was drove on for 3 1/2 hours could have been ugly..

Ok so The body work begins, paint is just around the corner. To start out I replaced my fender and fixed where the grill was jacked up by the bumper.

Running boards removed, old tint scraped off, CB and Antenna installed, New Headlights, and a better looking front end!

My next weekend project is to fix the dent in the side of the bed and a few hail dents in the hood. Then I can remove the graphics and give her some fresh black paint. Its slowly coming together.

Found a Toolbox on CL for $60 it needed some work but nothing a few hours wouldnt fix.

Roll In Bedliner Finished and Toolbox installed

Dent popped out and Graphics removed

^^Mud Graphics^^ I thought it looked pretty neat! ha

Body work started dents have been bondoed primered and glazed waiting for a final sanding and coat of primer. Then just have to wet sand and spray it. My new tires and wheels found their way on in the process also 32x11.5 BFGs

These are horrible shots because of my phone but they should give you an idea of the stance.

Truck has been sanded and is ready for paint but for some reason I keep running into roadblocks... Currently sitting on jack stands waiting on lower ball joints, CV axles, rotors.

To make it worse genius at the dealership backed over a car when I took it in for the steering rod recall. MORE FREKIN BODYWORK so ready to get this thing where I can just jump in and drive it.

Last edited by chrishf12; 09-22-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
not in too bad of shape!

the PS stop leak in the center consol is not a good sign, lol, considering you don't use POWER STEERING FLUID in these trucks but eh, not every preious owner is Toyota knowledgable

looks like with a little bit of cleaning, and a little hammering on the body, she'll be good to go!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Ha its PS fluid and brake fluid to top off before the 3 hr ride home. I'm pretty sure that the PO only used PS fluid in it anyways. She surprised me running 80 and 85 mph smoothly on the way home.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
well you're suppose to use ATF in the PS system, you now this right?

look on the PS resevior cap

or are the V6's different and say they use actual PS fluid...
Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nasty interior....Id just rip that out and bed line it. lol. Outside doesnt look too bad...
Old 10-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Yes you are correct it is supposed to be Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Thats all I ever used on my reg cab '90. This is the case in all the Toyota's up to 95 that I know of, I am not sure if they switched over on their later models. My 4runner has not been low yet so I have not payed to much attention to what goes in it.

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Nasty interior....Id just rip that out and bed line it. lol. Outside doesnt look too bad...
The carpet came really clean the rear floorboards are back to the original grey. The only stains that are left will be covered up by the floormats. The seats actually changed back to grey after all the dust was washed out of them.

Last edited by chrishf12; 10-15-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice man! Got your link from my build thread. You've definitely got some work ahead of you but it's doable. I'd say the biggest pain will be the body work if you want to straighten the frame, then paint it. My build thread is way way behind from where I'm at, but I just spent a solid week of 3-4 hours a day fixing my truck's lines, removing rust, filling dents, holes, etc. Most of yours could be straightened out with a screw-in puller (Bondo makes one), or you just might want to replace that passenger front fender panel altogether.

I'll be watching, and congrats!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Monochrome
Nice man! Got your link from my build thread. You've definitely got some work ahead of you but it's doable. I'd say the biggest pain will be the body work if you want to straighten the frame, then paint it. My build thread is way way behind from where I'm at, but I just spent a solid week of 3-4 hours a day fixing my truck's lines, removing rust, filling dents, holes, etc. Most of yours could be straightened out with a screw-in puller (Bondo makes one), or you just might want to replace that passenger front fender panel altogether.

I'll be watching, and congrats!

10-4! My great uncle has owned his own body shop for almost 40 years now. So now that I have a project of my own, its my turn to learn how to do some of the stuff I have watched him do over the years. I got lucky on the family side, my other uncle deals used diesels and does a lot of service work for various business vehicles so I learned a lot working for him during high school.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Ok made a little progress this weekend! Unfortunately destroyed a few things to.

I accidentally broke the DS door handle trying to get the lock out...so instead of getting a key made to the lock, its new door handles from the junkyard. Most of the interior is back in minus the seats they have a date to be re-upholstered. Rewired the radio from the mess the PO made. Fixed the cupholder, one of the most important parts! ha

Need to make a trip to the junkyard this week for a long list of parts. Then hopefully I can speed up the progress a little.

Sorry forgot the pics again..ill get a few up soon.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM

Looks like it will be a nice little project. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM

prolly a dumb question but why is the 4x4 shifter on the right im just getting into yotas I have a 84 and its on the left
Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by flatyota
prolly a dumb question but why is the 4x4 shifter on the right im just getting into yotas I have a 84 and its on the left
Good Question!?!? I have no clue, in both my pickups the Tcase shifter have been on the right and in my 98 4runner its is on the left.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:42 PM

After a trip to the junkyard Wednesday I piled of quite a bit of things to do today on my short trip back home. Here is a look at what I have been up to last weekend and today. As I said the interior is nice and shiny now! Finally got rid of the misc. blue interior pieces someone put in besides the steering wheel and door handles.

Here are a few pics to compare to before.

BEFORE...

AFTER...

AND THATS THE SAME CARPET!!! Ha surprised me it came that clean. I am waiting on one of my uncles friends to get back from vacation so he can start on my front seats. He is going to reupholster them for me to get rid of the tears and cigarette burn holes all in them.

My Uncle had an extra muffler laying around at his shop that he was going to put on his 68 mustang but it was too big so he gave it to me. Gotta love that free stuff.

Its a stock GM muffler that we semi-gutted. I went and had it installed this evening, its exactly what I was looking for gives a good tone but not loud at all. Its actually hard to hear sitting in the cab with the windows up. I was really happy to get rid of the ugly old muffler that I had to wire up to the chassis.

With running boards removed... Ignore the missing door handle I accidentally broke it taking the lock out. I have to get the key code out of it because the ignition key wont fit either door handle. I am going to get a key made for the doors this week.

(^Exhaust has since been fixed also^)

I have also gave it a coat of paint on the underside to cover up the dirt and mud color and the few spots of surface rust. You cant really tell in the pics but I removed the old tint from the rear windows also. It had started bubbling up and looked like crap, so sometime soon I am going to have to tackle the front windows and get the scratched up tint off of them too. The one thing that I did not get done this weekend was fixing the parking brake. The guy at NAPA ordered the rear part of the cable that goes to the wheels, instead of the one that I needed that goes from the handle to the junction. Maybe one of these days haha.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 PM

Bad news for the day is that my CEL came on. Pulled the code 52 and the FSM says that its the knock sensor. Anyone know of common problems with the knock sensor on Toyota's that I should check??
Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Sorry for the slow thread ran into a few slow downs. I have had to replace the water pump and timing belt along with the idler arm and parking brake cable. Waiting for work to pick back up this spring so I can get some cash to throw at this thing. Maybe I can scrounge up enough to get it on the road soon.

Update:

After dad got the truck back together with the new water pump and timing belt it seems to have no bottom end power...im thinking that the timing belt is off by a tooth or two on one of the cam shaft pulleys. So I have to take it down and line everything up again.

Last edited by chrishf12; 11-26-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Ok I am a little behind on this thread now but ill try to catch everyone up.

Truck is up and running like new. I had to replace a few worn out steering components as the passenger side tie rod end was really loose. I hit it once with the ball joint separator and it came off the ball...that could have been really ugly if it would have happened going 60 miles per hour on the road.

I have since installed my own version of the ashtray cb mod and put license and insurance on the thing so i can actually drive it around legally. I have ordered a few body parts and other odds and ends to get this thing ready for paint in the next month or so. I'm currently waiting for my locks to come back from being re-keyed and then its off to the alignment shop.

I plan to start my off road mods this summer if everything goes ok and I don't sell the truck. Right now I want a similar setup to my other pickup so here is the list of goodies.

-BJ spacer and AALs for the lift probably going with the toytec kit this time since it has the long leaf aals
-33x12.50 or 32x11.50 mud terrains depends on which ones i can find cheaper
-aussie locker for the rear
-I want to build a rear bumper like the MC and All-Pro style but that will come later...

I scored a set of FREE 15x10 inch steel wheels that I may clean up to use until i get the cash for the ones I like. Once I find some tires that is. This thing is sucking away my money before I even get it, but I'm sure most of yall have the same problem as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Pic Update Sorry about the cell phone pics..

Heres a pic of my tie rod end that I mentioned earlier.

Ok so The body work begins, paint is just around the corner. To start out I replaced my fender and fixed where the grill was jacked up by the bumper.

My next weekend project is to fix the dent in the side of the bed and a few hail dents in the hood. Then I can remove the graphics and give her some fresh black paint. Its slowly coming together.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a set of wheels that would look GREAT on that truck man. if your interested, check out some of my pictures on my profile. the wheels i want to get rid of are the set of aluminum wheels on the extended cab truck. sweet ride man! i had to do the same with my carpet- the previous owner was a plumber/construction guy, and got in the truck with mud caked boots.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 AM

I appreciate the offer but I already have a set of wheels. Now a good set of 32in or 33in mud terrains sounds good lol. Im planning on getting more work done on this thing this summer when work picks back up so maybe ill have extra money to throw around then.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM

nice build brother! looks like you got a good start man alot better than mine was! lol what do you plan to end up with a stock DD or a crawler/mudder? 33s 35s im thinking 36s SAS single case 4.88s would look awesome lol thats what i wish i had done. i ended up bigger than i hoped but good luck man and if you need any help you can ask me i may be able to help i learned alot working on this truck good luck!

Quick Reply: chrishf12's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread