86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

bm87runner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bm87runner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

87 dlx 5spd 22re

So i got my runner from my grandpa who was the original owner, it took me a few years of proving to him that i can have it. After about three to four years i finally got my runner around april 2010, it had a pretty bad oil leak, oil was spraying on the hood and all over the belts which would eventually cause them to slip off, other than that it was in pretty decent shape. (nice front bumper, diff, tranny, and gas tank armor, skid plate, sliders(kinda), body and interior in nice shape and pretty much rust free

This is the mileage i decided to give her a new heart. 228,841.7

(front bumper and fender got messed up because a semi decided to turn to sharp )

i wish i had a picture from when i first got it...

First thing i decided to do with it, since its my dd right now is to put a stereo system in it. i have to kenwood tens (about to get upgraded real soon, to some boston g2's) in a nice dual band pass box and replaced all the other speakers with some bostons acoustics.

Then i installed a tac

My mother in law to be bought me some new tires for my birthday, some Falcon Landair H/T's 31.10.5 ( i need some bfg's or something though)
And my girlfriend got me some new zebra seat covers haha.

I was able to drive it for a few months until my clutch went out. This is how i became a yota guy! So instead of taking it to a shop or begging my parents to get it fixed for me i bought a clutch kit from autozone for 80 dollars and a hanes manual for like 12, did some research, got my hands dirty and had her running in two days. I thought it was really cool for only being 17 at the time and doing it all by myself. A few months later.... and who would of guessed, (my welcoming to the real world lol) some more problems. I started having really bad idling problems due to the broken dashpot and some torn vacuum lines and other adjustments. ended up costing about 300 bucks. Sweet got it running good again...... woooowww another problem... oil leak got to the point to were the belts wouldnt even stay on anymore, and i noticed i was loosing a lot of coolant.. GUESS WHAT?? (( CRACKED BLOCK, driver side of engine i was able to just watch all of my coolant come right out of this crack until it was empty and started overheating.
So what do i do know? do i get rid of this rig like any other ungratefull teenager would do? NO! i get to thinking and come up with a plan.... This is what i came up with... I promised my grandfather that no matter how much or how long its gonna take i am going to keep the runner running and never get rid of it, but more technical matter, my grandpa told me that 12 years ago he was in north or south dakota and they got stuck in a blizzard. He tried starting it and the block cracked, he put some bars stop leak or something in it and never had to think about it again... but i did hahah ughhh. So i thought hmm maybe i just buy another bottle of that stuff and give it a try, just deal with the oil leak. So i came up with my decision . I parked her in the garage and started saving up..

I got a second job, first job im a delivery driver for papa johns, second job is an orthodontist assistant. about five months later i came up with the money, ( took so long because i had to buy a little cheap car to drive so i could keep my job, but the tranny blew and costed me another 1500, and a few speeding tickets i had to pay.

I pulled the heart out of my baby and striped it down to bare block and head, labeling and bagging all the bolts, brackets, nuts, and cleaning and painting a lot of stuff. I took the core block and head and traded it for my new 22re . Just got my motor this week, (currently being april of 2011) and as of now this is where i am. I had them install my oil pump, front and rear seals, and timing chain just because im not that smart.. yet. So i put all the brackets on, fuel injection pipes, the intake manifold flywheel, had a little bit of trouble with my crank pulley. Pure sweet luck i stumbled on to yotatech and came across an awesome chef. haha who guided me with the help i needed, (thanks again man). Here is some pics of where im at as of this week. I cant do anything for a few ways due to a delay on my bolts i need from toyota, i need the fan to fan to water pump stud and nut, a 1/2 inch spacer for the motor mounts i ordered from 4xinnovations.com for 170 bucks after shipping (thanks adam) and a torque wrench so i can go around torquing up everything to specs, then drop the engine in the truck hook up some stuff and fuel injector harness, then i can put the upper intake on, some wires, vacuum lines finished up, and etc. Put fluids in my baby, say a quick prayer, turn my key and see what happens.
old engine

my little hand rag holder hahah

some vac lines

i think this is a few minutes after getting it back ( after i put a few things back on)

my upper intake manifold

some pipes

oil pan, fan, headers

the oil stick guid thing

hahaha so in the middle of doing the waterpump with a tiny box wrench, it slipped off and popped me right in the eye, the wrench flew all the way across the garage, i couldnt find it for a while lol

And as of today, the 11th this is where i am.

i just need a torque and some bolts like i said.

I just want to say before hand that if you took the time to read my build and have/had any input, ideas, advice, or help, i really really appreciate it. This is my first build i have ever done and im doing it alone, except from the help from you guys and im only 18 years old. Well im off to
Thank you,
Brandon
Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Woot! lol. Hey Brandon, hope all is well... got your PM and I'm takin it that, .....you're waiting on UPS>USPS>FEDEX, and maybe the Cabbage Delivery truck? hahaha.

Very much my pleasure to have helped at all, man... many helped me, and I'll gladly help more if I can! (glad you got that crank pulley/harmonic on there!)>> fhewwwwwww~! hahaha.

I'll be checking in,

Mark
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM

yes just waiting on bvsv and some bolts, mainly the torque wrench and a PAYCHECK! lol then she will be ready to go in. and yes a nice block of wood and hammer just wishing there was some more input from everyone thats checked it out.
thanks chef.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM

What kinda input you needing, Brandon? I'll gladly post a permalink in my build thread, Zuk Thread, etc. .....Just post a nice, organized list of what you're seeking out as info/resolutions you need, therein, ....And after you post that, I'll post a permalink to that post, not the first post in this thread, ya know? If I post the whole thread, you have 90% LESS chance that people will read through it all.... ADD I guess, hahahaha. Jk... you know what I mean, right? Just post that...... like

1. How do I
2. Where does the
3. Whosamawhatsit?

...type post and I'll gladly toss it up.

CAN'T BUMP it up until i know what you're asking for, exactly, ya know?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heyy suck about the cracked block, but glad to see you got a new one.

didnt paint the lower intaker or throttle body? haha just giving u a hard time.

good luck with anything and if you need help ill gladely help. i think ive torn and rebuilt 3 22RE's
Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 PM

Got ur message... GET CRACKIN WITH THAT UPDATE, M8! LOL. VERY happy for ya, man!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by twistedyota
heyy suck about the cracked block, but glad to see you got a new one.

didnt paint the lower intaker or throttle body? haha just giving u a hard time.

good luck with anything and if you need help ill gladely help. i think ive torn and rebuilt 3 22RE's
haha actually i was thinking about that but the thing that stopped me is im not very experienced. I didnt want to take off the fuel rails and stuff, i was scared of screwing something up. thanks man, i do have a question though maybe you and chef could help?

and chef i know man, im sorry i left you hanging.. i will have it all updated by sometime tomorrow

but whats happening is while driving, the brake and charge battery light will come on and stay on until i turn the truck off, but about a year ago the alternator belt broke off and then the lights came on, put a new one on and they turned off. But i have a brand new battery and alternator in there so im stuck :/

thanks guys
Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM

the charge light and brake light do indicate an alternator. it could be new and already be bad. i would take it off and have it checked

or is the belt tight? or the alternator? my last alternator upper bolt came loose and the whole alt would shift every once in a while. id double check on the belt for sur, because tht belt runs your water pump to. when mine shifted my wsater pump stop working and blew a head gasket.

Last edited by twistedyota; 07-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 PM

Also check the 80A fuse in the fusible link box by the battery.

Don't worry about it, Brandon, .... gotta do whatcha gotta do, I was just messin, lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM

Herro? lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Ty

Nice runner, keep up the good work.
Find that wrench and destroy it...lol
Hopefully its a craftsman so you can get another one....hah
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM

So about july sixth the day before my birthday, i got the engine in my truck hooked up all the vacuum lines blah blah all that good stuff and after about 15 minutes of adjusting the distributer she started right up and on the first crank every time after that. WOOOOOOO!!!! took it for a good test drive to make sure it didnt get too hot and to make sure everything sounded good. the next day i went to get a 10 day temp registration so i could take my girlfriend and friends to the lake, it was about an hour drive and i couldnt go over 55, it was soo hard not to haha with no a/c either. she stayed right below the middle on my temp gauge and drove like a champ there and back.
here is a few pics from nelsons landing, nevada

dont mind the weak hill.. i cant put it in 4x4 until my engine is broken in, about 150 more miles with no a/c, not able to go over 55, and no 4wheelin.
here is another one with a short video a day or so after we got back, you might wanna turn the volume down my phones crappy.

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/...0-13-03-19.mp4 (sorry its my first video while driving, not very good yet hah)
i dont know how to get videos to play on here yet so here is the link to the video, i have a few things to fix still. my grill and bumper is whats vibrating crazy in the video, i ripped out the grill and am going to order a new one soon and i just ordered my new front bumper from adam at 4xinnovations, i also got my 22re beefy motor mounts from him, (thanks). here is a picture but ill put up a new one when i get mine and put it on

winch mounts with 3 light tabs turn signal kit and shipping a wopping $561
a few more pics

future plans now that im working again,
winch
fix my saggy susp :/
tc long travel
aux gas tank
fix my driver door and window cranks
more to come.
thanks for checking it out guys
brandon
Old 07-24-2011, 10:25 AM

truck looks good. you sure did alot of work so far. should look into the Zuk mod if you want to fix the rear saggy on the cheap
Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM

thank you, its like everyday there is something new to fix though haha ugghhhh!
so i opened the hood this morning and the wire that goes on top of the alternator completely came out of the terminal and was all corroded and a blueish color, so i finally got that black plug thing that goes to the alternator off so i could have slack to clean the wire off.
this is were the wire snapped out of the terminal

and this is the old terminal

i went out searching for a new terminal because the old one was trash, i went to auto zone, orielly autoparts, and then finally to home depot were i found this terminal

got it on real quick started her up and went around the block (its not registered yet :/) came back turned it off, then started right back up.
FIXED IT once again
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM

Nice Work, Brandon!

Such a trip, I had that very mirror siding on my 86, which was also white, lol.

Is that cutie of yours in the Yotatech Ladies thread yet? hahaha.

REALLY happy for ya, B!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Angry

haha well were trying to get her a yota first but soon :p

soo a few days ago as i came up to this light, i down shifted into second (preparing to stop) but the light turned green and still in second i stepped on the gas but my rpm's were low so i was going real slow but ever since that my truck has a major loss of power and putts. i used to be able to get my tires to churp when the ground was dryyyy, but the day it happened it was raining... i couldnt even get the tires to spin. AT ALLL! then after that this happened twice, i drive to work (about 5 min away) and as soon as i pull in the parkinglot the check eng light came on, then on the way home it was off, did this the day right after too. but now there is even another problem, my truck is idling wayyyyyy to highhhh, its got to 2800 idling !!!!!!!!
i dont know how to make videos play on the site but if you please check out the links to my videos you can kinda see whats going on
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/...4-12-55-34.mp4
you can see the idle and hear the putting
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/...4-12-56-52.mp4
and in this one if i put it in gear and let off the clutch the idle will drop down until i either push it all the way in or release it

does anyone know were i can get new ones of these?^^^^^ the 4runner things
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/...4-13-21-49.mp4
in this one you can see it starts right up at 2 grand and you can definitely hear the putting
if any one has any idea why my truck is doing this please help im going crazy, and im leaning on taking her to a shop :/
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM

I will check back, later tonight.... Just have to wind down from the 350 or so mile trek, ya know? Sorry to hear, man..... But try to stay calm..... IT'S NOT going to elude you for too long, ok? Just have to run down the list.

What's the code? Engine light is a code....... my guess, off the top of my head would be a blown TPS, but that's TOTALLY a guess at this point. It could also be something within the throttle body on the mechanical end..... Plate-pivot arm..... and I've heard of Coolant Temp Sensors causing some strange idle up issues. Check the code and then we'll have something to go off(you really need that first, before we guess through all the symptoms, ya know?.......... Jump TE1 and E1 and turn the key to 'ON' just before start and then read the amount of flashes, all of them. Whether or not you have an eng. light at this point, remaining on, you need to see if it stored a code, ok?)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM

hey chef how was your trip man? I just got off work so im going to try to find out how to do thr te1 and e1 thing cause I have no idea, and the eng light has came on like four times but goes back off. (sorry for the short reply,... im on my cheap cricket phone). im just gonna calm down and see if I can fix her before thinking about a shop, thank you for talking me out of it
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Trip was FANTASTICALACIOUS...IBULOUS....NESS, OH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! lol.

Honest, was a great time, actually got to wheel a bit, posted it on my build thread, w/pics, etc.

Far as yours.... start with a couple simple tests. But first, seeing as it's an 87.... you should have the same diagnostic box, on the passenger side, that I do. It's around 1.75" x .75" in dimensions.... and, it's located just behind the Fusible Link Box(which is the big fuse type box just behind the battery. This lil box has a lid on it, .....under the lid, you should have a label inside, laying out which plug is which. As I remember, it's the center-bottom in the upper group and the left, center row, also in the upper group. First, just let me know you found it, k? lol.

Next, you CAN start pulling a couple connectors, CAREFULLY!(they're 24yrs old and BRITTLE AS ALL HELL! lol) BUT FIRST GET THE STORED CODES!(if you don't, ...you'll be actually placing new codes in the computer from when you pull these connectors.... I.e. TPS, Coolant Temp Sensor, etc.) . You might find some in there, already, that are irrelevant, mainly because they probably occurred after/while doing the install/removal of the motor, recently when you did that. But that one, whatever has been flashing, will be amongst whatever is stored in there. HOPEFULLY, when you reinstalled the motor, you left the battery unplugged until RIGHT BEFORE ready to fire it up for the first time...... this would mean that the ECU is 'cleared'. So, if you're lucky, and that's the case, you can just check for codes and find that ONE. Either way, it's no big deal..... you can always clear the codes(remove the 15A fuse in the kick panel on the driver side by your feet, inside the cab......don't worry, it also says "EFI" on the cover/locator, lol). Or, you can remove the battery ground for an hour or so, then start it up, get it to throw that light, then turn it off and check it. Make sense at all?

Your Haynes even is pretty decent with the codes portion, and in fact, it lists where the jumper goes as well as how to read them for each year, clear them, etc.

Get back when you have em, k? Best wishes, man!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 AM

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/...9-17-36-11.mp4
here is the link to the video..... still working on learning how to get videos to play on here. i think i can do it now that i made a youtube account but i have to wait until tomorrow to pay my phone bill. (first paycheck from new job) woooooo!!!

Quick Reply: bm87runner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread