86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BIGBOCK's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asha'man
Nice clean rig, man. Where are ya in CO?
Thanks Asha'man! I am up north about 20 minutes from downtown Denver.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:53 AM

Sweet, I'm in Littleton. Ever checked out CoTTORA?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
nice rig!

you gonna feel sad when you scratch up your bumpers and sliders out on the trail for the first time?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
nice rig!

you gonna feel sad when you scratch up your bumpers and sliders out on the trail for the first time?

Thanks space-junk! If I'm scratching my rock protection on the trail it means Im not down in the city. If Im not down in the city Im a happy man! I bought this rig to build and bang around in the mountains so I am not banging up my 3rd gen 4runner DD. When this one falls apart I'll be ready to put the 3rd gen on the trail.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Having a few days off proved to be useful this week as I got around to putting the rear Deaver springs on the 4runner. The PO had 3+ inch lift blocks under the rear when I bought it.

After letting the front hanger bolt on the the first spring kick my @$$ for a few hours, I finally cut it out. Luckily my presoaking worked on the other side and I was able to wrench it right out. Here are a few pics:

BEFORE on Blocks in rear:

AFTER with new 4 inch Deaver Spring pack:

The new springs actually lifted the rear 1 inch over the lift blocks height. I measured the rear aght from the bottom of my receiver on my rear bumper.

Heres a few more shots, one of my helper as well:

I only drove the rig around a bit afterward, much smoother, a bit bouncy initially. I drove it up on the highway to about 60 miles an hour to the next exit and no death wobble to speak of. I will run it around a bit more and post how it feels.

Next project will be installing my front and rear 4.88 diffs.

Thanks for stopping by.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:26 PM

awesome build man that looks like a fun project. clean runner too. cant wait to see more
Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by murdarunna19
awesome build man that looks like a fun project. clean runner too. cant wait to see more
Thanks murdarunna! Its been fun working on so far with the boys. And I am learning lots from YOTATECH and it's members.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM

This project looks awesome. Hope your summer with your sons is very rewarding!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Looking Great! Can't wait to see pics once you get it out on the trail!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Nice 4runner, LOVE the 1st gens.

Love seeing the boys helping out, get plenty of "help" from my boys too.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 PM

hooray for team work!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks for stopping by and the nice comments Romix, 4rnrlvr, 92 TOY and deez4wdsparechange!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 AM

It's been a while since I have posted anything mostly because of some engine leaks I have been chasing down. See this post to find out more https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-cover-210890/ and also some work needing done on my 98 4runner here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...-today-210402/

Now that those two projects are behind me, it's time to get these differentials swapped out. I am off work all next week and kicking it on the home-front so if the planets align these 4.88 diffs will be installed, my spare will get mounted on a rim and this rig will see it's first real trail.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 PM

WELL, I had my week off and did actually accomplish some things on the 4runner. NO, I didn't get it on the trail but I did manage to score and install some new (to me) FREE rear seats with headrests for the kiddos, a FREE middle seat belt, new FREE sun visors and some front buckets out of an Eagle Talon (not free) that gave me hell installing. I also got my spare tire mounted on a free rim for free at the tire shop and mounted my high lift jack to the stock roll bar with an old seat belt bolt. I also have a line on a free CB Radio I am going to get installed. Yes, there is a theme here, a keyword...FREE, like $FREE.99 my favorite price. The off road community is SO cool.

Pay it forward though, when I see folks in need of parts, you better believe if I can hook them up I will. BUT, right now I don't have any spare parts! - haha.

I know, pics...working on it.

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by BIGBOCK
WELL, I had my week off and did actually accomplish some things on the 4runner. NO, I didn't get it on the trail but I did manage to score and install some new (to me) FREE rear seats with headrests for the kiddos, a FREE middle seat belt, new FREE sun visors and some front buckets out of an Eagle Talon (not free) that gave me hell installing. I also got my spare tire mounted on a free rim for free at the tire shop and mounted my high lift jack to the stock roll bar with an old seat belt bolt. I also have a line on a free CB Radio I am going to get installed. Yes, there is a theme here, a keyword...FREE, like $FREE.99 my favorite price. The off road community is SO cool.

Pay it forward though, when I see folks in need of parts, you better believe if I can hook them up I will. BUT, right now I don't have any spare parts! - haha.

I know, pics...working on it.

Cheers!
Ok here are a few pics from the stuff above

New SR5 rear split bench and 3rd seat belt for one of my 3 Kiddos

Eagle Talon front buckets - drilled new holes

Super handy dandy extra socket seat lift

My ghetto booty fab rattlecanned marine cup holder, never spill a drink on any trail again!

One seat belt bolt and some velcro straps and your highlift is mounted

That's all for now folks
Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Finally got around to throwing these sway bar quick disconnects on, I will have to give her a quick drive tomorrow to see if I feel any difference with them on.

Wheeling trip coming up, gotta get some things ready for it, more to come.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Enjoy your build, especially the fact that you're doing it with your boys! Congrats on diving in and getting that timing cover issue takin care of! Looking forward to seeing your write up and thoughts on the 4.88's when you get them in...
Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 AM

Very cool ride! I love the sliders, and bumpers. Pretty cool you're working with the kids too, I used to help my dad out at his Mechanic shop...or I thought I was helping lol. Probably just getting in the way.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by 86 TOY
Enjoy your build, especially the fact that you're doing it with your boys! Congrats on diving in and getting that timing cover issue takin care of! Looking forward to seeing your write up and thoughts on the 4.88's when you get them in...
Thanks man, I am learning a lot, I really wanted to get the 4.88's in this weekend but it's not looking like it is going to happen. Maybe next. It's cool you recognized that timing cover was a beast of a job for me. I did end up with a slight oil pan leak afterward but when I am in there to do the front diff I am going to do the whole oil pan gasket.

Originally Posted by Psyche
Very cool ride! I love the sliders, and bumpers. Pretty cool you're working with the kids too, I used to help my dad out at his Mechanic shop...or I thought I was helping lol. Probably just getting in the way.
Haha, I hear ya, my kiddos are having fun with it, they cant wait to go wheel in 2 weeks. I will have the top off then with the bikini top on (I hope).

Cheers you guys
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by BIGBOCK
Finally got around to throwing these sway bar quick disconnects on, I will have to give her a quick drive tomorrow to see if I feel any difference with them on.

Wheeling trip coming up, gotta get some things ready for it, more to come.

I ripped around town yesterday and made sure to get on the freeway to try out the sway bar disconnects to make sure the ride was ok and it was great, actually felt better than before with the worn out bushings I guess.

I really want to get these 4.88 diffs installed before my wheeling trip in August but I keep going back and forth on finding a way to get a rear locker at least before I start installing. Money is tight so I would have to get really creative.

Quick Reply: BIGBOCK's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread