86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Beast in the making...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beast in the making...

Hello, I am a new member here, you can all call me Finish.

I live in Ocala, Fl. And i finally got my first 4x4 toyota.

My previous 4x4 vehicle was a Suzuki Samurai on 31's which i loved but had to sell cause it was just a toy. And then i had a 2004 Taco but it was just 2wd, but that didn't stop me from wheeling it.

Anyways I just got a 94 Pickup with a 4" suspension lift and 3" body lift, sitting on 36 inch Swamper. It's got the famous 22re engine, which i have fallen in love with. Not sure of the gearing, but it's definitely lower gears as it crawls up a hill with little slow, with very little gas needed.

Im using it for my work truck, im a self employed electrician/handyman, and also as a hunting vehicle, as well as a wheeler for when i get the urge.

I took a couple of pics today hill climbing, lol, i know its Florida, but we do have some crazy wash outs and small hills that can pose challenges.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say HI!!!
Attached Thumbnails Beast in the making...-articulation-04-14-13.jpg   Beast in the making...-articulation-block-lift.jpg   Beast in the making...-climbing-hog-hill.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome Finish. Nice looking truck. Thanks for the pics , we all love pictures.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome. Nice looking truck. You are gonna love the forum.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, and yes, I agree about the pics. More to come, i just did the rear brakes yesterday, should have taken some pics, but was so damn greasy cause PO packed grease in the drum housing, dumbass....

Anyway, i just got 2 new CV axles and upper ball joint, I'm sure it is a common job on here but ill post up some pics when i get the time to change em out.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Sounds good. Glad to see that you are not afraid to dive In an get yours hands dirty.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM

I really learned a lot from owning my Samurai, i really didn't have help any except the Zuki forums to help me do anything. Factory service manuals really help, lol, i was able to rebuild my front differential with one of those.

This truck hopefully will last al ot longer in my life than the others have, its everything i always wanted, just gotta make it mine now. Getting it cleaned up and fixing all the minor issues PO didn't fix.

I love Toyota offroad vehicles, the only other Yoto I would ever own would be an FJ w/ 6" lift on 35"s set up as a hunting rig with racks and all. But for now and for a while i am gonna work on this little monster and build it rite.

Last edited by FinishThaGame; 04-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Sounds like a good plan you have there. Be careful though. It turns into a crack addiction fast. Haha. More pics please.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome and nice looking rig. If you do a search for cv mods I think there is a write up on removing the studs and replacing them with bolts for easier removal getting them to slide out easier. Or something like that. I should know but I can't remember right now. If you can't find what your looking for with our search try google and put in yotatech in you search query with what your looking for. Welcome again and make yourself at home
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM

I ordered a new latch for my tailgate the old one was plastic and the arm that moved the mechanism that pulled in the tabs to open the tailgate had broken, so i shopped around and found one that was metal from 1Aauto.com, it was $22 shipped. Here are a couple pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails Beast in the making...-2013-04-20_10-31-32_870.jpg   Beast in the making...-2013-04-20_10-31-41_143.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 AM

Also i was thinking about getting my windows re tinted because the PO must have gone cheap, or it may have been a long time since they had the tint and it was bad. So anyways i know in my experience that when you go with dark tint 5%, 10% it makes it hard to see out the back at night, so I went to Advanced and bought some nice LED lights and hooked them into my reverse wiring, they are very bright and helped me decide to go with 5% on the rear windows and 10% on the sides, and later im gonna have the front windshield tinted as well. Anyways here is a pic of the LED's mounted to my rear bumper, just have to get that black tubing and cover the wires and strap them. Ill take some more close ups of the lights and a couple pics of tint after it has cured.
Attached Thumbnails Beast in the making...-2013-04-20_18-25-43_804.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM

dark window tint really blows out on the trails, its hard to see obsticals as it is sometimes. especially if its getting dark
Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
How dark on your front window are you going?? I have mine tinted and I like it and I hate it, it's 35% think a bit before you do it, if you get a chip it can't be repaired and you have to get used to your lights looking dim all the time. I have 5% all the way around and I love it but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Once my windshield cracks, because it will, I don't think I'm going to get it tinted again the rest at 5% is plenty
Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM

@ Toyatally, i know what you mean but in Florida its just about necessary, and the majority of the time that i do any night time off road driving is when i am hunting, and most of the trails are well groomed so i shouldnt have a problem, if anything i can always wire up some LED's in the front of the vehicle underneath and face them out and run a switch to dash board.

@ Discombobulated, im not sure but the guy who does the tinting has a High Performance tint on all 3 of his vehicle's front windshields and in the daytime you really can't tell a difference from mine and his. I had a Honda Accord with the 35% Solar Guard on the front and like you said at night the headlights looked dull, but the tint that this guy uses is a company called Madico, and they seem to be a very high end product, so we will see. Im gonna have it done on my wife's car first and see how she likes it. You can always just have it removed.....
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck! Welcome!

Ditch the rear bumper!!Gain more clearance for climbing, Maybe get one that hugs the box a little more?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 AM

Ive thought about that before but the bumper is very functional, i mean, there is no reason to ditch it, my uncle is a welder, he could cut the brackets shorter and re weld the bumper back on so it would be closer. But seriously, i live in Florida, ive never had clearance issues, especially with almost 7 inches of lift and 36 inch tires.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 AM

Tinting is a must for me also. But I cant bring myself to spend the money on it right now.

x2 on the rear bumper. I would also try to get it closer and tucked up to the body/frame to keep it out of the way.

Looking good man
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by FinishThaGame
Ive thought about that before but the bumper is very functional, i mean, there is no reason to ditch it, my uncle is a welder, he could cut the brackets shorter and re weld the bumper back on so it would be closer. But seriously, i live in Florida, ive never had clearance issues, especially with almost 7 inches of lift and 36 inch tires.
Definetly functional!! hitch, shackles, maybe its just that the outsides stick out past the box??? Not knocking it by any means and plenty of lift too.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Ditch the rear bumper. I will make sure it doesn't go to waste. . Looking forward to what you do with thing.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Ditch the rear bumper. I will make sure it doesn't go to waste. . Looking forward to what you do with thing.
Lol....

Nice build. You got my attention.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM

@ Kornhuskerwizard, the picture makes it seem alot worse than it is, it actually doesn't really stick out past the body, its pretty much in line with it, and i may have my uncle shorten the brackets so its closer, but for now im gonna leave it, just because its nice that it sticks out so i can use it as a step up.

@ thefishguy77, lol, your funny bro, i love that bumper.

@ Toyota~Boy, thanks for the support

@ Gizzler, pony up the dow and get a nice quality film, you'll never look back, here are some pics of the tint
Attached Thumbnails Beast in the making...-2013-04-23_12-40-18_29.jpg   Beast in the making...-2013-04-23_12-40-31_178.jpg   Beast in the making...-2013-04-23_12-40-49_99.jpg  

Quick Reply: Beast in the making...