86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Alfio's build - 1992 SR5 Hilux

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfio's build - 1992 SR5 Hilux

Hello all,

Finally getting around to posting pics on my very slow and relatively low budget build up for my 1992 Hilux (aka Pickup). This is what it looked like when I first bought it (minus the tow thingie up front). Things have gone down hill from there...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 AM

First set of 'mods' had to do with getting the truck back on the road after an accident. it was a really stupid accident but anyway, let me not get on that side track. it doesn't look too bad in the pics but the entire radiator support took a nasty hit and the driver's side inner fender was crushed. you can see my ISR delete + k&n in the first pic

i tried to stop (laid down a nice skid)

it took forever but i finally found a decent donor for the parts i needed and i pulled the wheelhouse off this 4runner. finding a relatively rust free toyota in indiana is not easy so this was a good find. i'm glad i took the wheelhouse because i didn't want crumpled sheet metal in the engine bay. it took a while to do out in the junkyard without many tools to lay a hand on but slowly drilling out the rivets and pounding the sheet metal without messing it up too much was the only choice. the 4runner also donated the hood to my post-accident rebuild.

after looking for a while for a decent bumper at the junkyards and on CL, i put down some money on an ARB bumper. this pic shows the truck after the wheelhouse was replaced and the replacement fender was put on (color doesn't even begin to match but that will be taken care of down the road):

i removed the wheel trim and put the stock mudflaps back on a while back. i finally found a replacement grill and corner light, those will be getting installed soon. thinking about going all black on the grill, we'll see

Last edited by alfio; 05-31-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM

random shot of my mis-use of the hi-lift:

not that it needs more uses but it worked perfectly as a helper in this little demolition project...
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

4runner bucket install thread: linky:

Last edited by alfio; 06-02-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM

haven't been updating this much but i've had a few projects for the hilux lately. the most recent one was to put in windoors on the sides of the truck cap / camper shell. (build and info thread on that).

Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 PM

Pics

Thats a nice looking truck, same paint scheme as mine but mine hasn't looked like that one in about 12 years.

I have 2 questions:

Where are all the in between pics of you removing the support stuff and Installation? I would really like to know how much you replaced. I used to know someone that was in the same situation and I had to him break it to him that is not just unbolt and bolt on stuff like older american cars.

I think that stuff would be great for your build topic to let us see all the removed how to's even if you had body shop weld the stuff on. Well great truck anyway and its good that your getting it back together.

I would also like to ask where to buy one of those "tow thingies"?
I like that it is retractable.
Are they expensive?

Jim
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by toystoplay

Where are all the in between pics of you removing the support stuff and Installation? I would really like to know how much you replaced. I used to know someone that was in the same situation and I had to him break it to him that is not just unbolt and bolt on stuff like older american cars.
i don't have any pics but there are a couple of threads on this board with decent pics. there are a lot of spot welds all over the pieces i replaced and it was not fun to have to drill them out and separate them from the other parts of the chassis (esp. at the junkyard where i got my parts because i was running low on batteries).

I think that stuff would be great for your build topic to let us see all the removed how to's even if you had body shop weld the stuff on. Well great truck anyway and its good that your getting it back together.
putting the stuff on would not have been too bad but i did have a shop do it because i wanted them to square it in the best way possible (which they more or less did).

I would also like to ask where to buy one of those "tow thingies"?
I like that it is retractable.
Are they expensive?
no idea on the tow thingie, the seller kept the connecting bar so i can't help you with that.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Oh I'm sorry I took that as you added the thing after you bought it then took the pic. My bad you did mean minus that thing so It must have been his pic. My Bad.

I like the buckets too.... I put mine in about a year ago. I didn't have to go through as much as you did with the fabric. I just unbolted and installed. now I have blue interior with tan 4 runner seats. Its good enough for my junk.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:27 PM

what have you done to the suspension?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by darionlear
what have you done to the suspension?
nothing yet, bone stock as it stands. why?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by alfio
nothing yet, bone stock as it stands. why?
just asking... i just did my rear chevy 63' upgrade and will begin starting the SAS soon