84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

The Wizard's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread "Amish Agent Orange"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wizard's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread "Amish Agent Orange"

a while back a good friend of min, amish kyle, decided to chop up his yota and stick the guts into a samurai. he offered me the 1985 toyota body frame and title to put back together if i wanted it. they say you can only polish a turd so much, well i must be the master polisher of the crap shiners union. what you see in the first few pics is what i got. they were taken just a few minutes after harper and kyle dropped it off.
the specs on it currently are 22r with offenhauser c manifold and weber 38 carb, it has some kind of aftermarket bigger cam lol, header with 2.25 inch exhaust through a flowmaster. the trans and case are stock for the moment but i want to do a twin stick setup soon. the rears have 4.88 yukons in them the back is spooled and the front is open. i wanna lock that once i get some birf eliminators. the tires are 38 swamper sx and as for the suspension its a mix of stuff i had layin around the yard lol. it also has home made junkyard bolt on crossover steering. funny thing is kyle gakked the parts off this to do up a samurai and i chopped up my samurai that was all yota to put this thing back together. people in jersey are weird

this is how the bed looked before i modified it.

notice where the exhaust comes out. i also changed this later on

the interior is a bit crusty. i got a parts truck with a real clean and complete dash so i swapped it out.

here is one of the front shackles i made. its holding in some 4 inch cj rear springs i had laying around. this job was a budget build. i used whatever i had laying around that would work correctly.

front spring adjusters.

some bondo and the old exhaust

again i used what iu had laying around for springs. this is the rear shackle i made and the shackle hanger i made using jeep cherokee polly shackle bushings that fit into some steel pipe.

i dont know what these came from, i got them out of the bed of a junker. they ride nice and are double wrapped military style at the fixed end though.

rot patch

this bumper was off my first yota flatbed i had about 10 years ago.

here is the first mod to the bed i did. this sweet tail light setup. the white lights are about as bright as the headlights believe it or not. its really nice seein where your goin when your backin up in the woods

new high and tite exhaust

this is the exhaust gaurd. it serves a few purposes. keeping me from slicing my self open when i walk into the exhaust when im drunk, keepin me from buring myself when im drunk, and most importantly to keep me from smashing the exhaust when i back into stuff...

white primer to make the kubota orange paint a little brighter

orange door and you can also see the bomb proof rear winch mount i made

the bed after i had my paws in it. sides were added and holes for the winch mount to pop through and for the tool box to sink into so its lower and cleaner lookin. also notice that it doesnt neck in at the front anymore. i also replaced the aluminum bed top diamond plate with 1/8" steel diamond plate. red oxide primer

38"

one of the bitchin door panels i made out of aluminum

mile marker 8k lb. needs new cable

inside the box is a 2nd battery for extra winchin power. the controller behind it i stole out of a road grader. it has a coily cord on it and stretches to the rear of the truck to work my winch. there is alo a control in the cab for the winch. you can alos see the winch solenoid box mounted in the tool box. i scored this box for $80 on craigslist. it was like new when i got it

i also stole these sweet lights out of the road grader. they were the interior lights in the graders cab. i have them wired into a toggle switch in the tool box lid. they really light it up nice when its dark.

here you can see the exhaust and the tool box sunk into the bed. it looked goofy sittin on top of the bed

got all my gears and instal kits from marlin crawler. im running 4.88 ring and pinions with a spool in the back and open up front until i get better axle shafts

haters can eat a D.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:27 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
WOW DUDE !!! Looks great like the orange
Old 05-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
pretty frigging cool budget build...
Old 05-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
NICE WORK MAN!!!
I love that flatbed
great work on the body!
Amazing work!
Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

HOLY ORANGE AWESOMENESS BATMAN!!! That rig is Sick looking! I want to have that kind of parts laying around my yard. Oh though the wife already does not care for the parts I have laying around the yard.

Regardless that truck is bad ass.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow looks like alot of thought...got a pic of the clean dash???

Hav you taken it out yet?? Does everything work the way you want?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Dude all I can say is that is SO SICK... AGENT ORANGE SICK...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 PM

That's a really nice rig. I like the way you did the bed with the toolbox and the winch.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:41 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude I have to say Thanks alot for all the detailed pics you posted helps alot .

How long did you work on this thing ?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:54 PM

that orange color is sick. what type of paint is it? the kind that you use on machines? i have to paint my truck someday with that color. and do you have to sand off the paint down to bare metal if its the paint used on machines. ive seen chemical reactions of paint going on top of a different type paint and the result aint pretty. and people like you stole lights off my dads cat skidsteer lol.

Last edited by gary96360; 05-23-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 PM

that truck is sweet, nice work. I like the "Do it in the pines" sticker, I have to find one of those for my truck.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 AM

thanks for all the feed back guys, it really means alot. im real proud of myself on this one cause i did everything myself. this was the first time i have painted with a paint gun and also the first time for setting up gears myself. i did however have guidance from a few friends in these two areas so i didn screw everything up lol. the paint was very easy to apply, its kubota orange one step enamel i got at tractor supply. i think its made by valspar. i mixed it up with some hadener they had so it would shine up nice and be scratch resistant in the woods. the bed is also tractor paint enamal with hardener in it. the painting was easy, the prep work was the hard part, very time consuming. i didnt snap any pics of the new dash cause i got a few panels off at the moment while im hookin up my tunes. as far as how it works, im gonna find out today. i do know that from takin out in the sand pit near my house that wheel hop is not an issue so im deffinetly happy bout that

Last edited by The Wizard; 05-24-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 AM

Beautiful build up man!!!
Great Great work.
I thought that paint looked familiar. I have to sit in one of those orange things (Kubota) all damn summer
Old 05-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

This is my favorite truck on the site right now. The simplicity and useful setup is just the tits in my opinion. I have a 86 parts truck that has a bad frame that i am considering piecing together later. I would love to have a runner and a pickup. But then my wife would want to drive one all the time....
Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM

thanks, im a big fan of simple and useful myself lol. i like having trick setups but at the same time i want it to be easy to use and not fail. i really like flatbeds cause they usually dont change shape when you rub a tree lol.
heres a couple action shots from this weekend. we dont have any rocks in south jersey so we mostly ride trails in the pines and play in the mud.

oops. atleast i can say the winch is i good workin order lol
Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM

I dare say you are an artist!!
Super build man!!!
Keep updating this thread please!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats one shiny turd!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
thats one shiny turd!

thanks!!!
plans for the very near futre are to get some tunes installed up in there with my sirius satellite radio, my cb, and i really really need to get somthin done up with the shifter boots. the air comin up through the shifter area makes it feel like its hotter than africa in there when your cruisin down the road. im also going to be making a tank to mount under the tool box, thats going to be 3+ gallons. not sure how much exactly yet, but its going to be for water and hooked into an after market 12v bilge pump for a boat. i plan to mount the pump in the tool box and route hose/piping through the cab up to the windsheild where it will come out into a manifold that i will also be making and concealing in a lund moon visor. this will function as a super windsheild washer setup. some of the mud i play in is thick and needs lots of water to come off so this setup should work nice. my lund visor is already painted and just waitin for the install of this setup. i'll be taking plenty of pics while i do it and post them up for sure. hoping to start that in the next few weeks
Old 05-25-2009, 07:28 PM

that truck is definately sick. Im usually not a flat bed kinda guy but that one is pretty nice. I absolutely LOVE those door panels!!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great

Quick Reply: The Wizard's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread "Amish Agent Orange"